The Beatles were really talented, but...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bottlenecker, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

The Beatles? Gross! That’s old people music!!! Drive me to the mall!

dlew919 likes this.
  2. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

de gustibus non disputandum est = there's no accounting for taste.

You've written paragraph after paragraph of nothing but bilge. These aren't myths and misinformation, they're opinions that are different than yours. No more, no less. You can't "debunk" someone else's opinion just because they disagree with you.

Grow up.

awasson and mindlobster like this.
  3. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

The truth is whatever music you like when you were a teenager is going to be the "best" and everything else will be trash.
    You will not like your parent's music, and you will not like your children's music.
    Neither your parents nor your children will like your music.
    This is all perfectly normal. The sooner you reconcile yourself to these facts you will lead a much happier life.
    Same as it ever was.

trouserpress and RoyBGood like this.
  4. Diagoras

Diagoras Tele-Holic

Nothing could be further from the truth with me and my peers, at least not as adults. Once we were in college in the latter half of the 90s, there wasn't much contemporary rock that interested us. Instead, we were delving into 60s rock and soul, 70s reggae and funk, 50s jazz, etc.

Only liking music of one's own generation seems almost comically naive and closed-minded, not to mention that it would drastically limit your musical knowledge and skills. I literally don't know anybody like that.

stevemc, awasson and teleman1 like this.
  5. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

”The Beatles were really talented, but...”

tomorrow may rain, so I’ll follow the sun

Georox likes this.
  6. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Take the needle out of your arm;reality will set in. THe falsity in your comments assumes you hate authority and do not respect anything new. If you were born into music, introduced to most of the variants;ie a well balanced musical education. You wouldn't be thinking as you do. I was born in 55. At what age should I have gotten into music as you did. I had record players, juke box's, older Brother & Sister. By the time I was 10, 1965. I knew who Louis Armstrong and Benny Goodman was, I was an authority on the Beatles, And I knew of and listened to most of the 50's Rockers and soul/R&B. I knew the music your parents probably liked too, The Archies, Monkess, etc, we called that teeny bopper music. Teeny Bopper music was the corporate beginnings of music that is tied to the catastrophe we have now. Few things are great cause they can't compare to any hint in the last 70 years. Corporate has your ears by their balls. Propaganda has trained and filter many of our youth. Gaming and repetitive music is the color of the day. Is there great new stuff, Yes there is. Will the mainstream ever get exposed to it and will the artists be a success? NO. WE don't give current artists respect like there was in the 60's & 70's. Valencia! Think bigger, look around you.

DekeDog and Georox like this.
  7. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

We have a word for teachers like that. Deadbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P Thought likes this.
  8. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Meister

I love the beatles, the only potential dig people who are fanatical about them, is that they don't tend to be aware of ihow production heavy alot of their best stuff is. People listen to their stuff and don't realize the major roles people outside of the band played in getting that sound. That is a big reason why people like them, not just because they wrote great songs.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  9. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Beatles are one of my favorite bands, and I came out the same year that Abbey Road did. In fact, quite a bit of stuff from the 60s/70s ranks high on my list.

Georox likes this.
  10. Frodebro

Somebody registered specifically to resurrect a zombie thread and morph it into their own personal blog.

11. Frodebro

If this were true, then everybody who recorded anything in that same time period, in that same studio, using the same studio personnel would have been just as popular.

12. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Holic

Ime Valencia describes just how the majority ticks. Just because his assumption doesn't apply to you, Diagoras or even Valencia himself doesn't mean he's wrong (or right). But I think he is right as well as I'm sure this topic has been examined by statistics.

13. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

I stopped being cool in the '80s. I remember hearing Buddy Holly and Elvis on the radio. I learned Folk and Country music on guitar in my early teens, and I liked R&B/Soul in my mid-teens. Then came the British Invasion and Woodstock... what we now call Classic Rock. Fortunately for me, since then I have rediscovered the music from my parents' generation, Blue Grass, Jazz, etc. Today, I look for music from more mature musicians that I have missed, or I'm finding more obscure music from the '40s thru the '80s. Don't get me wrong, I like some newer music, but I don't seek it out. Players like Jimmy Herring, Derek Trucks, Joe Satriani, etc. give me renewed inspiration on guitar along with jazz and Fusion from non-guitar players.

I'll never get tired of the Beatles, but for the most part, Classic Rock doesn't do it for me any more. It is NOT true that my favorite music was from my teens... many of us grow out of that stuff. In fact, I'd much rather listen to something else. But, I do often find myself improvising around melodies from those eras.

14. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

... so were the 8th grade cheerleaders?

15. Diagoras

Diagoras Tele-Holic

I said that it wasn't even remotely true for the people I know, whereas he stated that it was true for everyone. He clearly assumed the everyone only listens to music of their own generation. You think he's right? Ok, sure. I don't know why I bother.

16. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

OK, I have made a decision. I am totally right on about this subject.

17. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

I thought this was going to be a “complete the sentence” challenge. I was going to go with “The Beatles were really talented, but... Beyonce had one of the best videos of all time!” Kinda bummed that I don’t get to use it now.
    [​IMG]

18. Marquee Moon

I said that people outside the beatles had an important hand in the final outcome of the recordings. Production and arrangments were very important.

19. Frodebro

Sure, but it was a grainy, black & white performance on Ed Sullivan that lit the world on fire.

20. Marquee Moon

Personally, I'm a bigger fan of early to mid period beatles. A hard days night is one of my favorite records. I think most people though, when they talk about how important the beatles are, it is because of their psychedelic period.

Frodebro likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.