The Beatles were really talented, but...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bottlenecker, Sep 3, 2018.

1. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

good point...the people that capture the music & put it together are very important. My studio guy & soundman..are an integral part of the process

2. Topazthecat

Topazthecat TDPRI Member

What is really ridiculous is a lot of the inaccurate ignorant things that were said about The Beatles on here and sadly almost everywhere for years now.

RoyBGood likes this.
  3. Topazthecat

Topazthecat TDPRI Member

Actually The Beatles are the most covered music artists ever,every type of music artists and musicians have recorded their great timeless songs,Motown,classical,jazz,pop,rock,and even a heavy metal tribute album Butchering The Beatles by former Kiss guitarist and huge Beatles fan Bob Kulick who saw them live in 1966 and said they were great.

4. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

BEATLES.
    most prolific
    Most original
    Most influential
    Most beloved band ever
    Hands down!

Topazthecat likes this.
  5. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Well opinions are what they are, but they don't get to rewrite history in any lasting way. So either let it go or start a fact-filled thread on the topic.

But remember, "I hate the Beatles" is not the same thing as "they were an unimportant band." The first statement is unimpeachable, the second is unsupportable. ;)

awasson, AAT65 and RoyBGood like this.
  6. Topazthecat

Topazthecat TDPRI Member

Actually I have a lot of information about how many music fans and several rock music critics who say Led Zeppelin are really overrated and can't stand Robert Plant's annoying screaming screeching vocals and most of their ''music'' meaning tuneless noise with no beautiful melodies and harmonies to save itself.

7. Topazthecat

Topazthecat TDPRI Member

Some things are opinions but there are some things that are very inaccurate,ignorant myths and misperceptions and I posted a lot of great strong information with facts correcting this but it's waiting moderation approval and if I started a new topic it might not get approved and I would have to mention that I was responding to the very inaccurate things said in this topic.

8. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

This thread should wear a DNR pendant to prevent blowtorch having yet another go at them. :lol:

AAT65 likes this.
  9. Topazthecat

Topazthecat TDPRI Member

I Hate The Beatles is incomprehensible and mostly comes from the sadly very common ignorant,inaccurate myths about them that were said on here also.

10. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Meister

I hear The Monkees were a hudge influence on The Beatles.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    AAT65 likes this.
  11. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

It's all a generational issue, and not an "influential" or even a talented issue. The younger you are, the less likely you are to care about the Beatles, Chuck Berry, Elvis, etc, etc. The older you are the less likely you are to like Indie, Punk, New wave, Electronic, Hip-Hop, Rap, etc, etc. As previously stated, the OP was trolling and got the desired result, 41+ pages of opinions, and arguments about opinions. Personally, I couldn't give a crap about what ANYONE thinks about my opinion of the Beatles, or any other so called "influential" musical act. I like what I like, and don't like, or want to like what I'm not interested in.

aging_rocker and awasson like this.
  12. Topazthecat

Topazthecat TDPRI Member

Yes thank you and most people,most rock critics and countless famous,successful rock and other musicians call them the Greatest band ever, over their own bands,including Ozzy Osbourne who has been a huge Beatles fan since he heard She Loves You on his transistor radio when he was 15 in 1963 and he said this is what made him want to go into music,David Gilmore was asked in a recent TV interview and it's on youtube,if Pink Floyd were the best band ever and then The Beatles,and he said in about a few seconds,No The Beatles are the best ever.He was also interviewed in Mojo Magazine in 2008 and he said that he thinks The Beatles were fantastic and that he wishes he had been in The Beatles and he said he learned everything from them,how to play lead,bass and rhythm guitar.

Brian May of Queen also says that The Beatles were Queen's bible and that he's the biggest Beatles fan on earth and that he would have voted for all of The Beatles songs in a music poll years ago,Liam Gallagher of Oasis also called The Beatles the greatest band of all time,etc etc and Brian Wilson,Elton John,classical composer and conductor Leonard Bernstein etc,etc called John Lennon and Paul McCartney the greatest song writers of the 20th century,over their own solo artist selves,most members of rock bands and solo artists want to believe and the public to believe that they are the greatest,so it's really a big deal when they say it about someone else.I would post the links to these articles but it might not get approved.

There are also many famous successful bass players who have praised Paul McCartney as one of the best,most influential melodic bass players ever in his Beatles years too including,Sting,Geddy Lee,Stanley Clark,Will Lee, Billy Sheehan,John Stirratt of Wilco ,and John Lennon and George Martin.

And sorry to disappoint anyone calling The Beatles a ''pop band'' and not a rock and roll,and rock band,they were mostly a great rock and roll,pop rock,and rock band,but they were so diverse and creative that they wrote and played all types of music not just rock and roll,and rock,but they certainly wrote plenty of it from their early days to the end.They wrote and played like 50 years worth of mostly great ( and what wasn't great was still good) of all different types of popular,critically acclaimed music in just an amazing 8 year recording career,nobody has done this before,during or since.

bcorig and RoyBGood like this.
  13. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire

Those are just opinions and just like anyone slagging the Beatles... Saying "I hate Led Zeppelin" is also not the same thing as "they were an unimportant band." The first statement is unimpeachable, the second is unsupportable ;)

Special thanks to @JuneauMike for coining that phrase.

14. Topazthecat

Topazthecat TDPRI Member

The Beatles Top All Time Rock Band Monmouth University National Poll

This recent November 2018 poll was of 805 people of all ages called at random, back in the early 2000's out of over 1000 random people who were called,The Beatles won the Zogby poll,The Virgin Records poll, and in 1999 The Gallup Poll ,and VH1 and Rolling Stone asked a large group of rock critics and many famous successful musicians who the greatest most influential music artists and bands are,and The Beatles were voted # 1 also.

15. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Except they even that is qualified. Otis Redding, booker T, Motown acts did Beatles songs. And the studio work inspired people like Isaac Hayes and sly stone and prince.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Topazthecat

Topazthecat TDPRI Member

There are also many music academic scholars some who are musicians and composers themselves,such as 34 year old Aaron Krerowicz who has two degrees in musicology one from University Of Hartford Connecticut and he plays many instruments,and writes his own music too,he lectures all over the country and in England about The Beatles brilliance and has written several books about their chords,melodies and harmonies including in their early music etc,

So has musician, music professor Walter Everett who is the author of the two volume,The Beatles As Musicians,and there is award winning music professor and classical composer Dr.Glen Gass who has been teaching a Beatles and rock and roll course since 1982 at the University Of Indiana School Of Music.

And University of Southern California music professor and musician Bill Biersach who also has been a huge life long Beatles fan and also teaches a Beatles course for many years,and music professor,musician,song writer,music producer,and the first female guitar teacher Lauren Passarelli who also teaches a Beatles course at Berklee College of Music for many years,said she's been a huge Beatles fan since she saw them on The Ed Sullivan show when she was only 4 years old in February 1964.

And so does award winning Berklee College of Music bass player Suzanne M.Clark who teaches in the harmony and song writing departments,she teaches classes on The Beatles,solo Beatles and John Lennon's music.

And Scott Freiman who has a degree in musicology from Yale University,and is a composer,music professor and musician,he has written a book,and has created video lecture presentations,Deconstructing The Beatles Chords including their early music and he too shows how brilliant they really always were.

All of them have seriously studied,praised and analysed all of The Beatles music and have explained how The Beatles specifically John Lennon and Paul McCartney wrote inventive ,complex chords even in their early 1962 and 1963 songs,especially the 11 year online detailed analysis of all 200 Beatles songs by University of Penn graduate musicologist ( 1 of the top ivy league universities in the US) Alan Pollack's Notes On every Beatles song series,he became a computer analyst too.

Bob Dylan also was interviewed in Rolling Stone Magazine in the Spring of 2007 and he praised John,paul,and George as great song writers,and said there were no better singers than John Lennon and Paul McCartney and that he's totally in awe of Paul McCartney and that he's the only music artist he's in awe of,he said he can do it all and he's just never let up.

Bob Dylan is also quoted in Rolling Stone Magazine's 100 Greatest Song Writers Of All time,and he has said the same things years ago in other interviews,that when he first heard The Beatles on the radio in early 1964 during a car trip,he noticed that 8 of the hit songs played were hits by The Beatles,and he said he knew that they were not a teen fad,that they were taking music in the direction it needed to go,and said their chords were outrageous,just outrageous and that their harmonies made it all valid.

Tom Petty also was interviewed with Ozzy Osbourne in a youtube video interview and they both said how great The Beatles were including the early Beatles and The early Beatles playing live was shown. In 2009 the on site Music Radar Tom Petty,Alan White of Yes,
    Richie Sambora of Bon Jovi,and Joe Perry of Aerosmith all are interviewed in,what The Beatles Mean To Me,and Tom Petty saw them on The Ed Sullivan show as a kid and said he thought they were really,really great,so did Richie Sambora who watched them at 5 years old and became a fan and they were all motivated to go into music,as many other famous,successful musicians have also said.

And in amazon reviews of the excellent detailed Beatles music diary book,The Beatles Recording Sessions by Beatles scholar expert Mark Lewisohn,where many of their tape operators,recording engineers, and their producer George Martin are interviewed (and there is a great long interview with Paul McCartney in the beginning of the book) and it really shows how truly innovative,brilliant,and creative,they were especially John and Paul in the recording studio.

One of the reviews was by a musician himself like many of the reviewers,He so accurately titled his review of this book,Behind The Creative Genius Of A Groundbreaking Band and he said he found Mark Lewisohn's portrayal of The Beatles genius and in parenthesis he says,(especially that of John Lennon and Paul McCartney to be completely thorough and accurate,as well as insightful,he then said if you are to buy one Beatles book buy this one.

And a reviewer RAS who became a big Beatles fan after he read his great book said,when he first saw this book he said,Oh another garbage Beatles book,but after reading it he said,I think The Beatles are brilliant! And he said he despairs what his life would be without The Beatles and spent new years eve 2001 listening to all of The Beatles CD's highly more impressed with how they wrote ,and recorded all of them.

John Lennon and Paul McCartney wrote one of The Rolling Stones first hit songs,the rock and roll song I Wanna Be Your Man in 1963 and they wrote it right in front of Keith Richards and Mick Jagger who were very impressed that they could just write a song just that and it inspired them to start writing their own songs and both bands became friends from then and Mick Jagger was at 4 Beatles recording sessions and Keith Richards was at 2 of them with him.

John and Paul were such amazing song writers that they were already writing hit songs for other music artists besides The Rolling Stones in 1963 just as their own song writing success was getting off the ground,which was really unusual at the time,most solo music and rock and roll groups had professional song writers writing for them. John and Paul wrote hits in 1963 for Celia Black,Billy J.Kramer and The Dakotas and Peter and Gordon.

On youtube there is a 2008 Keith Richards interview where he's asked who he thinks the 5 other greatest bands besides The Rolling Stones are,and he said he has to put The Beatles in there obviously,but he said I'm not going to say The Who or Led Zeppelin,because he would lying because they aren't his favorites.There is also an online 2016 picture of keith Richards holding a sign, I heart The Beatles.

There is also an online 1977 interview with Eric Clapton,eric Clapton In His Own Words on a site called Super Seventies where he said there was always this game ( meaning guitar game) between John and George Harrison,and he said partly because John was a pretty good guitar player himself.And Eric was referring to John's Beatles years and Eric was a member of John Lennon's 1969 live band,The John Lennon Plastic ono Band.

I would like to post links to all of these but for some reason when I include them it has to wait for moderation approval.

bcorig likes this.
  17. Topazthecat

Topazthecat TDPRI Member

On the site Grade Saver,What Was Important About Hamburg Germany To The Beatles Success As A Band? 1000's of hours of live playing experience. The article also says that by comparison most bands today don’t play 1,200 times in their entire career.

And this by the time they recorded their first album,Please Please Me in February 1963 in only one day and they were playing it live,which they had to do with their first 4 albums because there was no overdubbing until 1965.

In a 1971 interview John Lennon said that they played for 8 hours a night from( 1960-1962) in the sleazy strip clubs of Hamburg Germany and he said that every song was 20 minutes long and had 20 minute solos in them,and that's why they had to take speed pills to stay awake to be able to do it. Then they played successfully in the Liverpool cavern Club for several years before they made their first album.

18. Topazthecat

Topazthecat TDPRI Member

In this All Music Guide review of The Beatles 1963 second album,With The Beatles Stephen Thomas Erlewine who wrote The All Music Guide's Rolling Stones biography,and reviews a lot of Beatles and solo Beatles albums, says at the end of the very good review that still the heart of With The Beatles lies not in the covers but the originals where it was clear that even at this early stage The Beatles were rapidly maturing and changing turning into expert craftsman and musical innovators.

No one would ever say this about One Direction or *any* true boy band who are manufactured,don't play any musical instruments,much less be very good musicians like The Beatles were,and don't write music much less be song craftsman and musical innovators.

19. Topazthecat

Topazthecat TDPRI Member

Not only is this so ignorant,ridiculous,and false on a creative and musical level,but on their personal level too. I guarantee true genuine boy bands don't have groupies.

The Beatles had sex with *tons* of young women groupies,many who were just teen girls especially during their touring years of 1963-1966 ironically they did this the most during the joke fake cleaned up image Brian Epstein created for them in their early days.

In reality they were like pimps playing the part of priests! It's no coincidence that in The Beatles Anthology video series that Paul,George and Ringo made,the story that is reported of The Beatles being thrown out of a US hotel in August 1965 because Paul was found in his hotel bedroom with an underage girl, that is included in the first great Beatles documentary from 1982 The Complete Beatles which none of them had any involvement making,is completely left out of The Beatles Anthology.

Paul McCartney also said in Hunter Davies 1968 first edition of the only authorized great Beatles biography called,The Beatles, that he had sex at age 15 with a girl who was older and bigger than him,and most 15 year old boys weren't having sex in 1957,and he said he bragged about it to his classmates the next day and that he was the first one in his class to have sex.Paul also said in this book,that he would go into strip clubs at only 13 and he was the lad in his class that drew nude women.He also got another girl who was his girl friend,pregnant when he was 17 and she was 16,and Paul's father and her parents wanted them to get married but she had a miscarriage.

Hunter Davies says in his 1985 update of his Beatles biography, that The Beatles were no different from any other rock band when it came to groupies and he said they just had more to chose from. He said it was up to the road manager to say to these young women,you,you and you 5 minutes later which is really sexist and disgusting but it's totally typical for every rock band which is what they always were.

Why I Didn't Tell The Whole truth About The Beatles by Hunter Davies in The New Statesman October 2012

This 1983 people Magazine review of the then new book by The Beatles manager Brian Epstein's assistant, Peter Brown called The Love You Make:An Insiders Story Of The Beatles says that the book is a gothic tale of drugs,sex,music,greed and genius. It also says that the book also reveals what unlovely lives The Beatles really led,gulping speed,sucking down Scotch,keeping dozens of groupies in various hotel rooms for indiscreet pleasure,The Beatles far more resemble The Rolling Stones than the fresh-faced youngsters the press has always rhapsodized about.

Paul McCartney saying in his recent GQ interview that he masturbated with John and a group of other teenage boys when they were teens and that Paul had sex with two prostitutes when The Beatles were on Tour in Las Vegas, they played Las Vegas on August 20,1964.

from GQ Magazine September 2018

The Untold Stories Of Paul McCartney

No doubt when George sings the lines in this song he wrote When We Was Fab,about caresses in the morning light,casualties at dawn and we did it all,George was definitely referring to how wild they all really were having sex with tons of young women groupies,many who were under age teen girls,ironically they did this the most when they were touring from 1963-1966 with their joke fake cleaned up image wearing their matching suits and ties.

20. Topazthecat

Topazthecat TDPRI Member

How come only when highlighted links are included the post waits for moderation approval,but without them it gets posted? I have seen other members post links including of youtube videos.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.