The Beatles were really talented, but...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bottlenecker, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Dixon in Korea

Dixon in Korea Tele-Meister

Back n the late 70s/early 80s, there was a Bermuda Triangle craze. There was at least one best-selling book about it that listed all the ships that had mysteriously disappeared in the Bermuda Triangle. Several years later, I read an article debunking the book—the author of the article went back and looked at the shipping records for all those ships that had mysteriously disappeared. Turns out, most of those ships had not mysteriously disappeared; most of them hadn’t even sunk in the Bermuda Triangle. Turns out the author of the Triangle book had listed essentially every ship that had passed through the Triangle and sunk as a mysterious disappearance, even if the ship sank months later, thousands of miles away from the Triangle.

This thread reminds me of that book. The Beatles are being credited as being “foundational” for just about everything they did. If someone did it before the Beatles, well, they didn’t do it like the Beatles did. If someone did something massively influential outside the pop/rock genre, well, we wouldn’t have ever heard of them if it weren’t for the Beatles. Basically, if the Beatles don’t get credit for it, it doesn’t count.

The funniest part is that people who have a broad knowledge of the history of popular music are accused of being ignorant or not understanding if they don’t accept that the Beatles are the basis of everything they listen to. Comedy gold.

bottlenecker, blowtorch and MilwMark like this.
  2. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I can see why you'd want to portray it that way, but this thread isn't even about that. I've seen a few fanboy comments, but most of the posts just seem to want to acknowledge the fact that the Beatles had a massive impact on music and culture that is unmatched. It's simply a fact that the historical record shows that the Beatles were, for real, THAT massively important, and their influence (though diluted every passing year) is still felt today. Denying it is simply delusional.

What I HAVE seen is a small group of posters working very hard to ignore the obvious and deny that the Beatles were the singular pop culture event of the last 70-some years. I can't understand why anyone would want to do this, but I can't understand why kids would eat Tide pods, either. Vive la difference, I guess.

Personally, the Beatles aren't even in my top 10- I'll take the Who, Kinks or Stones over them any day, but I still give them their due.

Given the illogical hash he posted before, it was definitely the smart move for him.

3. Totally_Tod

Totally_Tod Tele-Meister

Easy, tough guy... save some cool for the rest of us.

StrangerNY likes this.
  4. brucerbc

brucerbc TDPRI Member

Is nobody finishing the sentence anymore?

The Beatles were really talented, but... John Lennon always struck me as a bit of a dick, Paul as desperate to be liked, Ringo as uninspiring, and George as ... well ... the smartest, most talented and all-round coolest in the group!!!

Always been more of a Stones than Beatles fan, but those Liverpudlians could certainly write a tune!

Rowdyman likes this.
  5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

We keep seeing these posts, and I keep shaking my head.
    The idea that the beatles had an impact on culture that is unmatched, I do not buy, not for one second.

they were entertainers.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    boredguy6060 likes this.
  6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

puts out a tray of Savoy Truffles...:)

.. anyone care for one?..:D

awasson and Dacious like this.
  7. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

My dad owned a neighborhood bar that served as one of the local watering holes for blue collar workers.
    The juke box ran almost every minute we were open. The guy who serviced it, changed out the records and labels, cleaned it and so forth. He comes in shortly after the Beatles performed on the Ed Sullivan Show.
    He says to my dad, “ these Beatle records are driving me nuts,” “Beatles, Beatles, that’s all they want, they’re calling the company and wanting us to load them up with Beatle songs, and we can’t get’em, they’re driving me nuts”
    I’m real interested in this conversation because I’m hoping he loads us up with Beatle songs. We had a huge Wurlitzer and that baby sounded amazing. I wanted everything he had, but the old man was not a Beatle fan at all.
    My dad had more of country streak.
    Any way, as anecdotal as it my be I can tell you that Beatle songs, which were only about three the first time around, were played 50% of the time. The Beatles were all anyone was talking about.
    They made a huge impact to the ones who were into pop music.
    Looking back after 50 plus years and trying to see what all the fuss was about are really wasting their time because if you weren’t there to feel the energy that this music explosion created then there is no way to explain it.
    The Beatles were on Ed Sullivan about six weeks after Kennedy was killed, maybe we just wanted to hear about peace and love after that trauma, who knows.

drlucky, Georox, StrangerNY and 2 others like this.
  8. blowtorch

I mean, I'm sure it was exciting the first time anyone saw a silent movie.

9. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I see what you did there...

10. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

Have it all. You might be thinking of someone else.

11. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

you had to have been there.
    John Lennon said that there were many bands as good as or better than the beatles.
    they feed the starmaker machine sex, drugs booze, and cash, better than anyone else.
    I dare you to sing The long and winding road , yer blues, #9 #9 #9 #9 #9 #9

boredguy6060 likes this.
  12. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Seriously, I know you want to not acknowledge facts but unless you were living under a rock for the past nearly 60 years, it’s indisputable that the Beatles had an effect that changed the world, popular culture, music, the music business etc... Just because you insist it didn’t happen, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

EDIT: I don’t play a lot of Beatles. I’m more into Zeppelin, Hendrix, Steely Dan, Hard Rock, etc... but credit where credit is due.

13. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

or "heard" in colour for the first time....:twisted::D

Georox and awasson like this.
  14. blowtorch

OK, but the statement had been an unmatched impact on culture. So that would then mean, the beatles are bigger and more significant in terms of impact on society than everything, ever. o_O (not just other bands, but bigger than the development of agriculture :lol:) It's ridiculous statements like this that I just can't help but disagree with.
    And, I like the beatles, even

15. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Could be. I’m going to let that percolate for a while and see if I can come up with any “thing” that has had such an enourmous impact on culture.

16. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

The person with the biggest cultural impact of the last 70 yrs.

[​IMG]

Dacious likes this.
  17. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Rowdyman, Dacious, drlucky and 3 others like this.
  18. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

19. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Quoting John Lennon about the Beatles is not especially accurate. To say he was the least enamoured of the whole situation is only part of why his opinion isn't an accurate reflection on the situation. Mean, nasty, vicious are all comments said about him. I doubt his opinion is either accurate or possibly even honest.

Blowtorch, your desire to negate any and all impact of the Beatles is clouding your normally good contributions. OF course they had an enormous impact on culture. To say that agricutlure had more is ridiculous and far removed from the point. Pop culture, teen culture etc....i.e. SOCIAL culture.

The music instrument brands of the day STILL acknowledge the Beatles as the biggest impact on sales to now......Tom PEtty and truckloads more artists say openly it was THE defining moment of their lives.....isn't any of that an impact on "culture" ?

What about the haircuts, the dress style. The start of the British Invasion.......Im not even of the era and can see it.

I guess if you don't want to believe something you've shown quite clearly that you just won't.

BuckNekkid, RoyBGood, drlucky and 3 others like this.
  20. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

The Beatles are not overrated, as recording artists or a cultural force. They were perhaps overrated when they made their U.S. debut on "The Ed Sullivan Show," but over the next few years they progressed way beyond what anyone could've imagined.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.