The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones. Who do you like more?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by scout2112, Nov 6, 2019 at 11:49 AM.

Who do you like more?

1. The Beatles

167 vote(s)
    60.9%
  2. The Rolling Stones

107 vote(s)
    39.1%
  1. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Meister

Roy Orbison or Chuck Berry, Saturday or Sunday, be thankful we have both.

2. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

I bet the Kids today don't know one Stones Song but at least some Beatles Songs

3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Bluorange

4. Apache Snow

Apache Snow TDPRI Member

The Beatles wrote and recorded over 200 songs. Yesterday is one of the most covered songs ever. Frank Sinatra and also George Martin said that Something by Harrison was the greatest love song ever written.

5. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I like the Beatles—a lot...but...

The Stones could do anything the Beatles did, but the Beatles couldn’t do all the things the Stones did.

This is not a knock on the Beatles...I’m a decent-to-fairly-ok untrained guitarist, but I can do stuff my shredderific, classically-trained luthier friend can’t comprehend...it’s a matter of feel that he doesn’t have.

6. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

some of you guys are missing the question...its...who do you like...not...who is better

i remember seeing an album...beatles vs rolling stones at my aunt house when i was a kid...dont know what happened to that record...have a vague memory of what it looked like...when i search for it there are a few that are similar...cant pin point it at all

7. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

8. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

For me, if you wanna talk about who do ya like better, the Fabs were the first band I ever loved. Started buying their records when I was ten or so, saving my dimes until I had $5.98, then getting the next album on my list. In between, I read every book about the band I could get my hands on. So to me, the Beatles aren't even just a band, they're interwoven into the fabric of my life. I imagine a lot of fans feel that same way.

The Stones are the Fabs' little brothers. Face it, as Lennon famously said, they copied a few months later every move the Beatles made. (That's not to say that those mid-sixties Stones tunes aren't great, they are!) It wasn't until the Beatles began splitting apart (and Mick Taylor joined the band) that the Stones found their mature voice. It's like the big brother had to move out of the house before the little brother could stop living in their shadow. That lasted Beggars through Exile and then they never really grew or changed much. Drugs, infighting. They're now a corporate machine, have been for decades.

That golden period with Taylor is untouchable, and for sure there was a time when they were the World's Greatest Rock n Roll Band. They are deservedly at the top of the rock n roll heap with the Fabs, Who, Kinks, Zep etc. But the Beatles were something else all together.

rand z and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  9. Apache Snow

Apache Snow TDPRI Member

You kidding right. You ever tried to play the Beatles songs. They have difficult chords progressions and are not that easy to play. The Beatles were the best song writers in this century according to George Marten. They are pretty good musicians as well, playing multable instruments. Most any body can play a Stones song. And in the early days the Beatles played mostly rock songs.

Tommyd55 likes this.
  10. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

Kind of unbelievable in a way, but obviously they are not even in the same league..

certified US record sales Beatles 183 million, Stones 66 Million.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I am not going to get into disagreements over the same. I have read a few comments here that I think are way off base, but in the end it's no skin off my butt.. everyone knows the old saying about opinions and mine carries no more weight than anyone else's , except to me..

The above numbers above tell the story. The Stones, who I like just fine, have been actively touring for over 40, let's make that 50 years after the Beatles as a group hung it up. The Beatles haven't toured since 1966 and their last actual studio album (Let It Be) was released in 1970.
    I would bet that Mick and Keith would give their left testicles to have the sales The Beatles do.. but they don't. It ain't even close.
    jmo.

Apache Snow likes this.
  11. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

Oddly..

One or the other alternatively!

Face it the Beatles were far and away greater innovators if that counts for anything and the Sones were basically a revved up R&B outfit.

Beatles collapsed ~1970 and the Stones haven't mattered since one blip in 1978...

Plus no one in the Beatles did anything quite like this:

Greggorios likes this.
  12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Not kidding.
    I didn’t say the Beatles weren’t better musicians; I said they couldn’t do what the Stones did/do.

The Stones did British pop and psychedelia and rock & roll and poppy songs with archaic instruments and political statements and everything else the Beatles did...whether they did it well is up to your interpretation...but I’m stating my opinion about two bands that I like very much...

But do you think the Beatles could have made “Beggars Banquet” or or “Let It Bleed” or “Sticky Fingers” or “Exile On Main Street”? Heck no!

I’d add later albums, such as “Some Girls” and “Black and Blue” to that list...even the album of leftovers—“Tattoo You”—was brilliant.

When the Stones had their epiphany in 1968 and re-branded themselves as a blues/rock band (as opposed to a British Invasion Pop band), they quit following and started a path of their own.

Don’t get me wrong—I love the Beatles, and they are/were supremely talented, but the Stones have done many things the Beatles couldn’t do.

And that’s ok. It’s not a criticism, it’s just my interpretation. An opinion poll (such as what started this thread) is just that—An Opinion Poll.

Greggorios likes this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oh so by "The Beatles" we mean "the idea of the Beatles", not the old defunkt band that broke up mid last century.

Put the Beatles on a stage and the Stones up next to them, hard to like the Beatles as a band.

Maybe the question is what old records do you like better.
    I don't see old records as quite exactly the same as a band.

So Beatles vs Stones is apples to oranges.

This may be nit picking but had the Beatles packed stadiums for 50 plus years the answer might be different.
    Performing has value, and not performing takes a lotta points of the score.

14. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

15. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I've never liked the Beatles very much. The combination of middlebrow pretentiousness and music hall cutesy poo. I just never liked them. If these are my only choices, then yes Rolling stones all the way

matrix and hollowman like this.
  16. Apache Snow

Apache Snow TDPRI Member

Opinions vary

Fiesta Red likes this.
  17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

No they don't!
    You are wrong!

Shuster and Fiesta Red like this.
  18. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes.

Also, whitebread is the most popular bread.

19. StompBoxRacer

StompBoxRacer TDPRI Member

How about just going with the best of all worlds The Dirty Mac: John Lennon, Eric Clapton, Keith Richards and Mitch Mitchell
    Yer Blues John, Yer Blues John, Yer Blues John...

Fiesta Red likes this.
  20. GibbyTwin

GibbyTwin Tele-Meister

somewhere between Asbury Park and Atlantic City
    They scratch different itches for me and they both had musical phases they went through that I didn't much care for. That said, I did pick The Beatles because they were very influential on my newly burgeoning interest in guitars and bands way back when.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.