The Beatles "Help!" Movie

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by srblue5, May 15, 2021.

1. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Holic

I've been on a serious Beatles kick lately, which has led me to revisit their movies. I haven't seen them in years but they still make me laugh (I haven't seen Let It Be, though, which I suspect wouldn't make me laugh so much). Much is said about "A Hard Day's Night", which is an undeniable classic (as far as rock movies go) but "Help!" still makes me LOL, even if it is a bit corny. Takes me back to a simpler time.

Some of my favourite parts (the rest aren't on YouTube, unfortunately):

(Amazing how much 3 out of 4 of them look like how they did a mere 4-5 years later!)

(George's face at 0:38 is likely representative of their chemical/herbal intake while making this movie)

2. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Holic

I think we first need the usual guy to come over and tell us that the Beetles are an overrated boy band. Just to get that out of the way... :rolleyes:

Seriously, I love the Beatles. Their first two films do not do that much to me, but I have come to realise that Yellow Submarine works very well on many levels.

We bought the DVD when my son was little (he now is 12) and that was a great initiation. He listens to all the albums a lot and has become a serious Beatles fan. We went to see Paul McCartney when he was six or seven.

3. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Meister

Help! is my favorite of the Beatles films. Love the locations, the sets, the constant one liners and sight gags, the performances. It’s total joyous absurdity from start to finish.

Bassman8, DougM and srblue5 like this.
  4. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

Film critic Andrew Sarris dubbed A Hard Day's Night, "the Citizen Kane of jukebox musicals," and like Kane, if looked back on with modern eyes, it's difficult to understand how revolutionary they both were at the time of their respective releases. The music, the fast cutting, the crisp black and white cinematography (by Gilbert Taylor, who would go on to do a couple of little-seen movies called Dr. Strangelove and Star Wars), the jokes, the relatively sophisticated style of the young Beatles, the use of French New Wave techniques by director Richard Lester -- made for a remarkable package. But then seeing those techniques used each week on the Monkees' TV series, and by a zillion MTV videos, it can be difficult to look back and realize what a sea-change A Hard Day's Night was.

I like Help a lot, but in effect, Lester was trapped -- he couldn't do another A Hard Day's Night, so placing the Beatles in a James Bond pastiche must have seemed like a (relatively) easy solution to making a sequel.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  5. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

srblue5 likes this.
  6. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Wait, George gets his white shirt pulled off by the hand dryer and then his shirt reappears on him?! That's not mere boy band stuff, that's skill.

kplamann, srblue5 and nojazzhere like this.
  7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

I like at the end when they hit the beach. Classic.
    upload_2021-5-15_19-58-46.png

gmann, Masmus, Mad Kiwi and 3 others like this.
  8. The Blood

The Blood Tele-Meister

I love the part where the long distance swimmer keeps showing up at different locations looking for the cliffs of Dover.

9. Rick Schmidlin

Rick Schmidlin TDPRI Member

I was friends with Walter Shenson who produced A Hard.Days Night and Help. He told me a lot of great stories.

Bassman8, Deathray, Mad Kiwi and 5 others like this.
  10. BramptonRob1958

BramptonRob1958 Tele-Meister

Love the Beatles,

Hard Days Night is a permanent fixture on my PVR as Help would also be but it hasn't been broadcast lately on cable.....

"Killing Floor" nailed the comedy comparison to the Monkees TV Show.

Times and life were very, very different. Maybe simpler, certainly sillier but most assuredly easier to navigate without lockdowns, masks and vaccines....

11. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I always thought it was funny when John says "Cold snow. Cold snow."

12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Explaining the "ancient history" we grew up in can be summed up in the line from The Lovin Spoonful's song, Do You Believe in Magic?....where they sing, "It's like tryin to tell a stranger 'bout Rock and Roll." It's almost impossible to explain how life and society were "BB". (before Beatles) I guess today's generation will experience the same thing when telling about life before the interwebnet, or cell phones, or any number of developments that literally change how we live.
    I remember seeing A Hard Day's Night in the theater upon release, and even my thirteen year old mind was blown by the cinematic license Lester took. Whether you like the Beatles or not, that film is a watershed moment in film history. ;)

Crashbelt, Bassman8, srblue5 and 3 others like this.
  13. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

That's incredible! One would think there wasn't much interest in 6 year old Paul McCartney!

:D

14. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

srblue5 likes this.
  15. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

Wasn't he played by the Beatles' faithful roadie Mal Evans?

16. modavis99

modavis99 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Help doesn’t stand the test of time. Not for me anyway.

17. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

What amazes me the most is that as big as they were they put up with this nonsense.
    Their talent is what preserved their integrity.

kplamann likes this.
  18. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

following what elvis did...but they figgered out that a few good films turns into a bunch of bad ones...so they stopped

Bassman8, kplamann and nojazzhere like this.
  19. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Holic

I think they had contractual obligations for three films and the obligation for the third one was fulfilled by Yellow Submarine - as they did not wish to put up with this nonsense anymore.

The irony is that this is actually a great film.

20. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Holic

Agreed. I do prefer Yellow Submarine over their other films but I enjoy them all. It has a great message and works for audiences of all ages. I rented Yellow Submarine on VHS when I was 8 and cried at the end of the Nowhere Man scene.

As much as A Hard Day's Night is the unassailable classic, I have probably watched Help! more over the years. I kind of like the Eastern/Indian flavour to it, which predicted their later musical/cultural explorations. The Beatles' output from 1965-1966 is my favourite of theirs.

So many great one-liners and exchanges:

"What's this?"
    "A season ticket. What did you think it is?"
    "Oh, I like a bit of seasoning in my soup." (and later, "There's footprints in 'ere.")

"Hello there, this is Ringo. Gear fab, what is it that I can do for you, gear fab?"
    "Not a bit like Cagney."

The whole fight scene still makes me laugh hard after all this time. Especially when John accidentally hits the guy with the phone and says, "Oh sorry, I hit him."

Back when getting a sacrificial ring stuck on your finger was as hard as life got. :lol:

Yes, it was Mal.

eclecticsynergy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.