The Beatles - From a GUITAR point of view

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Thorpey, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Thorpey

Thorpey Tele-Holic

What do we think?

I love listening to The Beatles, I'm going to spend some time learning some of the classics... I've found some DVDs called 'Learn The Beatles To A Tee!". Hopefully I'll learn plenty of things along the way!

How many of you guys here have spent alot of time learning Beatles songs? How much would you say you really got out of learning their songs?

J

2. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I had that series of DVD's. Pretty interesting to see all the different parts.
    For learning, I like some of the videos where they combine several parts into one.

3. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It's immeasurable for me.
    I still learn/discover/realize/connect something when I revisit or learn a Beatles song.
    Though I'm not fanatical about it I've been doing it since the mid 70s.

*There are other bands and artist in many genres that affect me and influence me in the same way.

4. Thorpey

Thorpey Tele-Holic

I was hoping you'd chime in here! As one of the forum legends ;)

Nice to see that someone on your level can learn things from them even now! Guess I'll be learning plenty then! :p

5. czgibson

czgibson Tele-Afflicted

There's a huge amount to learn from Beatles songs. I think someone who learned them all would be ready for just about anything in mainstream rock and pop. It's essential to know a fair few of them as they're guaranteed to get a roomful singing along.

Many Beatles songs lend themselves well to chord-melody arrangements too. It's a pretty interesting exercise to pick up one of those 'Beatles Complete' type books and (after fixing the mistakes) try to put together a solo arrangement from the lead sheet.

6. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

There are some really great guitar songs and some not so.

'And Your Bird Can Sing' is one of the best, IMO.

7. MonkeyKing

MonkeyKing Tele-Meister

some of their stuff was radical for it`s time - the backward solo on `I`m only sleeping` for ex. ALOT of it is just lame. `Mr Moonlight`? `A Taste of Honey` - hardly inspiring me to work on my chops.

8. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The coolest thing about the Beatles is that even the 'simple' songs have something in them that's non-standard, even if you don't notice it at first *(same for the Beach Boys). Sometimes it's a chord voicing. Sometimes it's a rhythm figure or the choice to use a nylon string for the solo ... tons of little stuff like that.
    How they utilized and slightly tweaked standard song form and also how they completely exploded it as well.

9. Vortexan

Vortexan Friend of Leo's

Those were really early songs. I wish I could have heard them performed live in the Cavern Club. I think if you could hear them in that way you might appreciate them more. They definitely raised the bar with Revolver.

10. oldteleguy

oldteleguy Tele-Afflicted

the way that they utilized chords which had never been used in particular keys,and made them work,blows my mind! They were musical geniuses,and every album they made evolved
    to something which they hadn't done before-they were amazzing!!

11. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

.........and it should be added, that George Martin had a lot to do with it.

12. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I was just about to add too that but you beat me to it. The 5th Beatle, George Martin, should get a lot of credit for their success as recording artists.

13. banjohabit

banjohabit Tele-Holic

true indeed, and (as you mention), not just in the world of guitar playing. so many little ear-catching details are all over their recordings, things put in, (or, as often) things left out, but only for a certain line, or bar, or even single word. but it catches your ear and refocuses your attention on the tune.

i have found that suggesting little things like that for arrangements in your band makes people think you are really musically gifted, but i tell them "listen to the beatles to learn these things." most just roll their eyes, prolly because they are all between 18 and 31 yrs. old and are familiar with the beatles, but not with their music or the respect it earns among musicians who take the time to listen closely to it.

whatever, they'll just have to carry on in the erroneous belief that i just dream this stuff up on my own. but, i know where it comes from. listen closely to the beatles and learn the subtle devices musicians use to make excellent pop recordings, then or now.

14. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Ted Greene did a sheet on Beatles chord progressions which should be floating around this site somewhere.

15. Phoenix59

Phoenix59 Tele-Meister

The two tunes you single out as lame were also cover tunes.

16. brewwagon

brewwagon Poster Extraordinaire

...and half beatle & soul brother the late billy preston

i swear you can hear pauls tone change when billy strolls into the studio
    mid song for his solo

17. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

A lot of that cool stuff was Paul's love of musicals, and George's love of the diminished chord. But I still "blame" Paul. He loved show tunes.

18. Tele Bee

Tele Bee Tele-Meister

If you can play "Blackbird" on an acoustic guitar, you can play anything on the acoustic guitar. Paul is a brilliant, under rated guitarist that falls under the radar because of his incredible songwriting skills.

19. Bob Mc

Bob Mc Friend of Leo's

So many treasures to be found; I have been casually working on I am the Walrus" and not so casually on "Strawberryfields" (inspired by Bill Frisell) . They will never be performance ready, but I love them dearly.

20. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Hey Thorpey....it's cool to see someone who is 23 years old getting into the Beatles. Many younger ones think they are corney, unhip and dull. How awesome that you are seeing what they can add to your playing and musical vocabulary.

Seeing the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show in February of 64 was a turning point in my (and many others here) life. As an impressionable 8 year old, that experience cemented my love for music and guitar. Not only was their music unlike anything anyone had ever heard before, the whole cultural element and dynamic of how they turned the whole world on it's ear was amazing to behold. Blending John's rhythm skills and pop sesibilities with Paul's more classical, theatrical leaning....into George's rockabilly stuff was a gift. Adding Ringo to the mix just cemented everything. Very few drummers of that day could bring what Ringo did to the group....he made it a group!

Darn near 50 years later, I am still learning from the Beatles.....and hopefully will continue to until the day I die. Each one of the Beatles (Ringo included) has taught me so much about music....playing in a band....playing for the song....playing with dynamics......listening to your band mates and blending with them instead of overpowering each other. Each of their songs was a mini masterpiece.

I could go on for days about my love of the Beatles and what they have meant to my musical life....suffice to say I still enjoy listening to the Beatles and still enjoy learning their songs and all they have to off.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.