the beatles are not the best

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by fuzzbender, Mar 1, 2014.

1. prebend

prebend Tele-Holic

Yep, Kennedy. Definitely needed something to lift the spirits after that.

2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Alright ! Let's talk about Skynyrd in a Beatles thread. I'm all for it.

Had Steve Gaines lived I don't think he would have stayed there long or he would have taken over the band.

At least as good a singer as Van Zandt and a better guitarist than any of them.

Massive talent.

Beatles ? Y'all have never experienced their music outside of the marketing machine because ( except for a little time in the 70's) - that machine has never stopped.

Their legacy is assured but how much influence would they have now w/out the endless anniversaries and reissues being shoved in our faces ?

We won't know until the boomer die-off commences in earnest.

Randomly :

* I think of the Beatles music as separate from rock. A large amount of their stuff simply doesn't (rock that is).

* Not enough blues influence for me.

* Among the many things you can blame them for is : Crimson, Yes, Genesis, ELP, and innumerable other art rock bands. This is the very definition of "the double-edged sword".

* Final message of theirs was lost on their most zealous fans : Love®

I started a thread a couple years ago entitled "The Beatles were geniuses and the best EVER (and I never want to hear them again)" and I was excoriated and slagged and called an idiot.

So - all YOU need is love...

Dig it ? Far out man !

3. prebend

prebend Tele-Holic

I don't know. I think Hendrix, the Doors, Zeppelin, Cream, the Rolling Stones, not to mention James Brown, Motown, Stax, Muscle Shoals were propelling the music of the time as much if not more. I don't see a lot of musicians back then following the Beatles. More today I think. If anything, the Beatles jumped on board the whole psychedelic thing.

4. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

No, cynical.
    A few good originals? Not more talent? Some good songs?

5. prebend

prebend Tele-Holic

That's what I meant, thanks.
    Yeah, in 1964, a few good originals.

6. oldgofaster

oldgofaster Tele-Meister

I'll say it again....just the "I" songs.....influential, original, copied, rockin', written and recorded in 7 years. Trump this.

•I Am The Walrus
    •I Call Your Name
    •I Don't Want To Spoil The Party
    •I Feel Fine
    •I Forgot To Remember To Forget
    •I Got To Find My Baby
    •I Just Don't Understand
    •I Me Mine
    •I Need You
    •I Saw Her Standing There
    •I Should Have Known Better
    •I Wanna Be Your Man
    •I Want To Hold Your Hand
    •I Want To Tell You
    •I Want You (She's So Heavy)
    •I Will
    •If I Fell
    •If I Needed Someone
    •I'll Be Back
    •I'll Be On My Way
    •I'll Cry Instead
    •I'll Follow The Sun
    •I'll Get You
    •I'm A Loser
    •I'm Down
    •I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Cry (Over You)
    •I'm Happy Just To Dance With You
    •I'm Looking Through You
    •I'm Only Sleeping
    •I'm So Tired
    •I'm My Life
    •In Spite Of All The Danger
    •The Inner Light
    •It Won't Be Long
    •It's All Too Much
    •It's Only Love
    •I've Got A Feeling
    •I've Just Seen A Face

7. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Excellent post. You're right, we won't know where their musical legacy will eventually lie. Recorded music has only been a going concern for approx 100 yrs (in any useable format) and already some names that were enormous in their day are already sinking from view. Looking to literature, numerous writers who were big sellers in their day are completely forgotten now.

Where they will be remembered imo is as a symptom of a social shift that occurred around the early 60's which included a sizeable portion of society turning on, tuning in etc. How that will be viewed historically is anyones guess but I feel certain it will be remembered (if only because of the enormous archive of film & print to support it).

8. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So The Beatles are overrated?

9. loggerboots

loggerboots Tele-Meister

I recognize their greatness but they're not for me. I like rock n' roll in part from the energy and the way it makes me feel. With the Beatles, sOmething's missing, some kind of energy, drive, grittiness, I don't know. They have some really nice Melodies to be sure, but the only song of their that reall *rocks* - that I'm aware of - is 'Helter Skelter'. I guess it's all a little to tame and clean cut for my tastes, maybe a little lacking in tempo, drive or emotion? Not sure...

If I'm missing something, please let me know. I'd be more than happy to give something a spin on spotify if they have a great rock n' roll album that maybe I've overlooked.

From that period, I prefer the Stones, Hendrix and The Who by a large margin. I'm mid-40's, so all of it is 'before my time'.

I don't know why you guys are talking about Skynryd (sp?), but I love Skynrd.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.