the beatles are not the best

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by fuzzbender, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Vortexan

Vortexan Friend of Leo's

^^^Now that's funny right there.

2. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

and that's a bloody genius, right there

between you and me we made a joke, bloody hard work yet worth the effort

Guarantee you Vor, few will get it

3. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

They loved Elvis, but sounded NOTHING like him, the beach boys started out at same time. The Beatles were a very unique blend of what you mention in nicking America. But, they nicked "skiffle, that Mersey beat thing and harmonies with substantial songwriting after their first two years of Elvis worshipping and Little Richard. They blended Classical, folk, rocknroll, skiffle, Mersey etc. Then even sold songs to Peter and Gordon, Chad and Jeremy, bad Finger, the Stones and such. Unheard of stuff - They were like Carol King meeting Paul Simon, stirring in Elvis. Little Richard, The Beach Boys and English acts of folk and the Everly Bros or Beethoven. I mean they feared no sound and can't even really be pegged as each record was completely different type of music, "Beatles Music" and in a league all it's own. Anything they touched had a magic never again seen or heard.

4. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

move on, nothing to see here

5. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

that's a huge amount to deal with

yet still, i assure you mostly all American

we just tweaked a bit, the baulk of culture is you

6. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

i lived through this period

trust me, it was all American culture

and i thank you for it, just shut up, and say you're welcome

7. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Motown has a much more lasting, infectious catalog for many!

8. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Eleanor Rigby was genius and probably helped more people than Bob Dylans indulgent latch on to the whole protest scene .It made a lot of young selfish people think about the future and growing old and the elderly .How could such young artists think up those great lines ."Shes leaving home" as well .Other bands were self indulgent ,but at that point in time The Beatles were unsurpassed because they wrote about actual feelings that kids had ,not just lovee dovee doo wap .

9. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

Fuzz bender
    So what? I'm not sure what "American Culture" has to do with the genius of the Beatles. Maybe in the genius of Brian Epstein and/or George Martin and Capital Records. Yes, we ate them up because what they brought back to us was their very own spin and delivery of "American Culture" . I'm trying to understand why that's ever been in question? Certainly the Beatles have all and each stated as such. But they were equally loved at home in England too-Brian E knew how to deliver his boys to America being a clothier's son. Did anyone ever argue they weren't part of our culture? Seems like a misdirection because you don't like them, or what? Really...I'm just trying to understand what it is you're trying to say.

10. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

I was 13 in 1964 & the Beatles were my main insperation for picking up the guitar & being a musician. I love the Beatles music, but I don't think they were the best band ever. IMO that title goes to Led Zepplin (we'll save that for another post).

Fact is, the Beatles wrote good songs that transend the generations. It doesn't matter if you think it's crap, these songs will be played long after I'm gone. My mother-in-law & father-in-law were WWII generation. They love Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller & all the swing band music. When I was growing up I thought that stuff was crap. In my late 30's I joined a community swing band & learned to play those songs. I now have a deep appreciation for swing music. You still hear songs like In The Mood, String of Pearls, etc. Whether the music is crap or not, it is classic & has become a part of our culture.

Fact is, if you play music in a rock band, you are standing on the Fab 4's shoulders. Live with it.

11. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

I think that the Motown songwriting team, Holland-Dozier-Holland, and the Motown house band were both better than the Beatles.

12. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

And Since I've been so deep into Revolver lately, even the song of loss of love Mcartney croons on "For No One" is pretty heady stuff for a 26 yr old kid. It's hard to pick any one tune on that album - every Lennon sung song is friggin brilliant both in content and musicality. It's funny to me that later Lennon always said his Fav McCartney tune was "Here there and everywhere" now the wedding song of so many if Paul got all those royalties, he'd be the richest man on Earth LOL

13. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

Good call for sure - if anyone ever was.

14. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

i might be wrong, yet i know i'm not

trust me, it's definitely American Culture, i'm merely grateful

15. slippin slider

slippin slider Tele-Afflicted

"If there was a best.... which there is not" J.P.Sarte...... maybe,
    the best would be FLIPPER! Certainly.

Attached Files:

16. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

+1

I can't even bare listening to them talk, let alone sing. Just never a fan I'm afraid.

17. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

This is about the only thing I've got so far

18. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

No doubt one of the many comparisons I've debated in my head too in terms of cultural importance (in old and new classics, standards and influence), standards and later appreciations. For me, it's been Country Swing, Country of the 90's and Bakersfield eras, then older Bebop. But the Beatles still seem even beyond any one of those comparisons in as much as are true, it's not quite to scale.

As for L Zep as much as I love them, how many band members sang, harmonized or wrote? They played a much looser form of music too, which is different as night and day to Beatles.
    Beatles was writing, precision, musicality and member talent, interactivity and accessibility (usually meaning melody).

As good a band as LZ was, it's a much sharper niche, than can be spun in any crowd. But that's more a musical thing than a "band thing". Still, if you're bold to say LZ is a better band, I'd say it's very close, but only one guy sings to any degree and can barely shake a tambourine. Take away the best scream to ever be put to score on a chart, no doubt LZ wins hands down. Drama and theme? Don't think so, versatility nope. Maybe in Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones, since they were both studio guys anyway on countless recordings of the days before LZ.

Both share importance on influencing the progression forward for rock to show it can have as many twists and turns as there are people, both are hugely important, tight bands. LZ better Musicians? Again, maybe two members and even that's debatable, since Page metalized blues by taking off where Cream Stopped. Cream had supposedly the Cream of Britains musicians, yet LZ has hands down a larger and more influential body of work. But the premise of the first part of your argument can't be denied.

Stuff that sure fills the head with many fun conversations.

19. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

Can't disagree as we have and had no problem taking ownership of it as ours. I guess we could call it "the British invasion" of delivering back to us, what we already had, but doing it better.

20. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

exactly, can we just say modern music is American, then we can move on

the beatles were good yet all based on your stuff

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.