the beatles are not the best

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by fuzzbender, Mar 1, 2014.

1. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

there is something special about them even the songs i dislike i still know the lyrics i don't think i can say the same about any other group.. i think that might explain why children like them the simpleness of their music is timeless through every generation

2. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

thank you Eleanor Rigby

3. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

All your favourite music doesn't need to originate from the same band yanno,it is permitted to pick and chose. Yeah?

Yeah?

Yeah?

4. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

yes, an older friend of mine, who lived through that period, said the beatles asking someone to hold their hand made him feel sick

5. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

yeah, yeah, yeah

the beatles greatest contribution?

6. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

... in other words

who else is there to discuss?

7. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

i love pink floyd and the clash, talking heads, steely dan, funkadelic

but the beatles, man, it's complicated, yet surely not the best

8. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

maybe the beatles and the stones did nothing musically

they just made us think about the music

that was already there

9. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

they were fans, and the best artists are fans

they only talk about heroes

they stand on shoulders

10. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

fuzzbender 11.36 posts per day and workin onnit. :lol:

11. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

where do you live?

you owe me a pint.

12. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

They were so good, about 6 months ago, which was about the last time I logged in, I'm still dissecting every song on "Revolver". Yeah Eleanor Rigby That bird has flown (or known by many as and your bird can sing) and every song on that LP except Yellow Sub is a potential #1 hit.

There just was and never will be a band that can blend the synchronicity of songwriting, vocals and togetherness they had. Just extraordinary.

From Management, production and the band itself, they just can't be touched. Especially from an industry dedicated to Rap, hip-hop and a version of pop/rock almost barren of song-crafting. and of course, the Music Video.

What I hate is that nobody's even trying, nobody. Seems the age of the 4 dedicated artists with incredible leaders, with amazing talent was much more rare than we thought. As many good bands as came out of the whole "British invasion" there was the Beatles, then everybody else. Because the bar was set so high we have this amazing bunch of music and bands that tried to ride on their coat tails.

From the Stones, to the Small Faces, who if I could alter history of any other group, it would be the Small Faces staying what they were, or Rod Stewart keeping it all together. But it just wasn't possible - but all the great bancs of 4-5 guys that came out of London on a per capita basis, will never happen again. I still keep searching for something even close in the last 20 years, but all I can find is Trucks-Tedeschi, then almost nobody out of the turn of the millennia - sad.

13. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

There's been some shallow attempts as we have to give a nod to Seattle's short, but sweet Grunge trend, which was to trendy to be timeless except for a couple Nirvana and S. Garden cuts. LA's attempt at answering with the peppers, oh and what was the name of the group with a slinger named "Slash" oh yeah....nope can't remember.

The Beats had a nice 10 year run, but sustained an entire movement of excellence on both sides of the pond. There's been nobody good enough to do that, it's safe to say.
    But I can't answer as to why? Partly the industry, because everyone has to be video material. **** the Beatles had their own Cartoon and baseball-like trading cards with stick of bubblegum inside (sure wish I had of saved the shoe box full of those I had(the gum and five cards cost a nickel in 66) - LOL

Even during the 10 or more years it was considered taboo to play more than a 10 second guitar solo, we didn't get any great harmonizing, singing/songwriting bands. Its kind of funny, because it kind of went New York, then London, back to New York, from NY to LA and now its LA to Memphis. Weird times. It used to be around Seattle, you could play an entire gig circuit and never go downtown. Now, it's only Downtown.

We need more entertainment venues in the burbs - and they are still in existence, but not like it was from late 70's to early 90's.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  14. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

Beatles was lightening in a bottle. May never see such again.

15. Gearhead88

Gearhead88 Tele-Holic

They are good , pretty much goes without saying , however they have been WAY overplayed. When I was ten ( 1965 ) I liked them a lot , then came The Rolling Stones , The Yardbirds , Jimi , CCR , Johnny Winter etc , etc . I got over the beatles WAY before they split up .

16. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

Not me - amazing what just 4 year age difference could mean. I was weaned on the beats from pretending to be them before the age of 6, to not being over them for several years after break up, at least completely. I got sent home from Kindergarten for wearing too tight of jeans and my older bors Beatles Boots which were at least 5 sizes too big-LOL - yes Kindergarten! They were like musical super heroes they were so good.

But when I think about it, everybody in my age group that really listened to music, never let go entirely of the Beatles. Even when we were all listening to many other acts, there was always an acceptance to throw on "Help" in between Iron Man and Comos Factory, Stones and Darkside to Allman Bros.

Skynyrd dying in what might have been their best years didn't help at all.
    Now there's the Ed King Period, which is all great. Then they rid on okay, then suddenly Steve Gaines shows up and bring in a whole new set of skills, both as vocalist and writer/guitarist. Gaines was chicken pickin before it was even considered cool. There crash left a huge hole in music of that time, that's for sure. Gaines" from I know a little to that wonderful opening slide note in "what's your name". There is no song in rock n roll history that starts off like the recorded vinyl version of "What's your Name". I just learned how to play that song a few years from Greg Koch's video and I still need to see them play that live as I can't believe it starts out in F. I always thought they tuned down to E flat too.

17. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

Its hard to think of even a few bands that alternated writers and/or singers back and forth between lead and harmony after them. At least to the degree where it really didn't matter if John, Paul or George sang lead. Pink Floyd did it once Gilmour got past the ego of Waters, but not as a writer really. Pretenders did, but not to any degree, though they mattered a lot.

The Cars always had a lively harmony happening, but again, that was friggin 30 years ago and it was no doubt Rick Ocasics baby, he was just blessed with Elliot Easton as Petty was blessed with Campbell.

18. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

come on, they're not that good

they're english for a start, and the music is american

can we get some perspective?

19. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

otherwise all you say is the english are great at nicking things

thanks amerca

20. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

i'm happy with that by the way

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.