The Beatles are coming!

421JAM

Tele-Holic
Little Dorrit......when I saw it in late 80's, it was shown in two parts. (part 1 on, I believe, Tue. Wed. and Thur.....and part two on Fri. Sat. Sun) it's total of 5 hrs. and 57min......so three minutes short of six hours. But it is now available as one straight cut. Can I get partial credit? ;)

Yes, that counts. I appreciate your straightforward answer, rather than the personal criticism others offered.

micpoc

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I'm excited for this. The video quality looks great and I'm curious as to how the new footage challenges the dreary portrayal of that era from the original Let It Be film. It's nice to see how lighthearted they are in contrast to all the bickering and passive-aggression. Even John looks like he's in great spirits at times.

As a fan of the Fender Bass VI (John and George were the first guitarists I ever saw playing one, which made me think it was a guitar), it's cool to see them using it often. It looks like even Billy Preston has a go on it -- did he come up with the bassline for the Stones' "Miss You" then? (Kidding...)
If you are a Bass VI fan, then you must—if you have not already—check out Lennon's isolated bass part from "Helter Skelter".

It's a helluva thing...:lol:

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
It was originally planned as a much shorter film for theatrical release, then they changed their minds—for whatever reason—and opted for the longer streaming strategy. It was never going to be a 6-ish hour theatrical release.

That is what I thought. I believe they even mentioned "theaters" in one of the early trailers. I think a BluRay would sell well, if they keep it reasonably priced. But this is Disney...

Vocalion

Tele-Meister
I'm really looking forward to this, too. A few important points:
  • For any of you who would like to see this but are not in an area that can get Apple TV+, you can use a VPN service to make it look like you're connecting from a location where the service is available.
  • For anyone on the fence about whether to subscribe to Apple TV+ just to see Get Back, please consider that Apple TV+ is also the only way to see Ted Lasso. I'm of the opinion that Ted Lasso alone is worth the price of admission.
  • The special edition Let It Be albums come out today. I am (not so) patiently waiting for my Super Deluxe Edition to be delivered.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
I may have mentioned before that I'm not a big fan, although I fully and freely acknowledge their place in history.

But I'm quite looking forward to seeing this.

This is exactly how Beatles -haters should think! You are a credit to your race! :lol:

I read someplace(cracked.com, I believe) about a study about harmonic and textural diversity in popular music or somesuch before The Beatles
and after The Beatles. Turns out The Beatles opened so many mental doors that people started experimenting and musical diversity just exploded.
I quote freely from the article:
"So the next time somebody tells you The Beatles were overrated you can tell them they're objectively full of shrimp[ACTUAL WORD SUBSTITUTED BY APPROVED CONTENT]".

But... nobody is required to like their output. Just to acknowledge what they set in motion and at what scale, just as you do.

Personally? They have great songs and not so great songs and some grating songs, but all in all they've definitely "passed the audition". ;)

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
This is exactly how Beatles -haters should think! You are a credit to your race! :lol:

I read someplace(cracked.com, I believe) about a study about harmonic and textural diversity in popular music or somesuch before The Beatles
and after The Beatles. Turns out The Beatles opened so many mental doors that people started experimenting and musical diversity just exploded.
I quote freely from the article:
"So the next time somebody tells you The Beatles were overrated you can tell them they're objectively full of shrimp[ACTUAL WORD SUBSTITUTED BY APPROVED CONTENT]".

But... nobody is required to like their output. Just to acknowledge what they set in motion and at what scale, just as you do.

Personally? They have great songs and not so great songs and some grating songs, but all in all they've definitely "passed the audition". ;)
Very similar to what @aging_rocker said about not being a big fan … is not a “hater” and I take offense to the term here. To me, I just have never cared much for pop music. If I’m not a drooling fan, don’t interpret that as someone who can’t stand it. I listened to the Stones, while my sister across the hall played every Beatles album. I probably know every Beatles song in some ways better than every Stones song. Some of the Beatles’ songs are classic fun stuff, but just never was my thing. As a boomer kid at the time, I was already into guitar and music from the surf guitar era. Anyway, just to clarify the difference between a huge, big fan and the so so fan. The Beatles did influence a lot of music as they were a major part of the music evolution, just not all of it as some might think.

micpoc

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I'm really looking forward to this, too. A few important points:
  • For any of you who would like to see this but are not in an area that can get Apple TV+, you can use a VPN service to make it look like you're connecting from a location where the service is available.
  • For anyone on the fence about whether to subscribe to Apple TV+ just to see Get Back, please consider that Apple TV+ is also the only way to see Ted Lasso. I'm of the opinion that Ted Lasso alone is worth the price of admission.
  • The special edition Let It Be albums come out today. I am (not so) patiently waiting for my Super Deluxe Edition to be delivered.
It is going to be streaming on Disney+, not Apple TV+... at least in the US. No idea on other territories.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Has there ever been a six hour movie in wide release?

I sat through Dylan's Renaldo and Clara full version...almost 4 hours long.

It's hard to imagine a 6 hour film on this though. I fear Jackson may have become a fan boy and drooled heavy on every scene of the Fab 4 to the point of losing editorial sanity

Junkyard Dog

Friend of Leo's
The other thing is…there are NO GOOD MOVIES. So why not make a 6-hour movie…or three 2-hour movies or whatever it is. Seriously…when was the last good movie?!? Like a really good movie? There have been some mildy entertaining ones, yes, but for example that thing that won best picture last year…I turned it off after 30 minutes it was so boring.

nvilletele

Friend of Leo's
I sat through Dylan's Renaldo and Clara full version...almost 4 hours long.

It's hard to imagine a 6 hour film on this though. I fear Jackson may have become a fan boy and drooled heavy on every scene of the Fab 4 to the point of losing editorial sanity

I also watched R&C, and much of that was barely watchable.

There is a good video on YouTube or Vimeo by Swinging Pig that presents only the concert performances from the film. That I can watch.

rze99

Doctor of Teleocity
Anything above 2 hours 30 in a movie theatre and I’m the guy annoying people going out to the loo. Partly because there are 30 minutes of advertisements I don’t want to see before they put the main flick on.

I’ll probably wait until it gets on mainstream TV.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I also watched R&C, and much of that was barely watchable.

There is a good video on YouTube or Vimeo by Swinging Pig that presents only the concert performances from the film. That I can watch.

It was a tough watch BUT some really cool scenes in between Dylan and Joan staring at each other.

I snagged my copy of the 6 disc deluxe version of Let It Be/Get Back!

Will rip and give a solid listen later today. I really dig it that the Beatles went all out on this. One of my favorite albums it's pretty cool to have it documented so thoroughly! I'm still p$$'d at Grateful Dead for whiffing on the American Beauty 50th..... Lame effort for a classic album!

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I will never ever buy a Disney product. So happy to wait.

^^^^ Disney screws up everything they touch. Look what they did to "Star Wars." We have a lot of California transplants in my formerly sleepy little hamlet, and one of the ways you can tell their vehicles in traffic is the @#$%&! Disney stickers on the back windows. Worse than the stick figure families. Moronic. Saw one with vanity tags that read "WINPOOH." My son said, "That's great. But what do you get if you LOSE?" :p

As a hunter, I especially despise Disney for what they've done to the way the impressionable public and kids in general view wildlife. "Bambi" is the most heinous piece of anti-hunting propaganda ever devised, which is why my boys have never watched it. The West is not a petting zoo, and we don't need more wolves or grizzlies, thanks. It's all in fun until somebody's toddler wanders off and becomes a gutpile. And I hope neither of them ever dates a girl whose father dressed her up like a Disney princess as a child to create IMPOSSIBLE expectations ...