The Beatles and Nuance

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by rokdog49, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Bob L

Bob L Tele-Meister

I agree Ken. I think there was a thread somewhere on the TDPRI in another section that had a bunch of comments along those lines. I recently read comments like that in another, less distinguished forum. It would be interesting to hear the negative commenters play the solo. On second thought, maybe not!

2. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Exactly. Nothing exotic about a major 6th chord. Unless you grew up only on on music that never uses anything but basic major and minor chords (most rock n roll).

That's why a lot of that is gone from rock....people grow up learning rock tunes with three or four basic chords and that's all they know.

The Beatles, along with everyone else from their era started playing music before there was any rock n roll, so they learned chord changes from show tunes and standards. All standard type stuff in those genres.

3. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

This is great!

Sophisticated harmony was common and even in vogue for most people other than teenagers through the 50s and 60s.
    It's so easy to forget that rock and roll was still pretty brand new in 1964. If you were 19 or 20 in the early 60s, you were more familiar with Cole Porter than you were with Chuck Berry. The Beatles and the Stones and every other band at that time, either in England or the States, were still in a position of makin' it up.

4. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think the chord in the solo of "Till There Was You" is Gb7b5#9 or C13/Gb. The C on the A string makes the chord. Straight Gb7#9 sounds a little off.

5. Bob L

Bob L Tele-Meister

I think I hear a Db in that chord leading to the C in the F chord. Take a look at this screen capture of George about to strum the chord.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  6. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

I read a George Martin interview in which he said he remembered the moment when they came into the studio and sang the final vocal harmony for She Loves You, with the three part chord with the whole step in it, and saying to himself, these guys could be interesting to work with.
    Growing up when they did, they were exposed to a lot of Lettermen etc style vocal groups (much as Brian Wilson was) that used internal close voiced harmonies, very rich sounding stuff.

7. jbmando

Yeah, maybe the straight Gb7#9 is the ticket. George was good but he did most things the "easiest" way, not requiring contortionist ability.

8. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

9. Bob L

Bob L Tele-Meister

Interesting interview and Paul talks about the 7#9 chord.

10. jbmando

See that? I didn't know he used it in "Michele" though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.