The ball is rolling.....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dented, May 28, 2020.

1. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I have my first class today, a 4 hour webinar, to begin retirement from my work. I don't feel sad at all right now. I just want out to begin something new. I work for a state controlled entity so there are many comingled assets involved. Plus I am moving out of state and there are certain things I cannot take with me. It really is a books worth of planning. My boss knows and hopefully they won't do anything stoopid like lay me off. I plan for a release in the fall after my work anniversary to get another year of bennies rolled in. It is a 4 month process to do it right. I thought it would be give my notice and get a check. Nope.

Wish me luck as there are some important moves. I do have a long term financial adviser. But sometimes it's scary letting go of a perfectly good lifeline ya know? Anyone recently do the same thing?

[​IMG]

2. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

good luck!

Toto'sDad and dented like this.
  3. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

I retired from teaching in 2012. I found that I truly missed the interaction with the kids and accepted a part time position teaching in a private school setting. I taught for another year, enjoyed it, but it was enough, so I re-retired for good. I don't miss it, lots of time to do things I enjoy. Example: I went fishing last evening, and caught a 4.5 lb bass among several others, on the spur of the moment- love being retired! ENJOY!!

4. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

I envy you. I only have about 30 years left to go. :(

nojazzhere and dented like this.
  5. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This is about the fourth time in my life I've retired, but this time they send me money every month! Congratulations, and don't let yourself worry; retirement is a good thing.

I'm on my second year out from teaching high-school English. I loved my job the whole time I had it. I was subbing a few days a month until the school closure. I think I'll take the opportunity to bow out of the substitute business and go full-time into retirement.

P.S. I don't know about anyone else, but it seems to me that my physical deterioration has become more pronounced lately (hippy arthritis), and that the process is building speed. It's time to git while I still got a gitalong, and not spend any more time "working".

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  6. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I retired nearly fifteen years ago at the pretty young age of 54. In my book of you can afford it and have a life full of things outside it is often a good thing to do.

I have a lot to do with multiple hobbies & properties to maintain do stay plenty busy. The only thing I truly missed about work was the people there & our daily interactions. I had a good job at a good corporation.

I did notice my stress level went way down after retirement set in. You get so used to that stress that it becomes part of your existence, and you may not even know it’s there until it’s gone.

MrGibbly, Toto'sDad, Obsessed and 4 others like this.
  7. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Letting go of the lifeline isn't as scary as having it yanked away.

8. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Yeah, I won't retire totally but I am retiring from the University I work for. I have a company in Houston that will let me work from home and I'll just see how much that taxes me. If it is too much I'll just go out back and tend to the garden or wash the Jeep.

MrGibbly and Stubee like this.
  9. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I retired in Feb'11...took a couple of months off, then took a pretty good job at a local college for a year (realized I was just plain tired of working). The single biggest thing that has eased my (our) retirement is having everything paid off, and minding our budget...if there are no looming payments, there is really very little to do but enjoy whatever you want to do.

Toto'sDad, dented and tah1962 like this.
  10. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Congratulations. I retired a little over a year ago, March 29, 2019 and I have no regrets at all. I had a fantastic job with a great company but they kept putting more on my plate and kept giving me more sales territory. I would’ve ended up covering about a third of the US and after 30+ years of planes, trains, and automobiles, I decided it was time for me to fly. I gave them 5 months notice.

Wishing you the best of luck in your golden years!

Toto'sDad, dented and stormsedge like this.
  11. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

Do NOT wish your life away

P Thought likes this.
  12. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

License to Chill.jpg

dented likes this.
  13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Getting more time to play guitar is worth more than workin' for the man ... by far. Don't look back and enjoy your next chapter in life.

dented likes this.
  14. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

How timely, after 37 years of teaching, I turned in my keys, laptop, and badge YESTERDAY!!! You're going to see a lot more of Telepraise on "What's on my workbench". Just in time, I might add. It looks my district is going blended in the fall: teach half your kids for two days, teach the other half for two days, AND load and monitor online lessons for all of them at the same time, EXHAUSTING. My colleagues are envious.

P Thought, dented and nojazzhere like this.
  15. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I love retirement 10 years in and still have no time so much to do.

dented likes this.
  16. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

Retirement? I HIGHLY recommend it as a career! One piece of advice, it gives you a lot of time to devote to a G.A.S. addiction, stay off the websites!

dented likes this.
  17. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

yay.
    I have 155 days or so.myself ..@!@

dented likes this.
  18. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Good luck....a state controlled entityIs kinda safe from them letting you go....i wouldn't trust any corporate entity to do whatever they could to lessen your benefits. Loyalty is a one way street nowadays. Good luck and enjoy....retired for 6 years so far.

daddyplaysbass, dented and nojazzhere like this.
  19. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. I did it - 7 years ago!

I got a job with the State, out of community college. The pay was good, with yearly increments and cost of living adjustments, but the retirement benefits are great - 50% pension and free health care, with Rx coverage, for me AND my wife!

dented likes this.
  20. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I was laid off a few years ago from a job as an IT manager for a Wall Street bank. I was 63 and decided that over 40 years of work was enough for me. My wife continued to work for another couple of years but then decided she'd had enough too. So we spent a few months getting the New Jersey home we'd lived in for 30 years ready to sell, and started looking around for a new place to live. We considered going back to England where I'm from, to Nova Scotia, where my wife is from and even Portugal and France where we have friends but eventually decided to stay in the US. Somewhere close to the ocean was a given and after a year long search we ended up moving to Bluffton on the South Carolina coast. It's just a couple of miles inland from Hilton Head and is similar but without the vacationers' traffic.

Life is good here. We do a lot of sea kayaking in the salt water estuaries and beautiful low country marshes. We ride our bikes, visit a lot of local wildlife preserves, I draw and paint, I do a lot of bird watching and I still keep my hand in with IT developing software for a local, large bird watching club. We have great neighbours, mostly from the Northeast with a smattering of Brits, decent restaurants, a thriving "Old Town" and if we want to see some city life, Savannah and Charleston aren't that far away.

I will say that I'm thankful for having a terrific financial advisor who I trust and who has done a great job for me. As much as we both liked NJ and NYC, it was time we made a move and we're both happy we did it.

dented, Harry Styron and nojazzhere like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.