The BAD practice

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by -Hawk-, Feb 27, 2020.

1. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This is just a lighthearted look at the always disappointing bad band practice. Share your stories, gripes, etc.

Our group has been riding a high for awhile now. We dropped two members and became a trio, which has been fantastic. We’re all good listeners and tuned into each other, so we are enjoying the flexibility and creativity that comes from that. We had to add, subtract, and alter tunes because of this of course. Recently booked a gig on short notice that has us trying to nail down the entirety of our set in quick fashion. Not stressful, but definitely a challenge that we recognize and embrace.

Last night I show up with some changes on my board due to replacing a faulty delay pedal. I kick on the delay during an instrumental part of the first song and I’ve mixed it way to high. It sounds like I’m 16 posting a Facebook video after I just got my first delay pedal. Just embarrassing. Of course, nothing felt right after that and I was critiquing myself the rest of the night.

The drummer (who is unfortunately dealing with some health issues) is struggling with some obvious fatigue and missing some transitions, starts and stops. The bass/singer starts out ok, but eventually joins us down at the bottom of the barrel, forgetting lyrics, bass parts, etc.

It had its good moments, but we are all pretty critical of ourselves and it was not at all where we like to be. 30 minutes before our normal stop time, we all comment how terrible we sound, have a laugh, and decide to pack up early before we completely destroy the confidence we’d built up in the last month. We’ll brush it off start with fresh ears and minds next time.

2. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

Good thing is you can laugh about it! It’ll be better next week. Sometimes even the best of bands have an off day where it seems like everything goes wrong, but it doesn’t effect things going forward.

On the contrary... in my last band, some of the best shows we ever played were after awful rehearsals just the night before. Regroup and Rally

tah1962 and Tommy Biggs like this.
  3. trahx

trahx Tele-Meister

Our bad band practices lasted about 2 months while we auditioned several bass players to take my place as I was planning on switching to playing guitar in the band. We play classic rock and I couldn't believe it when people would show up unprepared or unable to play songs that we requested they play. Some had up to 2 weeks to prepare.
    Long story short, we're back to a 3 piece with me on bass again (which I also love playing). Our next rehearsals we're dynamite and we sounded better than ever.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Isn’t that true. Has definitely happened to me before.

We went through that as well with vocals and keys players. I’d have just rather people said “I didn’t work on the material at all and am not coming”. It’s such a downer to be disappointed by someone that is unprepared.

T Prior and trahx like this.
  5. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Almost all of my bad practices happen when the bass player misses practice or I try to do a side practice without the bass player. It's like an orchestra without a conductor...

6. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

I hate that. The actual bass player in my last band would do that and he was a member. 2 weeks to prepare a song for rehearsal and he wouldn’t have ANY clue where he was in the song.

The singer in that band would also get lost if it was a song he didn’t care for but everyone else liked. After two weeks, he would bring a lyric sheet to read off of but he wouldn’t fully know the melody or he wouldn’t know where he was supposed to sing. Very obvious he never practiced or even listened to the song. It was pitiful and the main reason I left that awful group.

7. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Afflicted

I’m definitely guilty of over criticizing my playing as well. I get frustrated if I don’t fret a note cleanly, let alone playing a wrong note. The truth is, about 90% of the crowd never has a clue there’s a mistake. I have learned to just let it go and have fun. I’m much more relaxed playing now too. Cheers.

LunarSlingShot likes this.
  8. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Being critical I think is a very good thing, especially if everyone is critical together ! Having an off gig, messed up pedals, it happens Whats important is how we manage what we do on those gigs while we are messing up ! We've all been there and will most likely be there again.

regarding rehearsals:

I'm a practicing player, every day. We've had plenty of rehearsals where we knew ahead of time the material to be covered, yet a couple of players always showed up with some chords on a piece of paper. To me that means they listened to a song at least once or maybe just once.

OR they will show up saying " Man I've been busy this week ". Not even with chords on a napkin.

Now I get it that people are busy , goes without saying, and not everyone may have the same free time, But showing up with chords on a piece of paper is not practice or being prepared. Its the LEAST amount of prep we can do for a rehearsal. We didn't actually learn the tune, we wrote it down probably so we would not have to spend much time on it, "I'll do it at rehearsal".

Now obviously within reason we don' t try to learn 10 songs for a rehearsal unless we ALL already know them. But if we are in a fairly active band and we do get together now and then, learning 1,2 or 3 songs ahead if time is NOT earth shattering. Its earth shattering if we don't and the other band members do.

Nothing worse than being prepared ahead of time, then driving near an hour to rehearsal only to learn that one, maybe two, barely prepped at all, or said they didn't have time. Which begs the next question..

" why are we here " ?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    duzie likes this.
  9. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

It happens. Sometimes it feels like you can't buy a good note.
    YEP!

But, you guys know better.
    The pressure of the upcoming gig is what will bring out the best in all of you.

10. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

The pressure of the upcoming gig, well maybe we shall call it the opportunity , is what should make us prepare. Be the best we can.

Even if we play bad notes, we should recognize it and "regroup" and watch our step. We all have bad gigs. The trick is to not expose it and play "off" all night ! Sometimes we just have to dig deep and rely on our skill set, whatever it may be, to pull us thru. When our minds are cluttered and auto pilot and add-lib isn't working, we always have something to draw on ! Play simple, play the song, play within the structure. Nobody will know but us !

String Tree likes this.
  11. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

There are good days and bad for playing whatever the reason...and if everyone hits a low at or near the same point (yow!). Probably a reason to stop for the day, pat each other on the back and give it a go the next. I think you did right.

12. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

One thing they will notice, provided cooler heads prevail , people will notice how well you play Together.

jwp2 and T Prior like this.
  13. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Holic

Yep, good days, bad days, part of the program. But are you still having fun?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.