The back and forth of my "Starcaster".....

FortyEight

Friend of Leo's
Just another iteration of my Starcaster by Fender....

This is what I've learned with modding it so far.

I've used this stock. I replaced tuners cuz one shaft was busted. 40 bucks for ping. I ripped out the middle pup cuz the chinese pups only sounded good really high up. The middle gets in the way. Actually I took the neck out and put the middle to the neck.

Both neck and bridge sounded pretty darned good with the chinese pups. To my ears.

I picked up a used bridge. Supposedly it's from an American. The block is pretty thin. It's definitely better than the chinese one. Well it's heavier. I'm not sure it matters cuz I deck it.

I had 5 springs for a long time but now I'm down to three with the claw bottomed out to the front of the route. Seems to stay put decked. Less metal noise.

I bought a seymour duncan 1/4 pounder. Had it by itself in the middle and neck. Then with the two mexican pups below in the neck position.

I also bought some mexican pups from the same guy with the bridge. 2. I put them in the bridge and middle. I like them. I used the original 500k dimed sized pots cuz the 250s I bought from mgr didn't seem to work. They sounded really good to me. I had them in a black Fender pickguard. Over the original chinese white one. Had a much darker sound, which was fine with me.

So then I wanted to change out the pickguard to the white cuz I like the way it looks better. I determined that there was way too much noise. So I ended putting in a new CTS 500k pot, pulled the 1/4 pounder. I was under the assumption that the 1/4 pounder wasn't helping cuz when I switched to it, it would be way noisier. So I pulled that one and am down to the two mexicans and the CTS 500 pot on the chinese pickguard. I wanted to only change the pickgaurd to see if it made much of a difference on it's own. Which I know some people would be like, that's dumb. I think it does actually make a difference. But I've yet to ONLY change the pickguard.

So now I would like a pup in the neck again cuz I think it needs it. Now its leaning towards the overly bright. i realise it could the pot. But the ine i had in it was a 500. just the original small chinese one. could be that theres only two pups. but when i had the 1/4 pounder by itself it definitely wasnt too bright. but that pup isnt. ot sounds more like it did originally. which leads me to the pickguard. lol.
I mean, how do you find a mexican split magnet one? I totally lucked out on FB for for the 2 I got. I haven't seen them before or after. I will check MGR but I usually see all alnico ones.

My Mom gave me this guitar after she decided she wasn't going to learn how to play. I have written a lot of music on it and it's like a family member now. I keep wanting to get a better strat, but it's been fun living with this one and tweaking it along the way. I'm not usually much of a tweaker either. If something works I wanna just leave it. But this one needed stuff. The frets used to give me cuts. LOL. I eventually learned how to fix that. LOL.

Latest pics....

Last edited:

FortyEight

Friend of Leo's
pics for u all.

i realize its tl;dr kind of a post but i like documenting. and hear other peoples experience with similar guitars or mods.

Attachments

• DDC1D8F9-428A-4C97-8A2F-E54ADAECC951.jpeg
    DDC1D8F9-428A-4C97-8A2F-E54ADAECC951.jpeg
    284.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 9E02BF1F-8EF4-4235-9123-B364895483AC.jpeg
    9E02BF1F-8EF4-4235-9123-B364895483AC.jpeg
    277.9 KB · Views: 43

preactor

Tele-Afflicted
That's the good thing about mods on inexpensive guitars. Worst case scenario, your not out of a lot of money if something bad happens. Try one of the Deaf Eddie Chromacaster mods and you'll never go back.

FortyEight

Friend of Leo's
i keep wanting to buy a "real" Fender. I even tried for a good deal of a deluxe but the nut was bad and i didnt have the skills to get it up to snuff. and i unloaded for more than what i had into it. it was a lot heavier than the starcaster. i preferred the neck on that one. it was a 12".

i kid u not this one has a 16" radius. lol. i bought gauges to check.

but i keep using this one and it keeps working. and my perception is its giving me strat sounds. probably not as full sounding as an american. would be nice to be able to have one to compare sometime. thats not likely gonna happen anytime in my life time though.

FortyEight

Friend of Leo's
I did this a few weeks back and i like the color (purple in case u cant tell) but i dont like the feel of the spray paint. maybe i should clearcoat it.......

Attachments

• EFE5158D-3305-4491-8E21-724EB08F8C3F.jpeg
    EFE5158D-3305-4491-8E21-724EB08F8C3F.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 7
  • E51A5D8D-8DF6-4598-A59E-9C6B6248981F.jpeg
    E51A5D8D-8DF6-4598-A59E-9C6B6248981F.jpeg
    275 KB · Views: 7