The B-Bender/Nocaster debacle.

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by eddiewagner, Jul 30, 2021.

1. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Hi guys, I bought a used Nashville b bender tele. But I don’t like it. I put really nice Nocaster pickups into that thing and it sounds amazing, but it’s way too heavy and the bender is too sensitive, always out of tune. So far so good.
    My thought:
    I could get me a player tele, switch the Pickups around and have a really nice, pao ferro necked, tele and sell the b-Bender guitar.
    Luxury problems, right?

Timbresmith1 likes this.
  2. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

I've always been fascinated with b-benders, and love heavy guitars. But the mechanical side of it and the price tag always scared me away.

If you're asking monetarily speaking if you could pick up a $600 tele, swap pickups, then sell a guitar probably worth over double that for an amount($2k+?) that isn't a loss?

Absolutely.

It's a niche market, but most upgrades or "upgrades" put the guitar in a niche where value isn't really added. In most instances, a hard shell case adds value on par with pickups or hardware upgrades . Since a bender is such an added cost, you pop a bender tele up for $1900,it's gone.

Edit:

In previous years, the cheapest a mim modded bender sold for on Reverb was $700. They ride just under a grand for non US, in previous years.

eddiewagner likes this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Marty Stuart does about as well with one of those things as you could ever hope to. He's tried others, but Clarence is the only one he likes. To tell the truth, listening to that thing for a song or two is alright, but a steady diet, I don't think so. It kind of gets to be like Jeff Beck and his constant pulling on that handle, just stop it, please! Get yourself a good Tele, forget that string pull thing, you can always tell people how much you miss it, (but really don't.)

4. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've never had a b-bender, but I'm curious about this too-sensitive thing. what kind of bender is it?

5. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

10 years ago I saw those Fender B-Benders everywhere. My GC had a brand new one for $1K. Now they are almost twice that used. The Fender model was too heavy for me too, but if you don't like it, I say move it on. There seems to be a demand for them. Then get the guitar you want and put a rolling bender on it or send it someone to have a bender installed.

6. eddiewagner

You really have to stand still, or the bender will bend.

7. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Can you put a stiffer spring in it, or adjust it somehow?

8. eddiewagner

No. Just a heavier b-string. the real experts can handle it.

9. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

I put this double bender from Certano on my esquire:
    upload_2021-7-30_23-7-59.jpeg
    It barely adds any weight to the guitar, it stays in tune and you can fold the levers back when you don’t need them, even in the middle of a song.

Smokin OP likes this.
  10. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

If you don't want a Bender, truly move on . They are not for everyone.

If your Fender PG Bender is always out of tune, there is something wrong with it. They are VERY stable. Yes , heavy. Find out why its going out of tune. Fix it ! I believe I have owned 4 of the Fender PG guitars over the last many years, they were each very stable.

Are they sensitive, ? Sure but other than the Fender PG Guitar , pretty much all of the installed premium Benders can or DO have a spring adjust. Some have the spring adjust at the rear of the guitar by the strap button, Turn the screw, tighten the spring. Others have various spring positions inside the cavity, pick the one that works for you . I guess you can use a heavier gauge string but its not necessary. YES, it may take some standing time to get used to it. Many of the premium systems don't add any additional weight to the guitar, Remove 1 lb of wood, add 1 lb of parts.

The Fender PG guitar is certainly the heaviest and has no direct way to stiffen the spring. Many players cut out a few windings or replace the spring. The PG is also a production drop in unit , not a custom installation . It can be modified by the user. Its also a very easy system to take apart, inspect and have it working smoothly and efficiently . The most common issue with the Fender PG is string breakage, not going out of tune. If strings break on the PG system its most likely due to a BURR at the top of the string tower. File it down, make sure its smooth , drag cotton thru the groove, strings won't break. Also its a mechanical system, use some lite- lube here and there.

Marty doesn't play the Clarence guitar because its better than other modern bender systems, , he plays it because its iconic, historic, one of a kind, and HE OWNS it ! It was Clarence's guitar ! Marty has several Benders including Acoustics with Benders.

Palm levers are also very nice, except your right hand is impeded , its an extra physical action that is required and you also cannot mute the Tele bridge with a Palm lever installed .

But back to basics, they are not for everyone, if you are listening to Marty or any other Bender picker, and think they are overplaying or you get sick of hearing Bender licks, listen to something else ! :)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  11. eddiewagner

The bender itself is good and all. But if you move around while you play, it gets activated by your bodymovement, so to say. It’s a fine guitar, but you have to stand still.

12. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Afflicted

I own a 1999 Parson / Green Fender Nashville Tele.
    Bought it for $899.00 back in 2000. Just saw a red one going for $3000.00 on the bay.

Yep, they are heavy like a Les Paul. Mine stays in tune, no issues with the B bender.
    You need to approach playing it, like pedal steel:
    grab clusters of strings, and lose the pick.

I wouldn't mod the guitar, just sell it and move on.
    Its an acquired taste, in playing this specific model / design.

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

A member recently posted that he wanted to add a bender to a USA Tele and wondered if it would hurt the eventual resale value.

You two should talk!
    Sell him the bender equipped body to get adjusted and use, then buy yourself a stock body.

Happy Enchilada likes this.
  14. Nishplayer

Nishplayer Tele-Meister

You could always try a Forrest Lee Junior installed B Bender....like one I got on Reverb....a Brad Paisley Road Worn that weighes in at under 7 lbs....more like 6 lbs 7 oz.

hbb4fybpyjvavlld7liw - Copy.jpg

244300 likes this.
  15. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

If you really loved the bender thing, you would live with its challenges. Sounds like you don't, which is cool. Maybe keep trying it for a year or so until you're really sure you don't dig it, then sell it knowing you are not a bender guy.
    I really like my bender (Glaser type), it doesn't add weight, doesn't ruin the back of the guitar, and you can easily adjust the tension. I also like that I can just change to the regular strap button and un-bender it if I don't feel like bending.

244300 and smoothrecluse like this.
  16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I didn't say I didn't like Marty's playing, I even like the way Clarence sounds. When I said he didn't like other benders as well, I'm just repeating what I have heard Marty say. Marty is a good story teller though, and is very entertaining maybe he likes some of the other too, I was just going by what HE said at that particular time. As far as listening to Marty, I've been to see him live twice, and think he's probably got the best band I've ever heard including most of the rock and roll groups. Marty is the complete deal, he's a great musician, and a great entertainer, not always the same thing. I would get tired of listening to that string pull all of the time though, and that's probably why he plays some guitars without the pull. I'm sure if he doesn't get tired of it, he's smart enough to know too much of even a good thing can be off putting. I like his mandolin playing too!

urbandefault and T Prior like this.
  17. BladeStratford

BladeStratford Tele-Meister

I'm a believer in finding a guitar you love to play and inspires you and then adding a bender to it later. Just finding a guitar that I really connect with these days is tough enough much less one with a bender already installed. I rented the Fender production bender for a month and hated it. Far too heavy and didn't inspire me but... I learned I was a bender player at heart so at least it answered that question for me. Sent a Tele I did love to play over to Forrest Lee Jr. and the rest is history - I love it! No tuning or mechanical issues. Glaser bender's are another great option. Find the right guitar first and the bender will follow if you decide to head down that path. And if you decide you're not really a bender player you'll still have a guitar you love to play. Good luck and Keep it Bent!

18. eddiewagner

Right now i am warming up to the idea of playing it with that bender removed. It’s light! And sounds thinlinish. 97E54C22-F55D-4E76-AD65-74AC7297DDD8.jpeg

19. eddiewagner

Also a good idea. Do you know, who that gentleman is ?

20. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Oh my god TD, I thought i was the only one!!!

Finally someone else in my "JB too much wiggly- anonymous" group!

Drive me round the bend.

Toto'sDad and eddiewagner like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.