The Arts Are Undervalued in Our Culture.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ElJay370, Aug 8, 2019.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

That was me this morning. :cry:
    Please tell me I'm not the only one here who hates his job. I think about hurling my computer through the window and quitting, dailly.

Harry Styron and telemnemonics like this.
  2. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

Here's a relatable example.

Say you've spent the last 20 or so years developing the skills needed to build world class electric guitars. You utilize the finest exotic woods and source out premium electronic components and hardware. You use your designing experience to create graceful, ergonomic lines and curves. You log in seemingly endless hours using your woodworking prowess and instrument construction know how to reproduce these lines and curves into a beautifully made, impeccably finished music making device.

Joe Guitarist sees it and says "Woah! Sweet guitar, dude! You built that?"

You assure him that you did.

He says. "That's awesome! How much?"

You factor in all the time, effort, and acquired knowledge it took to realize this exceptional work of art, all of the sourcing of raw material and components, and all the expertice involved in properly selecting them and say:

"$4500"

Silence.

Then Joe Guitarist says "What? I could buy 7 Squiers for that kind of money!" or "Psssh! I've watched a few YouTube videos. How hard could building a guitar be?"

You hear similar things in other creative fields as well:

"300 dollars to design a logo?? No thanks, I'll get my nephew to do it for free."

"I need some professional photography done for my website. I can't afford to pay you, but think of the EXPOSURE you'll get!"

"Three 45 minute sets with a 15 minute break in between, you'll get paid in beer, and you better not suck. Don't like it? Ha! You guys are lucky I don't just buy a jukebox."

There's a commonly poor perception of the real work involved in creating things with intangible value and a wide inability or unwillingness to see the intrinsic worth within them.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    CFFF, Boubou, telemnemonics and 2 others like this.
  3. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

I was kidding about that, Andy Warhol is a terrible general contractor, Salavador Dali, gets the job done on time. Unfortunately he couldn't get a true and plumb corner to save his life...
    don't get me started on his clock building abilities, he's certainly no swiss watch maker.

but he delivers a certain asthetic that most find pleasing if somewhat menacing in the twilight hours. Did a great job on my bathroom remodel, and now I have 2 hot water taps and no cold,but its quite artistic...

RoscoeElegante and JuneauMike like this.
  4. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

This isn't just in the arts, it's common to all areas of commerce:

The Angle and JuneauMike like this.
  5. magicfingers99

you also have to factor disposable income, to someone making 20,000 a year, $4500 is 3 months pay roughly, whereas someone making 250000$ per annum that s like a weeks wages..

the business man knows, you have to sell to those with the means to purchase your goods, you market to the segment that can afford as well as appreciate what you do.

the artist,must have at least 10% business man within in him or he will give away his work for below cost...

yes there is a difference between and a 300$ and 3,000 guitar, but much of it is aesthetics and status, rather than audio quality. I mean how good does your guitar need to be to play Greenday or wonderwall?

marketing is an art on its own, much as it pains me to point out...

ElJay370 likes this.
  6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Jim Fixx helped to create all our Social Security Retirement problems. People who took up running, are living at age 96 when they should've died at age 82.

Jim is one of a number of fitness people who died quite young. But statistically the progeny of fit people is immense. There's always a few exceptions.

You're right, I never got to meet Jim. I did enjoy talking to Bill Rodgers for 20 minutes tho.

Harry Styron likes this.
  7. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

in the end, it always comes down to money, doesn't it? And money is what...? It is a device created by man to enable some to accumulate much. It is a construct, it is not real. But we have given up even trying to find another way of living.

Toast and ElJay370 like this.
  8. magicfingers99

but actually U.S. lifespain is now in decline

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...rising-drug-overdose-suicide-rates-180970942/

Broken down by gender, men could expect to live an average of 76.1 years, down from 76.2 in 2016, while women could anticipate living until 81.1, the same age projected in 2016.

personally I've been broken down by gender all my life....the curse of the Y chromosome....

9. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

With the court's permission, I'd like to submit Exibit Z: The Partscaster. It is borne from the fruit of someone else's labor, and assembled by us as a way of maximizing its value to the user while minimizing the cost paid to the original creator. I spend the most money on my Partscasters buying the things I value the most, and I cut corners where I think I can. And Fender gets crumbs at best.

My grandfather, wonderful man, was a butcher by trade. I'm told he retired and later died with entire boxes of unpaid bills from customers. My dad was a machinist who was unfortunately afflicted with a love of auto racing. Even he doesn't know exactly how much he spent in man hours and shop stock helping others people who were trying to shoe-string a working car together for Saturday nigh's race. I've given my labors away as well. I'm sure we all have.

Working and getting paid are two independent facts of life. The trick seems to be in making them inextricably tied together. Let's face it, we can't all be lucky enough to be this guy:

proxy.duckduckgo.jpg

ElJay370 and magicfingers99 like this.
  10. BigDaddyLH

Harry Styron likes this.
  11. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

This would make a hilarious SNL skit, if only they were still doing comedy.

"Ooohh, they're so abrasive and heavy. The petroleum, the tiny sharp daggers. Look at me, I'm starting to sweat, they're so aggressive."
    "They're shingles Andy. We've got to get this roof done before Wednesday. How bout if we just take it from here and you go have a hamburger or something. Ok?"

What? Uh, hmm ...uh ...What?
    No.
    What?

magicfingers99 likes this.
  12. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I like how the buidings in the background look like waves that are about to pitch over. Interesting composition to that picture.

telemnemonics likes this.
  13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

The only runner I can think of that committed suicide was a guy who had been an addict, got clean for about 12 years and threw himself hard into fitness, and then one of his kids died in a car wreck and he returned to drugs, tried to stay clean but could not, and eventually killed himself.

By comparison, do we really want to talk about all the artists, writers and musicians who have fought and lost such battles?

14. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

You're not the only one. I'd through my computer through the window, but why? It's frickin' ten-year old Dell Laptop with a half-worn out touchpad; the screen is only slighly larger than one of those old suitcase Compaq "portables".

Ok, for me, it's not just hate or the equivalent daily bread but I've been full time paychecked for the last 45 years and working for money since I was ten. I'd say I was ready for retirement, but for health insurance and other reasons, no can do.

Once upon a time, there was adequate variety, challenge, novelty, learning, blah, blah, blah. OTOH, it's not like having grown up in world described J.B. Lenoir's "Down in Mississippi".

They had a huntin' season on a rabbit
    If you shoot him you went to jail
    The season was always open on me
    Nobody needed no bail

Art undervalued? maybe, maybe not. Life undervalued? Hmmm.

15. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

Go to Venezuela or Cuba. They’ve found your better way but you have to stand in line for toilet paper.
    All of society is a construct.

Thinliner likes this.
  16. BigDaddyLH

How almighty is the dollar?

17. magicfingers99

I don't think its really fair to divide the dead by occupation, since all will walk that path eventually, its really a moot point.

Even the gods succumb, no one has seen Zeus in millenia, either he's expired or he's taken quite a vacation...

18. magicfingers99

relative to what?
    its a piece of paper and a promise, looks like the intangible promise is where the value lies to me...

JuneauMike likes this.
  19. magicfingers99

shhh, no one needs to know.. thats why we have celebrity news, so we needn't concern ourselves with troubling reality when the fantasy world is so robust...

telemnemonics likes this.
  20. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

too busy working hard, making all the money we need to buy big huge boxes of toilet paper at Costco.

teletimetx likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.