The Arts Are Undervalued in Our Culture.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ElJay370, Aug 8, 2019.

1. claes

claes Tele-Holic

That use to be the idea. I'm just not shure that's still valid when it's mandatory to take genus/hbqt/intersectionality courses for many stem students. Our academia is up to something else...

magicfingers99 likes this.
  2. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Sciences, certainly. When you get into the arts though, you have to decide which art, and whose art. Should we publicly fund ballet or graffiti art? A symphony or a bunch of or DJs? Public funding of antiquated art forms of no interest to the majority of the population is cultural elitism, better to let the market sort out the winners and losers. If my city's ballet company were to shut down I don't think anyone would notice or care. If a rich philanthropist wants to keep them afloat, that's their choice.

Thinliner and telemnemonics like this.
  3. bayside

bayside Tele-Meister

Maybe art isn't relevant anymore. The masses, there are many of us, have been transformed by the affluent consumer world we live in. Actually like music, art has no value since the creation of the computer and we may have no value either. Long live free shipping.

Flakey and nojazzhere like this.
  4. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

I feel my life is effectively 3 parts

I go to work in an 'open prison' where I conduct meaningless business with people who think it matters but don't understand the process nearly as well as I do.

The money I earn goes directly into my lifelong education of fine art and visiting different cultures and soaking up the complete beauty that has been created by man and nature

Then I sleep for around 8 hours too

telemnemonics and backporchmusic like this.
  5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Can we talk about art being undervalued WITHOUT talking about money and TWCTA (things we can't talk about)? Undervaluing doesn't have to be a monetary thing unless that is the only way you judge it.

6. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nor do people think that they should have to pay for Art, a least until the artist is long dead. I'm an Art school drop out who did 30 years in the insurance business.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

True. So many truly awful things generate tons of money while real beauty and talent get short shrift.

8. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Contrast this thread with all the ones complaining about how little bar gigs pay nowadays, and the attitude of owners who don't care about providing live music anymore. This deprioritization of arts and culture starts somewhere and ends up everywhere.

Harry Styron likes this.
  9. djh22

djh22 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

stf,small,600x600-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

SuprHtr, nojazzhere and ElJay370 like this.
  10. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

People were saying this kind of thing when big band music died, too- the arts are as alive as they've ever been, some people just can't see it because Lawrence Welk isn't on TV anymore. As Robert Zimmerman once opined,

You better start swimmin' or you'll sink like a stone,
    For the times they are a-changin'

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

trying to quantify the behaviour and response of humans is a pointless task, it all depends on the environment in which events occur, the social group, ones status in the group, etc, a host of variables that can change the outcome to be whatever you want it to be.

age,gender,income,technology,external forces like weather and war, etc.

instead of considering the abstract sociological thereoms, why not consider evaluating the current social system we are all trapped in like a fly on fly paper?

are artist as a whole highly paid in the current society, is it pursued and pushed as a high value occupation, or are the artfully adept urged to pursue more realistic goals?

belieive what occurs around you, rather than what you are told is happening, because most of the world is blowing smoke up your backside to sell you an idea or a product that is usually not in your interest to partake in..

Flakey and ElJay370 like this.
  12. magicfingers99

technology isn't about moving anything forward, its about capturing and holding hostage anything thats not nailed down, it is at its core about preserving the status quo through constant electronic surviellance.

China's social system is a great example of using hi tech to imprison its population within an electronic domain, that preserves the hierarchy and sets it into unbreakable stone.

Flakey likes this.
  13. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

LOL I love Ron Swanson, it is fitting that someone made up a pyramid for him as well. He's such a cartoonish version of outmoded masculinity that he's a meme that needs nothing more than a picture of his face to convey meaning.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  15. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Yes they are. it's a shame but it's not a priority.
    America is all about the Benjamins.
    Many have feared we haven't even made the sciences enough of a priority.
    As Gordon Gekko once said "greed is good". It was approaching the zenith of encouraging our best and brightest to pursue MBAs in finance, marketing and management. Look where that got us.
    I am very proud of my great niece who has pursued her passion in the arts. She will receive a masters in art history where she has learned among other things how to restore old works of art and books. She already has job offers. She'll probably be a curator one day. She herself is a very gifted artist.

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

The funniest part is that many people accept the caricature at face value.

17. magicfingers99

battle for the bottom, economic suicide...

18. magicfingers99

has anyone done a "soy boy" pyramid? I think i see an artistic opportunity.

JuneauMike likes this.
  19. magicfingers99

wait til you become a mom, all that will change, especially the 8hrs sleep part.

20. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I'm probably an outlier. I used to draw, paint, found object sculpture, etc. when I was very young, and I was heavily encouraged by everyone around me (teachers, parents, friends) to keep doing it. It was definitely a passion of mine, but I think only because of the encouragement I got from others, which was probably the wrong reason for doing it (i.e. no deep, existential desire here). Once I looked around and realized people's encouraging words aren't going to earn my bread, suddenly I wasn't so passionate about it.

I think you're right that maybe the threats of poverty and economic struggle dissuade many talented people from becoming painters, sculptors, dancers, musicians, but the same threats dissuade people from starting their own businesses, starting a family, and buying a house. Not that becoming an artist is exactly the same as starting a business, but some of the financial risks are the same. The level of social stigma for each are very different though, as you pointed out.

BorderRadio likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.