1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Artist Formerly Known As 'Prince'

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by FenderGuy53, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

do you mean Ray Cooper?

nobody can touch what he does in percussion.

Peace - Deeve

Frodebro likes this.
  2. winnsworld

winnsworld TDPRI Member

Brings me to tears everytime I watch this. Awesome musicians, many no longer with us, and Prince to finish was great!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

8barlouie, FenderGuy53 and Lawdawg like this.
  3. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Best part about Purple Rain is that large portions of the album track were taken from a live recording at a benefit concert the prior year. I still get goosebumps everytime the full band joins in singing harmony in the chorus.

Frodebro, 8barlouie and FenderGuy53 like this.
  4. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Losing both Bowie and Prince in early 2016 was rough! Prince was an immense talent and true genius, but Bowie's music probably meant more to me personally. Not sure we'll ever see their like again.

FenderGuy53 and haggardfan1 like this.
  5. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

It is, quite literally, 'awe'some, when one has the opportunity to live in a time when such artistry lives among us!

8barlouie and Lawdawg like this.
  6. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

Prince was not consistent at all though...

This song is horrible.

This one too.

And this one.

And they go on and on... He had a few great songs, but like I said before, I bought 4 of his albums and they disappoint. Why? Because he was trained to provide a couple SINGLES and the rest of the album is worthless. This was and still is common in the music industry. It was a singles driven market.

Admittedly, his greatest hits album would be well worth the purchase.

There were bands, songwriters, and guitarists who produce albums of superior quality to Prince. Where the album as a whole is worth listening to in it's entirety. I'm thinking Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, John Denver, Beatles, Elton John, Stones, Bowie, Crosby Stills Nash Young, Eagles, SRV, RHCP, etc...

My opinion is that his singles were great, he had talent, was a great entertainer, but most of his albums were "fluff" filler material that did not matter, because the singles sold the albums...

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Those songs are all great jams! Not my favorites of his, by far, but still

If you didn't like the albums, why'd you buy them?

Hmmmm?

I mean, sure, anyone can make a "mistake" once, but you bought 4 albums of his that you think suck
    :p

mugen74 and 8barlouie like this.
  8. WTRT

WTRT TDPRI Member

When I watched some videos of Prince rocking guitar solos it reminded me of watching Steve Windwood playing with Clapton at the Crossroads Guitar festival; I had no idea they were that good...

9. superjam144

I bought a lot of albums, in an attempt to educate myself musically. I bought every beatles record, stones record, bach composition, nick drake album, captain beefheart album, etc...

Most artists can't make a great album, most can make great singles. How many times have you purchased an album for a song on the radio, and found that the rest of the album was mediocre?

One hit wonder bands are notorious for this. Some albums are well worth the money, and end up in rolling stone magazine on a list somewhere.

My only gripe with Prince is that he has this image of a musical genius, but his albums were in some ways half assed.

I am describing a recurrent phenomenon with music in general... Most music shows glimmers of greatness, but it all gets old eventually, and some songs resonate more with others...

I guess I feel a little jaded with the industry in general. For what we have, Prince does stand out as significant, and shows a lot of what we call greatness, picking out his imperfections, as I have done here, maybe is me just playing devil's advocate against a claim that he is numero uno.

I feel like music is a collective experience, and no one artist can be singled out as being the greatest at the end of the day. An obsession with one artist can be detrimental in fact to the growth of one's own voice on guitar.

It's cool that you show so much admiration for Prince, and it does suck that he passed away as a victim of the industry the same way Petty and others have passed.

I guess I have this pie in the sky idea of who is the greatest, but unable to actually identify anyone, perhaps Prince is good enough for many to fit that bill.

I remember the first counting crows album was an amazing record, the first third eye blind record, again, amazing, but they continued to worsen over time, especially as the artists get older and with pressure from the industry to produce, even without inspiration, the music can decline drastically.

Milspec and blowtorch like this.
  10. blowtorch

These days you don't have to buy anything, just head to spotify/youtube (which also stands in for MelBay)

11. blowtorch

Wondering how many folk are familiar with his Crystal Ball and Lotusflow3r box sets of releases, along with the Black Album. A lot of great stuff on those

mugen74 likes this.
  12. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

Again, this is just YOUR opinion and it’s worth exactly what I paid for it. Let’s hear something you wrote that you think is better than the songs you listed. Prince was not “trained” to produce singles. If you knew half as much as what you think you do you’d know he spent a lot of time getting out of a record deal that basically wanted him to do just that.

jh

I also don’t think I can take anything seriously from someone that thinks Third Eye Blind was ever a good band.

drmordo likes this.
  13. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That situation is the very reason why he changed his name.

blowtorch and mugen74 like this.
  14. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

Some amazing posts in this thread. Depressing.

Frodebro and mugen74 like this.
  15. blowtorch

really I think superjam144 is being fair in his criticism and he points out it's more problems he has with the industry in general

16. superjam144

Simmer down. The guy is overrated. Good but overrated.

17. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Overrated is a peculiar word, and honestly has no meaning when applied to something as subjective as music.

18. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

“Oh yeah? Well what have you written?!!”
    Ahahahahaha classic!

19. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

20. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's

As talented as Prince was I think his catalog lacked a defining classic album.The "greats" smashed genre barriers. We'd n ot be having this discussion if he had.

Everyone had Marvin Gaye "Let's Get It On' or Mayfields "Superfly" despite being firmly anchored in soul genre. Same with Stevie Wonders early 70s albums.

From Beatles to Dylan to Pink Floyd to Led Zeppelin to The Who all had mega monster albums.

Not a knock on Prince but simply illustrates how hard it is to come up with only ONE classic album! Sorry but Purple Rain nor say The Love Symbol Album reach those heights.

Being recognized as a multi talented artists is a different beast from a classic album artist.

Like Zappa he may have been better served to have released half of his catalog distilled to the best work....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.