1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Artist Formerly Known As 'Prince'

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by FenderGuy53, Apr 22, 2020.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, what do you mean by "had" , and "could have"?
    As mugen74 says, mortality aside, he was unstoppable

matrix, Ezee and Omiewise65 like this.
  2. tonejam

tonejam Tele-Holic

That was a bizarre moment. I thought you meant Peter Noone, lead singer of Herman's Hermits.

3. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

I would agree that the "problem" with Prince is "played badly with others." From everything I've read he was a very driven guy, capable of seeing what other people could not see, musically. He had a strong musical vision and while he clearly liked the idea of bands and community, but he seems to have always discarded people after a while, and found a new set of people to help him execute his vision. It's not an uncommon thing with bands.

I heard somebody talking about Prince, claiming that Prince insisted funk was about rules: it was the opposite of earthy and spontaneous. It was about rules. I assume he meant stuff like where is the one and don't overplay, but here again he had a vision of it: he took it apart and rebuilt it: knew how it worked.

As mentioned on the other thread I'm not a fan of his rock guitar playing, which lacks the discipline of his funk playing. But he had "cracked the code" of funk and so it probably held less interest for him, and he went in a lot of different directions. I don't always like his music but I'm always impressed. He was good at all of them.

People in the other thread got into a silly tussle about dancing. Prince came from a tradition that stressed stage moves and dancing. Not all traditions do--I like jazz, where there are really almost no stage moves whatsoever. But within the tradition he came up in having good dance moves was part of being a performer, and he had the discipline and athleticism to pull it off. If it was easy everybody would do it.

Probably it was not easy to be prince. You get the sense of a very lonely guy with a lot of armor

black_doug, tonejam, Milspec and 4 others like this.
  4. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

There aren’t enough guitarists on stage. By the way does anybody know the name of guy who plays the bongos. He looks a little like “Uncle Duke” from Doonesbury and he seems to be in every tribute concert.

FWIW, I did not follow Prince’s career nor was I much of a fan but there is no denying his immense talent as a songwriter, singer, performer or guitarist.

The clip below of him playing leads, fills etc live on “Crazy” is amazing IMO.

Frodebro, Milspec, erratick and 3 others like this.
  5. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Prince is from my generation, I heard him from start to finish, but I don’t listen to him out of choice. If his stuff comes on the radio, that’s cool.
    I do however actively listen to his influences , sly stone, j brown, hendrix, pfunk ..etc.

Milspec likes this.
  6. blowtorch

Yeah, seems he's working pretty well with others in that project;)

7. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

I want to know who the person was that had to say, “Yeah, so it looks like we have enough guitarists for this particular Beatles song Mr. McCartney. Perhaps you could stand in the back and help us out on keyboards?”

~syf

8. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I thought he was cool since watching him con that girl into swimming in the wrong frozen lake....:lol:

I expect he did that to a lot of people over the years....:twisted:

mugen74 and blowtorch like this.
  9. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

well, if this is not great guitar playing?

but i understand that he wasn't specific a guitar player playing only guitar music

Frodebro, WTRT, erratick and 3 others like this.
  10. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Me too.............................they were, I believe, massive in the US?

11. blowtorch

I agree but I'm afraid you're generally talking to the wrong crowd here, as he's neither from the cast of Hee Haw nor some antiquated (that is, boomer gen) brit ripping off Robert Johnson :)

tonejam, heffus, WTRT and 4 others like this.
  12. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

That's a great concert. "Something" was epic.

13. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

Wait until they find out he favored Boss pedals!:eek:

jh

14. blowtorch

"Guitar music" is generally boring.
    I think Yngwie, Satriani, Vai, and then I start to yawn...

Personally, I like songs.

15. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Interesting you say that Prince was not really a guitarist, but then you include Harrison on the list of real guitarists. We have a difference of opinions for sure. IMO, Harrison was a guitarist alright, but he was adequate-a nd it took him awhile to even get to that point. Prince was not only a great guitarist, he could play most any type of instrument proficiently.

You make some keen observations, but I object to your characterization of Prince as “not really a guitarist”.

TheGooch, heffus, WTRT and 3 others like this.
  16. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

I feel like Prince uses guitar as a prop to his stage show, turning it into sort of a novelty.

He could play, but his heart wasn't with the instrument, it was with the stage show/antics, dancing, bravado.

Great entertainer, great stage show/presence, a lot of great songs. 300 Million dollar net worth at the time of his overdose. Helped define the 80s for a lot of people. Renaissance man, multi-instrumentalist.

Can't knock him, he has his place in music history. Greatest? That I guess is up to the listener. I prefer 90s/00s music, and guitar music. Like the Wallflowers, the Verve, Linkin' Park, Third Eye Blind, RHCP, Counting Crows... But that's what I grew up listening to on MTV as a kid, and it stuck with me, and takes me back when I hear it.

I like a lot of 80s music, but a lot of it is wasted on me... Every decade had great music, except maybe the late 2000s and on when the record labels decided to control every aspect of an artist's output... Radio plays the same terrible pop music day in and day out... Glad I got sirius xm, I can be in my little time warp and listen to Alice in Chains, Creed, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Goo Goo Dolls, etc...

Let's face it though, seeing Prince live, especially with all those beauties around dancing and screaming must have been some show! I remember I was taking guitar lessons, and my brother took banjo from the same instructor, and someone mentioned Prince. All of a sudden his wife starts going on and on about how amazing and sexy he was... Almost to the point of embarrassing my instructor. It was hilarious.

TheGooch, maxvintage and 8barlouie like this.
  17. blowtorch

I think also it's not fair to compare a solo edited and spliced together in the studio with something done spontaneously live, and by all accounts not even much rehearsed, but more off-the-cuff.

Especially considering that Prince's solo was FAR superior :)

18. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

This is a common view, but I think it is sometimes a bit overstated. Prince collaborated frequently with other musicians throughout his career but typically did so on their albums not his.

Shelia E.'s first 2 albums were almost entirely the product of her collaboration with Prince with both sharing many of the songwriting credits.

Similarly, The Time was largely a collaborative effort between Prince, Morris Day and The Time.

He continued to work and collaborate with other artists in more recent years as well contributing to the following Janelle Monae track.

He also famously shared some of his best material with other performers. "Nothing Compares 2 U" was released on another Prince collaboration The Family before being more famously recorded by Sinead O'Connor.

Did he work with legends? Yes he did. From Prince's work with Mavis Staples.

Ultimately Prince was nothing if not mercurial, no doubt about it. But he could certainly work well with others and did so frequently.

cnlbb, Frodebro, mugen74 and 4 others like this.
  19. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

He wrote Manic Monday too right?

I don't really have much to say on Prince, he was a great performer and a songwriter but he never really appealed to me.

Lawdawg likes this.
  20. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Terry Kath , Ry Cooder and Jimi was no Brit . Would you care for more ? I hate to burst any bubbles , but this Prince guy couldn't carry Terry Kath's jockstrap , let alone numerous others . Although it will never be known , but had it not been for the music video , I doubt that Mr Prince would have made much of a mark outside of the pre-pubescent weenie boppers .

superjam144 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.