1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Artist Formerly Known As 'Prince'

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by FenderGuy53, Apr 22, 2020.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Did anyone watch the Prince special last night? Wow!

There was some great music - and some great guitar playing coming off that stage!

I never recognized how prolific Prince's music was until now.

Much of his artistry is 'dance music', but for me, my most memorable image of Prince was an artist's collaboration on The Beatles' 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps'. Prince stole the show!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I watched the Grammys show and it had some shining moments, but I kept wishing we had the actual source, instead

Bella, Frodebro, 8barlouie and 3 others like this.
  3. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Afflicted

Gosh, and here I thought George Harrison wrote "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." He did bring in Clapton to play on the solo during the White Album sessions, mainly to get the other Beatles to behave.

4. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

I only listen to Jock Jams

Clifton C likes this.
  5. FenderGuy53

My bad. You are correct! Sir Eric covered the song, but it was, in fact, a Beatles' tune.

6. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

The performance you posted is otherworldly, but don't forget the one at the Concert for George. Clapton on guitar and vocals, McCartney on piano, Billy Preston on Hammond B-3, Ringo and Jim Keltner on drums, Jeff Lynne and Albert Lee on rhythm. And you might do a double-take when you spot Dhani Harrison playing one of George's Zemaitis acoustics. Looks just like his dad, circa 1965-66.

7. Djentleman Dan

Djentleman Dan Tele-Holic

It's worth spending 5 minutes reading the story about how that performance came to even have Prince, and how they met once at a restaurant and he agreed to play, then the day of they had about 5 minutes of rehearsal together with him being sort of bumped out by other guitars in the mix. So he ad-libbed the live performance and that's happened.

https://www.guitarplayer.com/player...ind-princes-while-my-guitar-gently-weeps-solo

8. FenderGuy53

Wow! That makes the story even MORE awesome. The guy was an enigma, to be sure, but a very talented one!

drmordo and blowtorch like this.
  9. Djentleman Dan

Djentleman Dan Tele-Holic

Right? I love that story, too.

10. FenderGuy53

Yes. Now, that you mention it, I remember this one, too.

Clifton C likes this.
  11. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

The first time I watched this show, I thought, "Wow, they're really nailing this song..." Well, of course they were. Except for the unavoidable but regrettable absence of John and George, everyone on the original recording was there...

12. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

My Prince Story.

I was playing a small blues bar in Carver, MN circa 1992. A woman came up to me during a break and told me this story:

She said she worked in a bank in Chanhassen, MN (where Prince lived and had his Paisley Park Studio) as a teller.

One afternoon the doors of the bank opened and 2 large Black men dressed in suit's came through and stood on either side of the door. (for a few second's she thought that they might be being robbed.)

Almost immediately, a small kid-like person came through wearing jean's, jean-jacket, high-top black sneaker's, sunglasses and doo-rag.

He didn't say a word, but walked up to her and handed her a note.

It was a withdrawal slip for 2.5 million dollars.

She said she really didn't grasp what was going on, and told him she'd get the bank manager.

She went into the manager's office and told him what was happening out front.

He replied:

"Oh, that's Prince. I've been expecting him. Send him right in."

True story.

Frodebro, 8barlouie, 68tele and 4 others like this.
  13. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

That version of WMGGW is epic, and the story just makes it better. Thanks for posting it.

I've been a Prince fan since the 90s. He is amazing on many levels - songwriting (both quality and quantity), singing, dancing, and brilliant on multiple instruments.

I personally have always wanted one of his Yellow Cloud guitars, and his early days playing a tele influenced me to want one at an early age. I really should build up a replica of his guitar.

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  14. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

As a kid in the 80’s I wasn’t allowed to watch Purple Rain for a long time, but the music was everywhere that year. I’ve been a fan ever since. Even his less than top tier albums are better than anything most people will ever do.

jh

Omiewise65 and blowtorch like this.
  15. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

sweet avatar and welcome to the forum.

drmordo likes this.
  16. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

That solo was tacky... Clapton's original was masterful.

Reminds me of when Bowie hired SRV to play on his album, and pretended to do the solo in the video, as if he could ever play like that... Prince is a songwriter first and foremost, he can play guitar, but in my book is not really a guitarist.

A guitarist is someone like Trower, Johnson, Metheney, Clapton, Hendrix, SRV, Frusciante, Page, Buckethead, Harrison, Guy, etc...

A songwriter is someone like Simon and Garfunkel, Croce, Jagger, Bowie, Lennon and McCartney, Prince, James Taylor, Cat Stevens, etc...

When an artist is not easily defined, he is an enigma and produces questions about what label he belongs to. When someone can pretend to be a guitarist, but actually is a songwriter and multi-instrumentalist, confusion ensues.

Most guitarists make amazing guitar music. Most of them can't write an amazing song, but can make amazing music. If they are in a band, everything is taken care of, if not, they have to work harder to produce good songs. Eric Johnson is an amazing guitarist, but the dude can't sing, and his songs are mediocre. Frusciante and Page did well in a band atmosphere.

I also realized something about Music. Noone is perfect. But everyone has something to offer, and excels at one given thing. Whether it is songwriting, guitar playing, singing, etc... The beatles had a winning combination, and made almost no bad songs, due to the fact that their eccentricities were masked and they played to their strengths.

Someone was talking Bach earlier. He was not famous in his lifetime, he was known for one thing. He could play an organ like SRV played a stratocaster. He traveled Europe playing in cathedrals and churches and sold out shows. It was only later that some composer found and published his music. His music is simple yet complex, mathematical, but emotional. Players of it, being atheist, have literally started believing in God after learning and playing through his music. It is potent and powerful, soulful music.

But nothing is forever, nothing is timeless, it all will fade away... Ever see that one string guitar player from Africa? He makes amazing music with one string... And it's just as effective as a composer's orchestra at making us feel good.

I'm a firm believer that music is therapeutic on many levels.

The guitar player has a passion for the instrument and what it does to him and others when he plays it, the songwriter makes waves through chord changes and melodies, lyrics. I find that noone is the complete package, and need friends to help complete the process.

Croce had a lead guitarist, Beatles had Harrison, Morrison had his piano guy...

My 2 cents.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  17. GEECEE

GEECEE TDPRI Member

A lot of wisdom and well said. Carries over into many areas of life.

18. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

I think one of the flaws with Prince was always that he didn't really work well with others. He was always compelled to play every track in recording and on the rare occassion where he shares the stage with other great artists, he tends to stand outside of the mix and draw attention to himself. His tribute solo was full of acrobatics and although impressive in that regard, it didn't complement the others at all...at times it worked in opposition in fact. It drew all the attention to Prince which is what he does. Clapton's solo sat right with the mix and complemented the other artists instead of distraction...I find it a far better performance.

I recall going to the Chicago Bulls games the first 2 years of MJ and it was the same thing every night, MJ dazzling the crowd with his drive and dunks while the team lost by 35 pts. The entire team just stood around on offense and did nothing because they would never get the ball. IF they found themselves with a rebound, they had to immediately throw it back to MJ....horrible basketball. Prince is kind of like early MJ, tons of ability and can blow you away with it, but he doesn't know how to stop making it all about him.

He does have the best Superbowl hafltime show by far and maybe that was in part because he didn't just play his own music, he played a lot of music belonging to other artists....he didn't make it all about Prince for a change. Had he embraced that side more he could have been unstoppable, but we will never get to see that.

CCK1, richiek65 and Mad Kiwi like this.
  19. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

I think it is an enjoyable performance on many levels. Jeff Lynne and Tom Petty played off of each other's vocals perfectly. The guitar fills (I'm not talking about the leads) were perfect and obviously honored the original recording. TAFKAP's contribution is noteworthy, but no one owned this performance on his own. That collection of musicians just did a great job of delivering a terrific rendition of a classic.

20. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

The man had a career in music for 41 years from 1975 up to his death in 2016. Call him what you want, but the only thing that stopped him was death.

jh

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    TheGooch, matrix, heffus and 4 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.