The Antibiotic Apocalypse

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by KevinB, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

It is not placed in meats, it is administered in low levels in food and water.

There is a big push to take anti-biotics out of the houses that raise meat chickens, and Chik Fil A is one of them. House owners are getting new contracts that include upgrades and additional capital expenditures to produce under the new program. I have reviewed contracts and loan documents for farmers going into the program. A vet or biologist working on the program told us point blank that many believe more antibiotics are going to be used in the new way of doing things than under the old way of providing small doses in feed or water. Kinda along the lines of the Chesterton Fence, a paradox or fallacy, and all that.

Chesterton’s 1929 book, The Thing, in the chapter entitled, “The Drift from Domesticity”:

In the matter of reforming things, as distinct from deforming them, there is one plain and simple principle; a principle which will probably be called a paradox. There exists in such a case a certain institution or law; let us say, for the sake of simplicity, a fence or gate erected across a road. The more modern type of reformer goes gaily up to it and says, “I don’t see the use of this; let us clear it away.” To which the more intelligent type of reformer will do well to answer: “If you don’t see the use of it, I certainly won’t let you clear it away. Go away and think. Then, when you can come back and tell me that you do see the use of it, I may allow you to destroy it."

2. smokedoctor

smokedoctor TDPRI Member

Actually, you are not allowed to sell or slaughter an animal with antibiotics in its system. Each antibiotic has an appropriate withdrawal period depending on which route it was administered. This time period is to allow the animal's body to metabolize any antibiotic present so that there is no residue in the meat. I am sure there may be something that makes it through all of the checkpoints on occasion, but the fines and penalties imposed on a producer who sells an animal with residual antibiotics are severe enough that breakages of the law are deterred. The theory however is that bacteria within meat producing animals are exposed to low levels of antibiotics over the life of an animal. These bacteria go through a selection process, whereby those susceptible to the antibiotic are killed off, while resistant bacteria live and replicate. Exposure to these resistant bacteria theoretically happen when the meat is consumed. I say theoretically because to my knowledge, no instance of this has ever been irrefutably proved. Personally though, as both a producer and a veterinarian, I prefer to consume meat from animals that haven't been given antibiotics, hormones, etc. We usually just eat meat that we have produced so we know exactly what's in it.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

4. Mr. JW

Mr. JW TDPRI Member

We're already there. In severe cases of MRSA (the so-called "flesh eating bacteria" cases) surgery is the only option to stop the further spread of infection.

5. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Yes, I assiduously avoid the farm raised salmon never mind GM salmon.

And you know that some will escape, and we'll find out they're not completely sterile and unable to breed, and native salmon populations will take another huge hit. As they said in Jurassic Park, "life will find a way".

6. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I can't come up with a good argument against the human race needing a hard reset.

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Really?

8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

What do you mean by hard reset?

9. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe similar to my idea? :idea:

:eek:

:D

10. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

. . . Don't drink the Milk ! :eek:

11. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

So if you have not had any anti biotic in 30 yrs are you better off taking one and not impacted?

12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

There are plenty of folks hard at work on coming up with that biologically-based "hard reset", so you may just get your wish yet

13. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Like a "do over" maybe? I think if you follow any sort of progression of the human species to it's logical conclusion we just can't keep hanging around and multiplying in the numbers that we do without causing a "do over".

Hopefully it will happen without destroying the physical rock we dwell on...

14. KevinB

Didn't we think 30 years ago that AIDS was going to be the hard reset, and then recently, for a brief time, we thought Ebola was it. But I'm sure something else is just waiting around the corner to provide the planet with what it needs.

It won't be pretty when it arrives.

15. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

16. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

One of the ways modern medicine is overcoming this is with the use of silver. Silver impregnated dressings are widely used in wound care because silver inhibits bacterial growth and actually potentiates the effect of some antibiotics when used simultaneously. Since silver has a different mechanism of action, acquired microbial resistance to silver is rare.

17. KevinB

Ah yes, silver.

About 5 or 6 years ago an attorney friend was working on a business plan with some people who owned a fabric mill - I think in Italy - and who were producing a material with silver fibers woven into it. I have some small samples he gave me in a drawer somewhere. They were trying to get funding to produce everything from surgical gowns to bed-bug resistant hotel pillow cases and bed sheets.

I'll be seeing him next week and I'll ask what became of the plan.

18. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I'm taking doxycycline as I read this!

I guess I'll take my chances...

19. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Just wait, Bones. Zee clock, she ticks, and on one of your birthdays, you wake up, and poof! you are not as healthy as you once were. My 60th birthday was like somebody threw the "destruct" switch on my body--like you, I'd never been sick, had exactly ONE incident of stitches, ignored the docs' instructions to take antibiotics pre-vasectomy with absolutely no ill effects. . . . but it's coming, trust me.

20. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I'm always better off not impacted. Ouch.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.