The Anachronism Thread

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by loopy reed, Dec 13, 2013.

1. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Cold and hot had to suck.
    But think about a time before deodorant, toothpaste, toiliet paper and so on when a bath was a weely event at best.:lol:

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The idea of a flimsy Mustang with a 390 truck motor standing toe to toe with the Charger is just bad script; much as I love Steve he can't quite save it. Under genuine circumstances the Mustang would've wrecked out in the first 3 minutes. Even with heavy hot rodding to the 390, it couldn't actually stay up with the Chrysler. If you run your little Mustang into a big car like that Dodge, you will be done, basically every time.

I still cringe, thinking about walking with the other guys onto a used car lot after hours (people did it all the time in those days) and popping hoods and checking out the merchandise. A little blue Mustang, about like this one and one hood hinge was frozen and we went to lift the hood and it bent on the diagonal. 2 year old car. We just put what was left of the hood down and nonchalantly moved to the car 2 cars down the row; kept shopping. Lee Iaccoca was a seriously overrrated guy in those days.

3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I watched the TV mini-series "Bonnie and Clyde." Why? I don't know why but I did, anyway there were so many things out of place in that movie even a casual observation shows the series was just way off on how things were in the depression. At the very beginning of the show, they show a few fake bullet holes in the Ford they were driving when they were ambushed. I have actually seen their real car at Whiskey Pete's in Nevada. I can tell you first hand, I have NEVER seen an abandoned car in an open field with as many holes in it as Bonnie and Clyde's car they were killed in.

Just one example of fake dialog. Clyde's dad says "don't beat yourself up over so, and so." Oh really, sounds more like a modern day soap opera. I lived right behind the depression, I can tell you for sure no one spoke like that back then. The well fed softies in that movie have little resemblance to anyone who actually lived through that era. Those were hard times, and hard people.

4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Like a lot of folks who couldn't afford to go shopping during the day who couldn't afford to buy anything, my wife and I used to do exactly what you were doing in your post in the old days. I'll never forget the night a lady night watchman came out and told us to beat it. The end of an era for the little people. ;)

We would later in life purchase quite a few new automobiles, but I never enjoyed looking at any of the new ones we bought as well as dreaming of the ones we used to look at when we were young.

People beat up Guitar Center all the time, but many young guys get to go there and hang out, and play guitars they can't afford. I saw a trio of them banging merrily away on some VERY out of tune axes and thought you couldn't shake 3 bucks out of all three of their pockets, but they were having a ball. I envied them. Reminded me of my after hours auto shopping days.

5. gandsfjord

gandsfjord Tele-Meister

They had special gearboxes for those movies:
    [​IMG]

6. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

It's got nothing to do with fiction. It's got to do with producers wanting to credit 'experts' so that they can claim legitimacy.

For example, there's a particular history series where one of the episodes had retained a particular expert (who is well-known in his field, and a museum curator). A friend who knew him asked why he allowed the inaccuracies. His reply? "I answered when they asked. They ignored me. The check cleared."

7. urizen

urizen Tele-Afflicted

This is interesting/informative/entertaining for those w/ a train-spotter mentality about guns in movies, especially re: historical accuracy in terms of the setting...as in Guy Ritchie's Holmes franchise, for example:
    http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Category:Movie

8. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I think we had a similar thread here in the early 80's.

9. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

My wife's car is a 6-speed. I thought most cars have at least 6 gears these days.

10. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

I dunnno. I actually seen cars like that track raced, not speedway. The smaller, lighter, more agile but less powerful car usually wipes the floor with the big'un. It may have more horses but it don't go round corners, all the handling characteristics of an emperor size water bed.
    You need a short wheelbase to swap directions quickly, and acceleration is where weight matters most, there's a reason why race cars are deliberately kept light.

It wasn't anachronism in Bullit but continuity errors in that magnificent car chase. They knew they were out to wreck several cars, and it looks like they had fun doing it. Must have given the film editor kittens trying to stitch it all back together ;)

11. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

As as past owner of both Mustangs and Chryslers I can't really agree either Boris. In a drag race/straight line the 440 would have an edge but not a huge one (14.70 Vs 15.50 1/4 mile times) and the Charger's lame-ass torsion bar suspension didn't handle anywhere near as good as a stock Mustang GT. It was, as you point out, larger but also @ 600lbs heavier (plus add another 170 for the gunman). As for quality of build I gotta wonder if you've even driven Chrysler products from the era.

12. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

the was a classic aussie biker movie "Stone".. came out in '74..... it was the first look at the kwaka 900's.... which the bikies had..

the "dude" guy had a Norton Commando and there was a race scene between the Norton and the Kwaka around the streets.... first time I'd seen road bikes doing power monowheels, etc... as teens we thought it was a cool movie....:cool:

kinda like our lame version of "bullitt"... I guess.... :lol:

13. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

That was one crazy race! Most of the time they were on the wrong side of the road! :D

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Had a whole slew of Mopars, and so did my parents, cousins and so forth.

Look, the part I am talking about is car to car contact. The small Ford dies, in real life, and sometimes so do the people in it. I handled wrecks for a living in the late 70s, 80s and 90s, and listened to a lot of accident reconstruction guys give hours of testimony on cars like these. While the torsion bar system leaned badly and understeered like mad, it could take truly epic abuse and I know because I did a lot of it. The same abuse tears the front wheel right off the small Ford or knocks it so akilter it won't roll.

Read the accounts from the prep guys and drivers who made this movie. The stock Chrysler walked away from the little Mustang, even though they reworked the heads and got it to breathe better and so forth. I trust the fellows that did the movie when they say the Mustang was weak. And there aren't any twisties in the movie script so let's don't wander off that way.

I kept buying & driving late 60s and very early 1970s Chryslers for years because I was so unimpressed with the smogged and monster bumpered cars that Ralph Nader brought us. Yes, past the 1974 models I didn't own those - but they're not in the movie.

15. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

it looks so dated now, maricopa... low budget, I guess..;)

I think the main bikie actors got paid with the K900's they used..;)

it's a good movie plot wise... and filmed around Sydney.. the bikers have their hide out in an old military gun emplacement out on Sydney heads.... and ride down into it...
    one of their guys while tripping out at a rally and sees a political assassination/the shooter... so the cops/polys are trying to take him out before the case comes up...
    though the bikies don't realise why they are being taken out, for a while until it gets pieced together by the "dude" guy, a copper, who tries to hang out with them, etc...

ok for the times... and good to see an aussie made movie at the time...;)

16. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

When I was on the road way back (Corky Laing on drums - before Mountain) I had one of these (1967 R/T) with a 440 Magnum, 375 horse - similar to the pic. One of my friends had a Charger 426 Hemi. We considered those 390 Mustangs junk - ate them for breakfast. I had 3.91 gears and was 2 car-lengths ahead of the Mustang before I got to 45 mph. I could usually beat the Charger 426 Hemi to 60 depending upon the differential gears but after that they passed me like I was standing still. My Uncle had a tire shop in Montreal so I ran with street slicks in the summer.

Useless in the rain but almost did wheelies. Put a $10 bill on the dashboard and floored it. If you could lean forward and pick it up you could keep it.

The way to counteract understeer was to wack the gas and control the back-end slide with the throttle...like drifting, almost an art form. I went through 2 motors and 5 transmissions plus bent the rear axles but got most of it under a 50,000 mile warranty. Took a licking and kept on ticking...

My bass player had a 67 Plymouth GTX same color - we kicked the crap out of those cars and I dumped mine at 110,000 miles got a Volvo 142E in 1971. That Volvo was the biggest piece of garbage I ever bought - leaky injectors, bad front suspension bushings, blew synchros, started to rust out under the doors in 2 years (Montreal winter = lots of salt), handled worse than a school bus. Wish I had the R/T back even with the gas prices today.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  17. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Yeah Boris I've read all that same stuff about the chase scene and have no doubt it was true in that case. The 440 made some power and the stock 390 was no prize. I do seem to remeber quite a few turns in that scene but I agree the Mustang could not have made up the distance on the open road once he fell behind the first time.

I and my buddies had Mustangs, Chargers, Challengers, Dusters, Camaros etc. and we had a lot of fun in those deathtraps of yore. One of my favorite Chryslers was my folks '71 440-powered New Yorker. Bootleg turns and smokey donuts in parking lots were a blast with 6 or 7 other kids crammed in. Sadly it fell to a drunk in a Caddy El Dorado running a red light.

I had a 'Shelby'd up '66 Mustang coupe that was flared, Koni-ized and lowered with a warmed over 302 and manual valve body transmission and loved losing those big tanks in the corners. Never tried smashing up against 'em tho.

Bart that was good post, very funny stuff. I remember Carroll Shelby with the same 'snatch the bill' story except it was a Cobra and a $100 bill. I have a Cobra, and it doesn't work.

18. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

^^^^ We used to run down the autoroutes near Montreal on the way to out-of-town gigs and back with my bass player towing a uHaul with a Hammond organ, leslie and other gear.

I remember bouncing the speedometer needles off the top speed which was 135 or 145 or whatever - with that uHaul on the back. Hard to believe we were that stupid with those crap red-line stock non-radial tires, useless brakes. I was too cheap to buy the disc brake option which was probably about $100 in those days and thought the heavy-duty drum brakes would be ok. Burnt the drums and linings with regularity, sometimes in 4,000 miles after a brake job, once about 2 days after when I came into an unexpected red light on a local highway doing 90. In the days before the police had radar.

Almost bought a Shelby Mustang and almost bought a Z28 after I blew the engine - fun times.

19. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Before 1920, toilet paper was not very common. Imagine a world without toilet paper.....;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilet_paper
    About half way down the page:

"Joseph Gayetty is widely credited with being the inventor of modern commercially available toilet paper in the United States. Gayetty's paper, first introduced in 1857, was available as late as the 1920s."

20. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Well... There is that!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.