The almost famous 19 bar blues,

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by ASATKat, Aug 2, 2019.

1. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

Good Morning Little Schoolgirl is 19 bars long, count it out =)

Muddy Waters

The Ford Blues Band

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    Toast likes this.
  2. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Maybe it's an extended 12 bar blues :) Amazing tunes. Two thumbs up.

3. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

Yes, it's just a I7 IV7 V7 but extended to 19 bars. It's like a 12 bar blues with an extra 7 bars of interludes (jammimg).

That twist makes this an exciting blues to play.

I was disappointed that the Dead played it as a 12 bar as did Ten Years After. Why would they do that? Destroy the uniqueness of the only 19 bar they know, weird imo. The tune is Muddy's and he played it as a 19 bar.

In a performing blues set a tune like this breaks up any sameness of 12 bars, I need variety, a shuffle, rhumba, minor, 8 bar, 16 bar, 19 bar,,, the audience stays interested.

Obsessed and Toast like this.
  4. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I don't know how they played 12 bar blues in the early days. I imagine (and this really is my imagination) that when a musician showed up for a paying gig at some riverboat brothel way back when, he might plink out a 12 bar blues ditty to get everybody warmed up. After the warmup, I imagine improvisation ruled rather than the musical form.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

6. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I have the same opinion about this as I do about Hooker's 11 and 13 bar songs.

Whatever they do is alright with me. The Greats follow the rules they choose to, if they feel like it. I'll take what they give me and be grateful.

:)

stinkey, Piggy Stu and tarheelbob like this.
  7. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I gotta love this as I’m the master of getting lost in a turnaround and adding a few bars here and there. Or I just like the turnaround so much I don’t want to stop:lol::eek:

At home it’s no big deal but it’s a bad habit. Every time I play with others and do the 12 bar, I have to restrain myself:lol:

Obsessed likes this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Nice thread. Anyone count out the Yardbird's version? To early for me to check into it.

I play Rev. Gary Davis', "Death Don't Have No Mercy" and as a 14 bar blues, it seems so natural.

Flaneur likes this.
  9. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

The inst. 'solo' section that starts at 1:23 is 20 bars long. Groove gets a little squirrely around bar 13/14 (before the break) but the drummer pulls it back in.

Wally likes this.
  10. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I was listening to some old Fleetwood Mac recordings....the original band....quite a few years back....I don't recall the tune but it was a live recording. I could feel something happen in the song but couldn't put my finger on it. So, I started counting bars and sure enough there was a 13 bar verse. This was a live recording but, trusting my own ears and intuition, I swear it wasn't rehearsed.....they were all just really tuned into each other.....I mean, that was a pretty great band with one of the best (and maybe least acknowledged) rhythm sections and I think it just 'happened' and they made it work. Of course in 'deep' blues that stuff happened all the time....people were too busy groovin' and making music to worry about counting bars....this is music, not math.

11. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

EDIT: Double post weirdness happened.

12. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I love "You Don't Love Me," which I first discovered by John Mayall, on the Peter Green Mayall album, A Hard Road (it's a cover, and the pattern is the same in the original, though the riff is different). I think IIRC it's a 27 or 13 1/2 bar pattern, depending on whether you are counting straight time or cut time...but it flows so well, you'd never know it.

The original:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.