The Allure of Simplicity

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by The Little Guy, May 8, 2017.

1. The Little Guy

The Little Guy Tele-Meister

I actually played a vintage Esquire a few years ago. Like "appraised for more than my house" vintage (I live in a relatively cheap house, but still). It was pretty sweet.

I own several teles. Maybe this journey is going to teach me I'm a tele man. But not until I put in time on the strat.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Minimalist518 likes this.
  2. coolikedat99

coolikedat99 Tele-Meister

I have two electric guitars. Both of them only have one humbucker in the bridge. One is a Les Paul, which I utilize the tone knob on to get some milder and bluesier tones, while the other is a strat with just the volume control which I use for some 80's rock shenanigans.

I'd say simplifying my gear has made me improve my technique and phrasing better than buying any gear ever will.

YMMV, but I'm currently on the quest to simplify even more. It's that effective for me.

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I don't spend a lot of time switching around on my strat. I play it on the neck position, or mid+bridge, or bridge, depending on the song, and that's it.

That said, I have a 1-pickup LaCab klone, and I never miss those other pickup options when I'm playing it, so...

syrynx likes this.
  4. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

About 20 years ago I used to play a Boss ME-10 (a big-ass multi-effect unit) straight into the PA. It had 13 effects: overdrive, distortion, phase, flange, compressor, Chorus, delay, etc... and something ridiculous like 128 programmable settings called patches. Each patch was like an effect you could switch in. I used maybe up to 8 custom patches I could access for the tunes we were playing. It was high tech When it came out but sounded very processed so I unloaded it about 15 years ago. I wanted a less artificial sound, if that makes sense.

Then I bought a Digital-tech all in one unit. It's probably better but still too processed and artificial sounding.

Back then I was as playing humbucker guitars.

Now I've gone back to an amp and a couple of pedals, an optical compressor, TS9, Timmy, delay and reverb. I've got some others but they tend to gather dust.

...And I'm playing 99% of the time on the Strat or Tele. My Ibanez guitars are dust free and ready for action but at least at the moment, I just want to play single coil guitars. I think a 5E3 is somewhere on the horizon too.

syrynx likes this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm simple.
    My go to rig is my Chet, Roland Cube 80XL and 12' angle cord.
    No pedals on the floor.
    I use the effects and tuner in the amp.
    I use the pickup selector a lot to change tones, never touch the pots.
    Anything less than full up bugs me.
    I'm a "set and forget" guy on the amps EQ, though I change the EQ venue to venue.
    Volume is set at 11 O'clock, 7 O'clock being off.
    I change the tremelo speed, amount of reverb and slap delay.
    I use the looper on one song a night for a clever intro.
    Simple is good.
    I'm in and out of most gigs before everyone else.

syrynx likes this.
  6. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

I have about 20 guitars, 15 Amps and 3 pedal boards. It gets confusing deciding which to use at any given time.

I remember simpler younger days with one guitar, one amp and one cord ------no deliberation required!

I find it liberating occationally just using one guitar, a delay and an amp. No distractions, just play! Platefire

7. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's

If you're
    a novice in your playing as you intimated in your post, let me suggest to you that your tone and sense of sound will change as you grow as a player.
    I've played for over 50 years and I find things in all my guitars as I grow.
    It's a journey. Enjoy

8. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

Simple, it is impossible to go simpler than I have recently. I haven't performed for decades so the guitar is my fun and relaxation. I just picked up a Taylor hybrid acoustic/electric, T5z Pro. What a truly amazing neck, and fit and finish. Lately I just grab that and play acoustic, what a nice break from the amp, pedals and pickups.

9. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

The best thing about simple is that your sound is easy to get to. Lately I've been running my Tele into a '60s Ampeg jet with some slap back and a reverb. It's a great sound that takes a second to dial into.

10. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Hay Bob, I'm with you on that. I love to run my Tele with a slap back delay through my Silvertone 1482---sweet! Platefire

11. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I never got all that complicated. BF Fender amps and Gibson guitars for years, wah-wah sometimes. Then I get a Mesa studio 22 with seven sensitive knobs and a 5-band EQ. It's supposed to sound great, but it never quite gets it. So, I go all the way the other way. Build a 5E3 kit, three knobs, always sounds good no matter how I set it.

I've got two Teles, one with a 3-way, one with a 4-way. The extra sound on the 4-way is cool, but I'm playing the 3-way more.

I think for my 70th birthday, it will have to be a 5F1 Champ and an Esquire. :)

12. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Sounds like lack of experience to me. Once you have it, it doesn't really matter what guitar you play, you just dial in what you like and be done with it.

But then again only a lot of fiddling will give you the experience .. so ...

You can just fiddle away until you get more experienced or you can simplify in order to focus on playing. Either the Cab or maybe a esquire or ... ?

But also something else .. instead of that mustang with it's zillion options you could go after a simple fender tube amp with not too many knobs. One of those just has that one sound that does the job whatever you might end up plugging into it :)

13. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

The older I get, the more I appreciate simplicity...you'll know it when you hear it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.