The Aesthetics of Re-housing a Silverface Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by theprofessor, Jun 3, 2020.

1. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

As many cabinets of the silverface era are, my Deluxe Reverb cabinet from '76 is rickety and heavy. I'm planning to build another cabinet for it out of clear shelving pine with a void-free birch plywood floating baffle. And since I've just learned to apply Tolex, too, I'll add that as well.

While I plan to build an exact replica of my Deluxe Reverb cabinet, dimension-wise, I have been wondering about venturing away from Fender's black Tolex aesthetic. It has seemed to me, though, that silverface faceplates are particularly restrictive about what color combinations they will "allow" -- at least by comparison to their older blackface-panel brothers.

I found this great thread on the topic from 2015, and it does seem to me that the Teal Levant Tolex from Mojotone is pretty much an exact match to the color on the silverface panel. If I were to go that route, I'd pair it with the aged black/white/silver grill cloth or even the aged blue/white/silver grill cloth.

I'm not certain, however, if I am bold enough to take the silverface aesthetic to what I take to be its logical conclusion, so I'd love to see what others have done when re-housing their silverface amps. Please post pics, if possible. Thanks!

2. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Afflicted

Eww.

Wallaby likes this.
  3. theprofessor

P.S. This is a pic of a Princeton Reverb re-done by @Big_Bend, I believe. It was included in that thread from 2015. Apparently, that is Teal Levant Tolex.

pr0.JPG

Alex W, stormsedge, Obsessed and 4 others like this.
  4. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Okay, I like that more than I thought I would.

Is the jewel lamp stock?

5. theprofessor

I have a blue jewel on mine already. They normally came with red.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    stormsedge likes this.
  6. theprofessor

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  7. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

theprofessor likes this.
  8. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Here's a couple I did in Teal, they have the same grill cloth but with different sides facing out: Dec 2018 Front.jpg Teal MMB 1.jpg

stormsedge, Obsessed, MickM and 2 others like this.
  9. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I made a combo amp out of a Bandmaster Reverb chassis years ago, used teal vinyl to cover the cabinet, it looked great and matched the lettering on the chassis well. Go for it!

stormsedge and theprofessor like this.
  10. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Rickety? Is it really structurally weak? That's very rare in my experience. Fender overbuilt wonderfully. Those box (finger) joints are pretty solid. It would take a five foot drop, landing on a corner, to rack one of those babies, I bet.

Aesthetically, I'd only touch the cab if necessary, and then I'd recreate the same old look. THEN, I'd build a clone, and do whatever I wanted with it. I'm not interested in preserving history. It's like not seeing a Fender spaghetti logo where you expect to see one. Unsettling, distracting. Just. Not. Right. :D

nojazzhere and theprofessor like this.
  11. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

12. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

That teal is not to my taste, which says nothing about yours. Go for it. No rules. Taste is everything.

I just completed a SFDR re-cab myself, a '68 DR. I like black tolex, so went with that. But the cab is larger. A 1x15 built by Peter Mather. Loving the new sounds from this cab, and the fresh look of a non-beatup cab is a big improvement.

W.L.Weller likes this.
  13. theprofessor

Yes, I'm trying to decide if I can deal with the teal myself. It's not naturally to my taste, which is why I'm exploring some other options. I'd love to see pics of the cabinet with the 1x15" speaker, if you have any, just to get a sense of the dimensions.

14. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You can redo the original cab by modding with a floating baffle and no removeable particle board grill frame. It's not that hard. It should already be pine right? and quite light weight.

15. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

I think that 15" speakers are under-rated for guitar. I've been threatening to make a 1 x 15" with a Hohner chassis I have for a few years now. I even have the pine and white Tolex. Just need to bite the bullet.

Wally, theprofessor and mad dog like this.
  16. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I'm with you there. They don't always work. But when they do ...

I ordered this 1x15 DR combo cab with a 15 to 12 converter ring. Figured I'd take it in two steps. Loved the Alltone 1250 speaker that came with this old SFDR, in the stock cab. So tried that first in the new cab, with the converter ring. And it did sound sweet. A bigger sound than in the stock cab, which I'm guessing is attributable both to cab size and to the quality of Peter Mather's work.

Then I tried a WGS G15C speaker. (Having had great luck with a G12C and G10C in a 12+10 pine cab.) Even new, not broken it, it sounded so right. At least with this amp, cab and speaker, 15" is a big winner.

theprofessor likes this.
  17. theprofessor

Yes. I simply thought I'd leave the original one as-is and make an entirely new cabinet. I already have the materials now, and I'd rather do that than modify the vintage one.

Jlwctn and W.L.Weller like this.
  18. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Tele-Afflicted

Professor, have you considered wine taurus with wheat grill? I think the contrast would set off the blue of the face plate rather nicely.

It would look nice sitting next to your other amps I bet.;)

teletimetx likes this.
  19. theprofessor

Thank you. No, I had not considered that, though I do like that combination. And an upside of it would be that it would also look good with a black faceplate, should it be used at some point for a blackface DR. Thank you.

20. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

All due kudos for your plans, theprofessor. And due respect for personal taste.

But do revisit your Tolexing plans, just for a moment...? Look at what simple staining can do!
    download-7.jpg
    1570570056_amp_frt_001_nr.png
    Makore-Pine-Combo_02.jpg
    Let the wood be good!

And best wishes in your venture.

Jlwctn, Alex W, Obsessed and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.