The Acid Test - new guitars vs vintage according to Marty Stuart

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rze99, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Marty amped up the wardrobe after Cash died.

mostly black

you see Ricky Skaggs hair lately ?

Remind you of anybody ?

Wearable tributes

Toto'sDad likes this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Mr. Kirn, that's just too much truth to throw at guitar players all at one time. They're a sensitive lot, and might you might hurt their feelings, 'cause they know things! :D

One time I went into a shop up in Porterville where they worked on Banjos, I was there for a lesson, and I happened to arrive just as a heated discussions started up between a guy who had his banjo worked on and the tech. It seems when the tech worked on the banjo, he pulled the back off of the pot and wiped THE DUST OUT OF IT! The owner was distraught that the banjo would NEVER sound the same again.

The lesson turned out to be a complete waste of time, 'cause it don't really matter how you play one of those things, it's still gonna sound like a banjo.

3. Toto'sDad

He's startin' to sound a little like him too.

4. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Did somebody say Johnny Cash?

roknfnrol likes this.
  5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I had a very nice 1973 Strat that I made the mistake of selling for $250 in 1992 in my one and only gear purge. When I see what similar ones are selling for now on Reverb I think "D'oh!". But, if I had the choice of buying another vintage 70's or spending roughly the same amount on a new Custom Shop Strat, I'd go with the Custom Shop.

JL_LI likes this.
  6. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

No that ain't it. If you look closely at a modern guitar, their fit & finish is WAY better than that of a vintage axe. What the old ones have that the new ones are lacking is touch sensitivity, playability & vintage TONE. Not necessarily BETTER tone than a new guitar, but it is the tone we grew up with & are used to hearing. The touch sensitivity allows the guitar to literally play itself, while you hafta struggle to get what you want out of a new production axe. New guitars will never capture that. Custom Shop comes close, but no seegar.

7. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

as a former BlueGrass Banjo picker... I can just imagine..... I've been in a few of those discussions too.. the reality is.. he was right. it would never sound the same again.. but where such reasoning fails . . the difference is so subtle one wold need access to a pretty high level audio lab and some pretty esoteric equipment to detect it, because no one could do so with their ears..

some guys just cannot "wrap their heads" around the idea that subtle changes are completely lost when a group "steps up" . . the ratio, measured in db between what they're thinking of and the real volume of the performance completely occludes any chance of actually hearing what a little dust did to the sound.

rk

Toto'sDad likes this.
  8. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have a ‘79 Deering banjo. I have to be very careful with the head, because I got a blood stain on it years ago, and that’s tone that will be lost if I replace it.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Mike Campbell won’t clean his fretboard or let his techs do it to his Broadcaster. Yuk.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  10. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

I think you're selling the Mr. Fender a bit short there.
    While Leo was known for watching his pennies he was all about making a quality product. During the entire time he ran G&L they were in the red. Leo even had some instruments made overseas to see whether that would be a profitable venture... after he inspected the offerings, he declined. They created the SC line of G&L's not for students but to cover more of the market (ie more affordable versions) that's why they're stripped down, have fewer knobs, no p/g etc...but they had the same hardware and pickups of the higher end models. They even used a smaller wood/tolex case for them which proved less costly tho still had latches, keys and metal corners. Dale Hyatt was quoted as saying they might as well had sent a $50 note out with every SC-1 guitar as they was what they were losing on each one. Leo didn't skimp on quality just to turn a profit. And Leo did put consideration in different types of woods all thru Fender, Music Man and G&L. Plus, even lower grades of timber back in the day was heaps better than much of what is used today... apples to oranges. Sure there were dogs back in the day but even those were made with higher quality woods and components.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  11. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

there's all kind of superstitions that professionals cling onto...

Many years ago when I was in Television Production, a group of retired Major League Baseball players owned part of the local Minor League team, the Jacksonville Suns ... Among the group was Micky Mantle, Yogi Berra, Leo Durocher . .

Every time they were in town we would set up and do a half hour show with them. the baseball park was right across the street from out TV station.. Still is...

man they loved to talk about the weirdness that went on among the players.... some wouldn't change or wash their sox or other things that should be washed regularly, all season :eek:... and that's just the tip of the proverbial iceberg...

high level Race Car drivers aren't far removed either.... :rolleyes:

r

Toto'sDad and nojazzhere like this.
  12. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

According to an interview I saw with Guthrie, this guitar was also make by Floyd Cassista.

I've thought about driving up there to ask Floyd to make one for me just like Guthrie's with Mexican pickups just like his. There must be some magic in that thing - I can't make my Mexican pickups sound anything like Guthrie. What's up with that? o_O

13. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

To me, the big problem with vintage guitars is that they're either beat (not pre-loved, beaten) or you'll need to trade in your BMW on one. And crazy enough, refretting or replacing a no longer functioning pot or cracked knob decreases its value. This may make sense for something to place in a showcase with a light shining on it. To buy it to play is nuts. Fender Custom Shop does a pretty decent job of recreating a vintage guitar right down to the pickups. They may not be pre-demagnetized, but selected for a low resistance, they'll be close. And Josephina can make you anything you can pay for. Let's say you GAS for a '69 Strat. But you play thumb over. No problem. You can order it with a modern V neck. You're a dive bomber? Get locking tuners. Sold your Tele to pay for it? Get an S1 switch for that bridge and neck sound. You can even get it pre dented so you don't have to have an anxiety attack gigging with it. There's no such thing as perfect in an imperfect world. You can't make a vintage guitar look or play like new. You can't make a modern guitar that's an "exact" replica. But you can get a modern guitar in almost any price range that plays pretty dang well. If you have the money for a made to measure suit, you can get a made to measure (or spec) guitar, take it home or take it out and play it, and you can transport it to and from a gig in the bimmer, or RAM 2500 for that matter, that you still own. Just sayin'.

14. Toto'sDad

Wonder if they sell bottle MC DNA to folks who buy his Tele to smear on the fretboard from time to time?

15. Toto'sDad

Well, I'll bet there's a guy in Porterville California that would completely agree with you.

16. Toto'sDad

It's a scientific fact that teenagers can hear things they will be unable to hear later in life. Some of us just can't turn loose of what used to be.

rolandson, DekeDog and JL_LI like this.
  17. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

“AB Neg? No way, man, that won’t work! You need O for bluegrass!”

Toto'sDad likes this.
  18. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

I have old guitars (1957 Gibson ES-225, 1971 Framus Blue Ridge 12-string) and I have new guitars (2019 G&L ASAT, 2018 Fender Stratocaster XII) and I love 'em all.

Just because I'm getting older doesn't mean I'm getting better.

DekeDog likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

My banjo playing was DNA tested, and it seemed to consist mostly of crap.

20. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

and/or different:twisted: ears

StrangerNY likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.