The Acid Test - new guitars vs vintage according to Marty Stuart

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rze99, Dec 2, 2019 at 11:52 AM.

1. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

Ahaha that's so good, man. Pretty much what I thought.

Maybe for Marty personally there is no comparison to his two personal vintage guitars but then again he's a little biased. Also easier to get attached and biased toward vintage when you have the money and connections. If Marty had just been playing a RI telecaster for the last 25 years. I'm sure he would be biased toward that one after such a long connection.

I mean Kenny plays through Floyd Cassista teles, RS Guitar Works teles, vintage teles, occasional hollow body's and SG's. He gets amazing tones out of every one. In fact two of the best sounding guitars I have ever heard are partscaster Floyd Cassista Telecasters. One is Guthrie Trapps and the two is Kenny's. As long as you have a guitar that is descent and you believe is right.....it's all in the hands....

....and the amp ahaha.

By the way, here is a cool video of Kenny producing an awesome tone on his Floyd tele. Watch it. You won't be disappointed.

nomadh, nojazzhere, Chip and 6 others like this.
  2. Chick-N-Picker

^ Seriously click this video...

nojazzhere and Chip like this.
  3. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

OK, so it's without the middle finger kiss .. Brag may be overdoing it, but it's definately at least branding .. Celebrating his autentency .. You know, true country .. Old School values. Just a man, a bottle and a 50s tele

Never a statement I'd put anything into ... I mean even ignoring the above ... if he had been playing an Ibanez JEM the last 20 years and gotten used to that ... A 50s tele would probably also sound/feel wrong when he took it with him on stage as well

Chick-N-Picker likes this.
  4. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

I'm confused. Are you talking guitars, violins or saxophones? :lol:

5. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I know he’s a gifted pro but, onstage, in the mix, mic’d amps, etc, it has to be hard to discern any difference. Clapton changes guitars as frequently as most of us change underwear, yet he sounds fine and he’s sold most of vintage axes as has Gilmour. Gilmour said it wasn’t terribly difficult to let go of his treasures.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 9:10 AM
    nojazzhere and Lobomov like this.
  6. Chick-N-Picker

You thought I was done.....think again. Here is two, count em', two Floyd Teles going at the same time. If you like the first video then you'll also enjoy this one.

nomadh, nojazzhere and stevemc like this.
  7. DaveGo

DaveGo Tele-Meister

I have a Cassista and I can assure you Kenny and Guthrie's playing has little to do with that particular guitar. Unfortunately while building my guitar Floyd had a bit of a mid-life crisis where he couldn't make up his mind if wanted to continue making guitars or build porch swings. I'm not entirely certain he still builds guitars. My Cassista guitar/porch swing is the worst in my small Tele stable. Players like Kenny, Guthrie, Marty, Redd, et al. could play any make, model, neck shape, fret size, pick up combination and as long as the neck was still attached to the body, could do things with it I could only dream of doing. At the end of the day it's the player not the guitar in my opinion. Since most of us will never be that kind of player we have to fetishize the instrument, since that is the easiest variable to change to give us the false hope that playing a dragon Tele will make us play/sound like Jimmy Page or playing a '53 Tele will make you play/sound like Roy Buchanan. If I played Marty's Clarence B-bender it would sound like I was playing the bagpipes. I'm 66 and have been torturing guitars since I was 10 or 12 and I still haven't learned how to play like I want. Though I covet vintage instruments and had some in the '70s when they were just old used guitars, I'll never be able to own one again and that's OK. I just need to learn to play the ones I have. And, I assure you Marty wasn't being elitist about vintage guitars. He's the nicest, most down to earth guy in the world.

Dave

8. Chick-N-Picker

Why were my videos from youtube from above removed? Never had that happen.

Edit: I hit edit and save changes and they came back. We'll see if they go away again.

9. Chick-N-Picker

Got a picture of your Floyd?

Oh, I know Marty wasn't being an elitist and he comes across as one of the nicest, most down to Earth, and humble guys around. I'm a huge fan of Marty. He's my favorite mandolin player, one of my favorite guitar players. He also has one of the best over all voices in terms of tone & being able to sing, not to mention he wrote one of the greatest albums ever with The Pilgrim, which has one of the greatest country songs of all time with Reasons. Nah, I wasn't bad mouthing Marty, if it read that way.

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Never heard one song from this guy, so I'm not particularly interested in how he gets his tonez, but after googling him and seeing his photos, I would like to find out who his tailor is so that I can avoid them like the plague. Looks like an episode of Q-Eye for the Straight Guy gone horribly wrong.

Marc Morfei and Boubou like this.
  11. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

And the opposite is equally true. There are duds that no mod can seem to improve, and they built those too, day one. I see some of the same vintage instruments on Ebay and Reverb, changing hands every couple years, and figure those are duds. I've owned some vintage duds and new duds. And then I own some standouts. I've gone into a store to hand cull the best out of dozens of the same model, more than once. Not all 50's examples are standouts. Some artists get it, and chase the special ones.

LowCaster likes this.
  12. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I have to say that in watching the Ken Burns country music doc, in which Stuart plays a starring role, he looked, um, let's just say extremely carefully made up. Reminded me of Little Richard.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 8:12 AM
    nomadh and Bones like this.
  13. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Holic

It's not about time. They were just made better from better materials back then. That is why they cost more relative to what you buy today.

nojazzhere and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  14. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

:lol: Bones weighs in on the reigning King of Country Music. . . .

nojazzhere and Dan German like this.
  15. Bones

Telecasters were made from the cheapest materials that Leo could afford, he didn't put any consideration into "tone wood".

16. Bones

I don't know anything about his music or any country music, just judging a book by the cover and he's a weird looking dude.

P Thought likes this.
  17. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

Just another guy and his opinions.

nojazzhere and Bones like this.
  18. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

wow! a musician dressing flashy!imagine that.marty is cool.

nojazzhere and StrangerNY like this.
  19. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

And now no-one wants pine guitars :)

Bones likes this.
  20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

tone is subjective

great plAying as always by Kenny but I didn’t like that tone At all.

sounds like a pedal

Chick-N-Picker likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.