The Acid Test - new guitars vs vintage according to Marty Stuart

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rze99, Dec 2, 2019.

1. DaveGo

DaveGo Tele-Meister

Can a professional musician classify the purchase of a vintage instrument as a business expense and write it off or amortize it on their taxes? If so Joe Bonamassa hasn’t paid any taxes the last few years.

nojazzhere and Slap Axe like this.
  2. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Perhaps, but I don’t get that vibe from Marty.

3. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Consider this: You put several thousand bucks into a vintage guitar. Then somebody asked you if you prefer that guitar over one that you could have purchased for a fraction of the price.
    Regardless of how nice either instrument is, we've all been taught to expect greater quality in the vintage stuff. The truth is, you stand a better chance of finding all the qualities you need in a new guitar, than one that's been who knows where, and in who's hands, for the last 60 years.
    Happy hunting.

(ps: I do have great respect the vintage instruments. But, time has not always been kind to all of them.)

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Meister

I've only ever had two new guitars...and now they are >45 years old.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

No questions here

6. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

My experience also I just sold the final few from when that was a thing for me. I have had two or three that were exceptional, but most needed a good bit of work and were average at best, these were from well known makers and were clunkers. If I had the time I would have parted them. A good one can be something though, I still think of that LP/ SG Jr. that was just out of reach, that was a seriously good guitar. Never found a RI that was that light and resonate, it was straight and all most affordable due to a spin W/ Grovers, the original s were back on and the balance was great, most
    “ players” are not so lucky.

7. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

My friend's name is Harold, and growing up, everyone called him "Harry." Now that he's older, only his wife knows if he's still hairy.

Mosstone and EsquireBoy like this.
  8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Thank you.

Marty was buying those Nudie suits and other memorabilia when nobody else wanted any of this stuff. Saved things from being destroyed. I want to thank Marty for being there and rescuing things and being solid enough that people felt comfortable they could turn a guitar over to him and he'd take good care of it. And it seemed like he was younger than everyone else and seemed likely to survive many of us.

9. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

My oldest is guitar is a 1959 Guild and it is nice. My Les Paul will be old for someone else I suppose. Most of my guitars are around 20 years old now.

10. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Holic

Looking at Marty Stuart and all he has done , what he still does , and how long he has been doing it for,

i am going to take his word for it!

and in my opinion a artist of the caliber of Marty Stuart doesnt do what he does because of monetary reasons.

those teles are the tools and he's the craftsman

nojazzhere, vgallagher and Owenmoney like this.
  11. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Those great guitars from back in the day were great guitars the day they were made. Same as the great guitars of today.

Chip and Owenmoney like this.
  12. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

In the ballpark?? ya sure would... but of course.. you would hit the nail on the head if ya thought you would do so.... :p

Most of this "stuff" is all in the head... If someone was standing in front of you and playing a vintage guitar and a modern duplicate, and you were told which was which, you would hear the difference every time.. However.. were you blindfolded... nada chance of getting it right every time...

and remember there are virtually NO vintage guitars that have not been "molested" time and time again by good intentioned techs and pseudo techs over the years... and if the vintage guitar is in the hands of the "A" lister, it's probably a composite of different vintage parts several times over...

r

13. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

I agree with Marty...new production guitars just don't have what the old ones have. The sustain, tone & touch sensitivity just ain't there with new guitars. They sound good in their own right, they are what they are, but they will never sound or feel the way vintage fiddles do. You don't hafta fight them for tone like you do with new horns.
    Now...I hate Les Pauls. Never liked 'em. Buddy of mine brought his '76 down to a gig for me to try out. I played it on 1 set, & the damn thing practically played itself; everything I played came out; the touch sensitivity was phenominal. It made me actually WANT a Paul, but only THAT Paul. Wouldna happened with a new one, I can tell you THAT!

14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If Joe Bonamassa hasn’t been able to write off a large portion of his vintage purchases over the last decade ?

He’s got the wrong accountant.

A large portion of the yayhoos who go to see him definitely want to see an actual 1959 Les Paul Std played and not a custom shop reissue.

stevemc and P Thought like this.
  15. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

This is pretty much in agreement with what my guitar tech said!

I'm nodding from where I am sitting..

16. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Even geniuses can talk BS.

notmyusualuserid likes this.
  17. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

Yawn. You mean to tell me that Leo learned more in 2 years on how to use the 3 wires in a telecaster to make it sound good, than engineers in the next 60 years.
    OK.

Bones likes this.
  18. Bedder18

Bedder18 TDPRI Member

Sometimes I see a beautiful young woman and I’m tempted to take her home and play her, but when I compare her to my old relic wife made in the 1950’s- no comparison! I’m divorced and loving it.

I have great admiration for those early Casters, but when I remove that bias from my mind, I’m left admitting that they don’t really inspire my art (as a musician) any more than a new guitar. I’d rather PLAY a guitar with the nut, profile, frets, spacing, and pickups that fit ME the best.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    JL_LI and bloomz like this.
  19. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

Diff strokes for diff folks tho I dig older guitars and amps, NOS tubes.... etc... I've owned heaps over the years and to my ears they do sound superior. All in the head, perhaps tho I don't believe so. Not to say there isn't new gear that is good/great tho I can think of more vintage items that sounds SO MUCH better than modern versions... e.g Seth Lover designed Fender Hum buckers found on Tele Customs, Deluxes, and Thinlines, Vintage ProCo Rats, Leo-era G&L MFD pickups, 50's to early 60's Fender pickups.... re the latter, I found a set a 1960 strat pickups installed in a refin '75 strat in a pawnshop - they sounded better than any aftermarket pickups I'd played or heard. A buddy scored a '61 Strat a few years earlier, again, it sounded sublime. We owned vintage reissues Fenders as well at the time, no comparison, not even close re the sound and the feel. IME, most folks that pooh pooh vintage gear, usually haven't owned much or any of it.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    StrangerNY likes this.
  20. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

Two things:

The 50’s guitar (from the OP) that’s still on stage has to be great guitar, because a guitar doesn’t get 50 years of playing if it isn’t great. There is no test that beats the test of time. But it is not great because it is old, it was a great guitar since day one (or day two when it got that setup or other modification), it just became better. But the other side of the story is that after years of playing a unique and vintage instrument the player got used to it, including what others may see as defects.

There is something special about vintage gear. Not for everyone. But for me yes, I like old things, I like patina, I like to see the way things were made. For example I like vintage cameras. Hold a 1950’s Leica M3, there is not many thing made today that come close (the 50’s really had something special going on it seems). The old camera doesn’t take better pictures would you say? Of course not, however it makes me enjoy it more, and in the end I make better pictures.

Now, say you buy a new guitar and it’s perfect? Just play it for 30 years and it becomes vintage and everyone is happy! :)

nojazzhere and Chip like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.