The Acid Test - new guitars vs vintage according to Marty Stuart

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rze99, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

It's just a thinly veiled brag .. Hey Guys! I got a '52 and '54 tele (followed by kissing his middle finger)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Slap Axe and notmyusualuserid like this.
  2. Mosstone

Mosstone Tele-Meister

My roommate's given name is also "Larry". I called him Lawrence once and he said "that's not my name". He has German last name, so I thought "Larry" was short for something German, but nope... His parents named him "Larry".

In regards to new vs vintage; everybody knows that older guitars have more mojochlorians than brand new guitars. I'm building a mojo detector to prove it!

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

It doesn't mean Jock Sheet until Mr. Marty can identify the 50s guitar blindfolded against a new one in almost all cases. Until then it is confirmation bias.

4. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

I loves me some Marty Stuart, but all I got is to shrug and say “easy for him to say.” It’s pretty much a no-brainer to suggest that he would sound far better on my ‘65 Danelectro through my Micro Terror than I would using my choice of his gear.

P Thought likes this.
  5. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I'd be interested to know Marty's honest take on the Clarence-ish guitar that RS Guitarworks built for him (along with the silver sparkle models that Kenny and Paul played on the show).

[​IMG]

6. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

My take on his comment is that he wants to keep the value of vintage instruments high. One day he'll retire and want to sell them.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Clarence White was playing the '54 when it was 15 years old and it sounded great then.

hdvades, StrangerNY, drf64 and 6 others like this.
  8. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Due to a unforeseen life event I will be playing a $15 thrift store S-type thru a $25 PV for the foreseeable future. I'm pretty sure I will be OK.. I bet MS could make that work if he was in a similar situation.

9. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

He can afford to say that. He probably bought both for a song. I have heard him live & both guitars sound fantastic. But, it's the player, I would say.

He doesn't care much for Fender RI amps as opposed to vintage. That I would agree more.

10. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

I sort of understand how he feels. I had to start playing a 2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster recently when my 2015 Squier Affinity Telecaster started sounding “old” to me.

kuvash and RetroTeleRod like this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Uh yeah, that's right, right on, factual even.

What is confirmations biasing El Jeffe?

kuvash and nojazzhere like this.
  12. Toto'sDad

That thing is actually two guitars sandwiched together for the string pull. Which one is making that contraption sound good? Do you have to have two Teles to make a right? Marty once said it's the spring that sounds different in all the ones he had made that were supposed to be duplicates, maybe it's not the guitar at all. In fact it might be like the strap button that makes 'em sound good, or a decal who knows.

EsquireBoy, nojazzhere and beyer160 like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

I don't know about Wikipedia, but that's what the band said about Kenny playing it down at the Crystal Palace. I don't know if you would be able to identify it though, cause old Kenny damned near burnt that thing to the ground his playing was so hot that night. If you ain't ever seen Kenny with the muzzle off of him, you ain't seen a county guitar player gone wild.

14. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

okay, let me ask this question as Im truly wondering..

if vintage guitars is a combination of really old wood, demagnetized pickups, and all...

If I buy a @Ronkirn Barnbuster which is also really old wood, buy demagnetized pickups to simulate weakening of magnets on a 50-60 year old guitar.. would I get into the ball park??

I know, theres charm in vintage guitars.. but yeah, Im just rambling..

stinkey, kuvash and Slap Axe like this.
  15. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Used to, players swapped guitars, till they found another one that was better, and swapped again, and so on. What was left, was the best of the best, if you knew how to discriminate. That's the pedigree of owning a guitar from a highly selective, highly active musician, or two musicians.

I'd expect Clarence to have located and kept a great, stand-out honey box guitar. I'd expect Marty to also do the same. There are also duds from the same years, with the same pedigree and therefore collectors want to cash in on that. Its a common occurance in the flattop world, banjo world, lots of instrument worlds. Not all 30's Herringbones are great guitars when you compare them to modern builds - but a few still stand out and seem to be unreplicable.

16. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

52 and 54? That's cute, Marty. My 35 L-12 thinks your guitars are pretty new.

kuvash, rze99 and StrangerNY like this.
  17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

he paid $1400 to CW’s widow for “Clarence” if I remember correctly

18. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

"Sorry you can't afford this." - Marty Stuart

Chick-N-Picker and Slap Axe like this.
  19. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

And, I think the '54 Strat that was the source of the cannibalized neck pickup in Clarence was also part of the deal...and I think it may have actually been only $1,200. Not a bad deal, at all.

20. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

More guitar borrocks from people who should know better :rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.