The accuracy of Ancestry DNA testing

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, Nov 8, 2018.

1. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think spit tests are all that accurate and they might not even have that big of a database to compare with less of a chance of errors.

You cannot even test for parents/children by spit.

2. radiocaster

Did you submit any family history to them?

3. birddog01

birddog01 Tele-Afflicted

Nobody getting mine unless I have no choice.
    So I'm pretty sure mine will stay out of a database.

SPUDCASTER likes this.
  4. radiocaster

double poast

5. B Valley

B Valley Tele-Afflicted

Prior to your DNA submission you don't provide any information beyond your name. After you have your DNA tested you can populate your family tree and allow other family members to add to it or suggest additions. My grandfather had changed his name around 1930, so DNA matches helped to find extended family who still use the original family name.

6. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

yup. my son did it and when we looked at it.. we were all like 'ahhh' cool. That made a BUNCH of people in my extended family do it.... with two different firms and, like you, it aligned.

7. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

umm, is your uncle kinda dumb as well ?

src9000 likes this.
  8. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

What's the difference between Ancestry.com and National Geographic's Geno 2.0 DNA testing?

9. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

Most people can’t name a great grandparent much less know anything about their life. But now they have to know what continent they possibly had ancestors.

Try asking your parents about their life, you’ll end up with much more than a chart listing your 1.8% American Indian lineage.

10. getbent

All great suggestions so long as your parents are alive, you know your parents, your parents are the types that will tell you or remember and don't make stuff up to try to gliss over some rough stretches.... my wife is adopted so, your advice is completely blind to her situation. My stepfather never knew his parents, in my family there were so many mysteries and secrets, it was hard to know the truth.... so... you assume so much about other people that you have no real evidence to support AND then you give a suggestion that for many of us is an impossibility.

Why would you limit people's options to know more about their history and ancestry? Why the fear? I read the naysay posts by people and just kind of shrug... most don't use the system, don't actually know anyone directly who did and rely on all the reasons that it won't work... except... like mp3's and the internet and backup cameras and cellphones and.... most people see the value immediately and WANT to contribute to more people knowing more the most efficient way possible.

Harry Styron likes this.
  11. Rjelecaster

Rjelecaster Tele-Meister

I think I read it somewhere that the variation in the genome of a group of chimpanzees would be larger than that within the whole human population.

12. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I need to go buy some ALCOA stock.

13. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

Never suggested limiting, never suggested fear, never naysayed(is that an actual spelling?).

I believe what I wrote is suggestion there are additional ways to have an understanding about family history for many people, myself included. All of the things I mentioned I am personally deficient in.

I read a biography of a Somali person where their culture could name many generations of ancestors through the family tree, including geographic and socioeconomic. It is important to them from way back. My context is this ancestory doesn't seem important in a real live sense even for people who don't have the limitations shared. My assumption is majority of people through history have known their parents, most have known some grandparents, and a few have known great grandparents. Yet very little family history is shared even in the most conventional family lines. I sit around and wonder why this is, if the knowledge of this history seems so very important now that we can lick a stick and provide a CC#.

My appologies for joining topics in which I'm clearly not an expert.

14. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire

Now the government is using these sites to track down criminals through relatives DNA.

Hopefully it deters criminal activity. Maybe there might be a positive about it. Besides a database for Big Brother to filter through.

I, however, am not going to participate in any of these services.

15. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

16. getbent

thanks for the suggestions! I would NEVER have thought to ask my own family for their memories and thoughts! That is a GREAT suggestion!

17. cooltouch

cooltouch TDPRI Member

I've done the genealogy on both sides of my family. On my father's side, I can trace ancestry back to the 1500s Scotland, and many of the wives of my forefathers and their families. On my mother's side, it's simpler. Her grandparents on both sides immigrated here from Germany and both families have lived there forever.

So for me, doing the DNA thing would be little more than idle curiosity and most likely a waste of money. I would be really surprised if it turned up something outside of what I already know and I would be very suspect of the test if it did.

18. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

My ancestors are so hard to find, they must have been in a witness protection program!

24 track likes this.
  19. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

that is untill you win the lottery! , then 1/2 the planet will line up to match your DNA

Shuster likes this.
  20. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Had a friend that did it, but gave no back round info. Results came back - no results. Did the same again - same result. That doesn't seem very legit. You would think at least a nationality could be obtained.

Privacy wise it can be argued law enforcement can check samples on these sites with out a warrant, since it was given freely. Not that I have anything to hide, but that's a little to big brother.

24 track likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.