the ability to make music during these dark times....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by doctorunderhill, Apr 5, 2020.

1. doctorunderhill

doctorunderhill Tele-Meister

will save many souls from going over the edge. I am spending much more time with all my instruments- acoustic and electric- and even though I suffer from severe depression it has been one of the few bright spots.
    in fact I am recording virtually all my playing, even my just noodling around- sort of a sonic diary- and when (and if) I make it all the way through this i'll set the recordings back as a "plague time capsule" that in a year's time I will break back out and see just what I was thinking/feeling/and playing during these strange, strange days.

stay safe-stay strong. and keep on playing

2. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I applaud your effort.
    As for me, I have been deemed an essential so, off to work I go during the day.

Sadly, folks all over are going bonkers being kept away from those we draw our strength from.

My Music, without an Audience from which to stoke my EGO, has become a sticking point.
    I need to practice, my skills, especially my Picking Hand, are getting rather Lame.

I just have to remind myself that things will get better.
    I have to keep my Mind Right.
    Easier said, than done.

telestratosonic and Jim622 like this.
  3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm "essential" as well, but I've been playing a lot more than normal over the past month. It's not uncommon for me to plop down on the couch after work and just noodle aimlessly for three or four hours. Then I go to bed with a clear mind.

telestratosonic and Jim622 like this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Alas, I am utterly non-essential, but I still make music all the time.
    It’s been my refuge since I was a child.
    I’m so grateful to my parents for nurturing it in me.
    I’m also grateful for the people I make music with, and for.
    It’s my best thing.

5. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic

As the great philosopher Jim Bronson once said: "Hang in there."

[​IMG]

telestratosonic likes this.
  6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Things have been so slow around the home twenty I even took up with my nemesis the AV 72 TC a time or two. Since it hadn't had a setup recently, I gave it another one, it didn't need it, but that's just what I do. Then fiddled around with the DRRI, polished and cleaned the 72 to boot. I actually got around to playing it and found that a very long layoff made little to no difference in my playing skills, they still sucked only I had something to blame it on.

It has slowly been sinking into my head, that I may never play golf again. Those courses that remain, will take a long time to recover, there may be little interest by the time it has all run its course, and I may have lost my skills at golf to the point, it would be entirely useless to pursue. The last game I played with my old buddies, I knew might be our last, and I tried to hold it in my memory. My wife was injured before things shut down, now I don't know if we, the two of us will ever have a chance to play now that she is well.

My old golfing buddy called a few days ago, and asked if I would play with group the day before Easter. I thought it over, and decided against it. I hope there is a better day on the horizon.

7. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

Doing exactly the same here doc! Recording my stuff for posterity's sake. I've probably recorded 20 John Prine songs in the past couple of weeks, and many more.

telestratosonic and howardlo like this.
  8. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

Recording a lot and doing some virtual open mic events with Zoom app.

9. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

I am stuck away from my wife and kids due to border closures and having to still work as normal, albeit remotely.

I'm playing a lot more than normal however... Really considering buying a usb interface and mic to record my playing for the future.

It's something I've always meant to do, so maybe now is the time...

10. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

FWIW, I am having reasonably good success hooking up with bandmates over the past two days via JamKazam. No noticeable latency among four in a session, although we are all local.
    It was a rough start a week ago but since then, the JK software folks have been upping the game -- two updates in as many days, and now an active forum and (finally) help files!
    You really do need a decent ethernet connection with at least a Cat 5e cable for it -- forget WiFi...

11. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Meister

I am on lockdown at my sister's house. She, her husband, and I rarely leave the house. This means I cannot play guitar at the volumes to which I have become accustomed. I am very sad.

12. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Doctorunderhill... I have no idea of your musical/production capabilities.... But this could be an opportunity, even if just for personal listening, for making a modern War of the Worlds classic.... Keep safe, keep distance, keep strong....

telestratosonic and JL_LI like this.
  13. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I’m essential, at least in the eyes of my employer. I have no hands on work on our scientific instruments for the time being, but I’m in engineering management working from home on improving process and improving the way we keep system integration, customer support, and service records. I’m also trying to streamline report writing for field service engineers. Not much has changed guitar wise except that I can plug in at lunch time. Evenings, I’ve been relearning songs I played in coffee houses when I was in college. My employer hasn’t laid off or furloughed anyone, even hourly employees who have nothing they can contribute from home. I hope everyone here is as fortunate.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    telestratosonic, Obsessed and 41144 like this.
  14. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

JL_Li....
    Good to hear that your Co. is taking care of its folk..

We hear over here NY and Cal are being hit particularly hard whilst some parts of the US are "currently" barely aware! :oops:

15. doctorunderhill

doctorunderhill Tele-Meister

there is a world of hurt going down everywhere. but NY and Cal's share in the suffering is Biblical- I am personally an atheist, but raised old school Presbyterian- and i'm talking old testament suffering. we know not what the future holds- what we thought was normal is gone. and in it's place is uncertainty on a scale even our parents did not experience.
    i'll just end saying to NY and Cal that you were, and are in the thoughts of all compassionate people. as are all who are suffering.

41144 and telestratosonic like this.
  16. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

we are all essential

when quarantined, what do we turn to?

books, music, conversation

the arts

telestratosonic and unfamous like this.
  17. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

IMG_6794.JPG

18. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

5 songs done since lockdown , 6th in Reaper - drums done

19. dcos

dcos Tele-Meister

I retired last December so the quarantine has not changed my playing time. However, my wife's travel business is closed down, so I'm teaching her some guitar. She sang in my band for ten years but didn't play an instrument, so we're taking advantage of this time and it's pretty cool. She's learning pretty quickly, we'll be posting some facebook vids soon.

telestratosonic and Toadtele like this.
  20. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

good job on recording yourself... make sure to listen back... I think re hearing things a few times is a great way to really know who you sound like and what you sound like....

telestratosonic and Skully like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.