The '80's Weren't So Bad After All

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Paul in Colorado, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i go crazy when people say they love or hate the 80s music

phil collins
    madonna
    hall and oates

that stuff is what they think of

i think of
    the cure
    the clash
    depeche mode
    rem
    echo and the bunnymen

there was to me so much awesome in the 80s verses the cheese most people think of

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I used to put 80s music in the "guilty pleasure" pile. It was the music of part of my youth. So I believed the hype that it was crap music and I was just too young to know better.

Then I helped form an 80s cover band as a second project. And came to the camp that says there were a lot of really well-crafted songs. Some great hooks.

Even things like 867-5390, Hungry Like the Wolf or Pretty in Pink have some great, great hooks and riffs to them. Excellent guitar music. And they come alive, well, played live. Part of the problem is that some of the lyrics are trite; maybe moreso than other eras. Though, have you ever really listened to the lyrics of classics from the serious masters of the "60s" - I mean, "You Ain't Going Nowhere"? Great, great song, but still.

And like any other era, there's a huge pile of junk in the 80s too, but that's certainly not unique to the 80s.

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

aHEM. It's OH-nine. NOT nine-oh. :lol: :)

4. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

The 80s are my favorite along with late 50s early 60s for music.

The 80s were the most progressive time for form (new technology and new approaches to arrangement ) in popular music.

Everyone started using synths and drum machines and working in the studio. Melodies were necesarry and things had to make you wanna dance!

80s = my fave.

50s and 60s were when what I'd call the most "genuine" american pop music emerged. The archetype of what became soul/funk/jazz/hiphop/punk/ska/r and b etc came out of the popular artists of the late 50s and early 60s.

Probably not too many on here that agree with me.

5. MilwMark

Darn iPhone!

6. bobsway

bobsway Tele-Afflicted

Awesome-ness and crap certainly co-existed in that decade (like in many others).
    Worst part was towards the end with all the cheesy hair metal, Cinderella etc.

7. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

The eighties. Not a guitar in sight...

8. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

I was born in 79 so most of my 80's memories involve cartoons. There's the nagging thing of the skinny jeans that's returned. I hated it when I was a kid because they we're all my folks could get me and now I hate them again :)

9. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

You pretty much listed all the bands I look back fondly at when I think of the 80s.

10. MilwMark

We do Don't You Want Me Baby. With 3 guitars and no keys. People go nuts for it. It's a fun song to play on guitar.

11. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

The eighties get a bad rap but they were a fun decade ('79 to '86), a kind of innocent decadence.

Slap me on the patio, I'll take it now

I think pretty much every track on that record works very well in a guitar based outfit. They are just great pop songs, big choruses and hooks.

12. TeleKineses

TeleKineses Tele-Meister

Yes, yes it was just as bad as you originally thought.

13. shovelrider

shovelrider Tele-Afflicted

I think there was tons of great music that came out of the '80s. Now, the clothes on the other hand were a whole different story.

14. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Cinderella was a lot better than a lot of that hairband schlock. Certainly they were a far cut above this (which is still "fun" and all, but yeah, it's crap :D)

15. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Some great stuff and not so great stuff in the 80's.

16. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I was 18 in 1980. I give credit to all those Slash bands for rescuing the decade for me: Los Lobos, The Blasters, X, etc.

17. Norma

Norma TDPRI Member

Blowtorch nailed it - VH (IMO, you can't find much better music than the stuff on Fair Warning - except the stuff on VH1 and VH2 which were late 70's)

Could almost stop there but The Cult, the Crue, GnR, AC/DC, Black Crowes are all still good (at least most of their 80's offerings are). Other ones that I think are more nostalgic but I still like (some of): the Cars, Pat Benatar, Heart, Cheap Trick, Joan Jett, Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams, Sister Hazel, the Firm....

Oh yeah, and lots of and synthie crap. Even some of my favorite bands including some of the above did (bad) experiments: ZZ Top, Aerosmith slacked up on guitars, .38 Special went pop/ballad and Jefferson Airplane, well, nevermind, we already did that thread.

18. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Right on.

19. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Man, I love tons of 80's music. There has been some great stuff listed already.

In the 80's I discovered punk through the Ramones and the Clash, which led me to Social Distortion and Suicidal Tendencies. Smiths, Cure, And Echo all had great guitar playing. New order has some nice guitar if you listen close enough, as does Depeche Mode.

We followed the girls to the dance clubs and heard stuff like Front 242, A Split Second, Ministry, MLC, etc.

Crowded House, the Church, Gene Loves Jezebel, The Psychedelic Furs, I could go on. I have not even touched on rap, metal or country.

20. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

:lol:

Now that you guys mention it, there was good stuff that I've forgotten or I don't think of as '80's music. Those pop ballads with the juicey guitar solos and synth noises are what I think of as '80's music. A week or so ago the '80's DJ played an all female vocalist night and there were lots of good songs.

And Skully, good video!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.