The ‘King of Slow’: Remembering Guitarist James Calvin Wilsey

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by CharlieO, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I was pretty sure I had that exchange with you about my discomfort and concern, but I couldn't (and still can't) find it in my TDPRI message history.

A lot of my memories of Bay Area shows from my concert going era there (roughly '82 to '86) run together. Almost all the clubs shows I went to were either at The Stone in San Francisco or the Berkeley Square in Berkeley. Yanks (which formed out of the ashes of SVT) seemed to always be the opening act and Cyril Jordan of the Flamin' Groovies (and one time singer Roy Loney) would inevitably show up with his plexiglass guitar and sit in on the encore.

By the time I was going to shows, the Mab seemed to be dead, but I'm sure there were a lot of acts who went on to bigger things that gigged there during my time.

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

It was. The experience you had was troubling (part of why I remember it) I just looked back through my messages... I think maybe it was email... but, man, I just spent 20 minutes reading messages from long ago.... a great one from John Stannard and Bob Davis and Terry Downs and some others and a couple from moderating days... it is storming hard here today... the rain she is coming on down.

3. voodoostation

voodoostation Friend of Leo's

I hear you, GB. We've had some pretty unforgettable folks pass through here, famous, infamous and famous in their own right.

boris bubbanov, jhundt and getbent like this.
  4. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

ha ha - I must have known you then!Ralph did the nut and frets on my Strat; and we used to waste every afternoon at Manuel's.

getbent likes this.
  5. jhundt

we practically lived at the B-square. That was the only club in the whole Bay Area that would give us a gig after a round of particularly bad press!

getbent likes this.
  6. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Awesome stories guys. Love hearing this back story of you all. :)

7. CancerLeoCam

CancerLeoCam Friend of Leo's

I’m reposting this from another post NYE...

“I became a Silvertone fan in the 80’s and was inspired by Jimmy to pick up the guitar and learn to play it. Over the years, I worked and rebuilt his Twin Reverb amp in 2005. I credit Jimmy for that opportunity to springboard into building tube amps (Gomez Amps, LLC). I remember driving up to Eagle Rock to hang out, talk and learn from Jimmy. He was kind, patient and funny. I regret being a pain in the ass at times with him but he was genuinely forgiving and I thank him for that.

My personal music I wrote was highly influenced by Jimmy and I can only hope he heard more before he passed. He helped me with the technical stuff in recording and guided me in the right direction that I have always appreciated.

I miss my friend. I’m sorry I wasn’t a better friend at times. I’ll live with that regret but I can honestly say that my heart was always in the right place with Jimmy. I’m sorry it didn’t come out right. He was and I will always consider him a brother.

My condolences to all his fans, friends, and his family. He was a true artist and no one can ever replace him. L8r g8r R.I.P. Jimmy

Dario G. Gomez
    (Gomez Amps, LLC)”

8. jhundt

a sweet and fitting tribute. Thank you for posting it. I laughed when I got my copy of El Dorado from the King of Slow. Great name for a guy who played it the way he felt it.

voodoostation and CancerLeoCam like this.
  9. CancerLeoCam

I would add, I have had a VERY difficult time listening to El Dorado and any of Jimmy's music as of late bc I starting sobbing immediately. During the summer years ago, I would drive up there and Jimmy would share a bunch of things he was working on, new software patches, the contrast and comparisons with his acoustic guitars, etc. The last time we spent any time together, it was 2014, I drove him to his doctor in Pasadena/Glendale as he had horrific ascites (fluid retention distending his abdomen) as a consequence of the failing liver. The rest of him was really thin. His tongue was dry as he was not allowed to drink water because of the fluid retention. I nearly cried when he opened the door. After the Dr. visit, I took him to lunch and fed him. He was really happy I was helping him and I'm grateful I could do that for him.

Had I been in a better place myself, I would have taken him in and helped get him situated. I ended up homeless in 2016 myself so I lost touch with many. I'm better now though I'm struggling. I'm in nursing school and working as a PCT with cancer patients. I am holding on. My friends here and elsewhere, and my mother pulled me off the street for which I am eternally grateful. I wish I could have been there for Jimmy. I retained all our emails that we had and I reviewed a few the other day.

I always hoped he thought of me as a little brother bc to me he was my older brother. I would have never made my music like I did nor recorded it without his help. I started playing guitar bc of him.

He mentioned how things were strained at home, yet Jimmy was determined regarding the album..

"I do appreciate all you've said and done much more than you know. There's a good chance I would never have done this thing if it weren't for you.
    So it's your own damn fault!!
    (Insert smiley emoticon here)
    Later- Jc"

I will always have a gaping hole in my heart with him gone. I wish I had the chance to tell him everything I felt about him without being overly emotional. I always believed in him and his talent. My original handle here and elsewhere back in the early 2000's was JWLives.

My sage summary...Please don't hold back in letting your loved ones know how you feel about them. I thought Jimmy would still be around and I could come back around once I was back on my feet. Doesn't matter now. It's too late and I have nothing but tears.

Dario

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Mad Kiwi and Stratohacker like this.
  10. CancerLeoCam

11. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Really touching CancerLeoCam. Hopefully you can use this for extra motivation and strength to push through the tough times life tends to randomly throw (and you sadly experienced already).

I just lost a friend to a crazy disease that took him out in 3 months from go to whoa. He also was a bit like an older brother to me at a few times in my life.

So what you say resonates with me.

All the best from down in New Zealand.

CancerLeoCam likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.