1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

THD Univalve

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by geddyleedog, Apr 13, 2003.

1. geddyleedog

geddyleedog Tele-Holic

Anyone own a THD Univalve. How is it? Is there enough power to gig with?

2. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I just had one.

IMO it's a VERY tasty tube amp, and built like a Sherman tank - some really great tones and LOTS of room for tweaking.

[​IMG]

Running the UV with a KT88 or 6550 valve, and with a 2x12 cab loaded with *good* speakers, it'd work at *small* venue blues gigs ... I specify "blues" gigs because cranked, a KT88/6550 UV will put out a healthy 15-17 fairly loud watts - but it will NOT have any clean headroom.

3. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

Love mine!

But - this amp is about harmonically complex distortion! (think "mean little marshall") Getting clean tones from it is difficult if turned up to gig volume. So, the answer to the gigability question really depends on the kind of music you'd play.

4. Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme TDPRI Member

Overall, I really like mine. It is a bright amp, though. Tube choice and speakers make a pretty big difference.

As for gigs....it sorta depends on what you're doing. I recently took mine to a jam with a friend, and I ran the UV with a 6V6 (about 7 watts), and he ran a 50 watt tube head. At the volumes we typically play at, I was able to get "almost" clean tones, and keep up with him. I think with proper tube choice, it would work with a lower volume band/club.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.