"That's not a knoife..."

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Sep 2, 2015.

1. wutmornin

wutmornin Tele-Holic

Past Gerber blade employee, current toolmaker and experienced cutter grinder with a working knowledge of metallurgy and heat treating here........A knife is a knife is a knife.

If there was one best steel, they would all be made of the same steel, right? Everything is a compromise, hardness vs. sharpenability, high strength and resistance to dulling vs. toughness and resistance to shattering, with every specific need having one shape and material that best suits that need but fails elsewhere.

My knifes are soft steel basic folders that snap in sturdily and don't wobble at the joint. I can sharpen them quickly, on a brick if I have too, and they won't snap if I try to pry open a paint can with them.

Some people have a need to own a blade they can use with pride. Nothing against that, I have expensive tools that do nothing better than the cheaper tools except hold their value and give me a pride of ownership. Thats why Fender makes deluxe editions and standards and mexican mades and some people just settle for a squire that sounds great.

Those fancy swords just aint my cup of tea, enjoy!

And before anyone starts in about certain makers with proprietary steels that surpass all others.....Okay, there are some better than others, some a lot better than others, and I wish I could afford them or had the skill to make them myself. Not practical when all i need to do is slash a zombie now and then.

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

wutmornin, right. My oldest son was telling me over the weekend about an obsidian blade that could be sharpened to an incredible edge, and I was saying, yeah, ok, but you drop it and it shatters and then what?

Also I agree about fancy vs gets the job done. As I stated early in this thread, the 99 cent folder that hangs on my keychain does all that most guys today could ever ask of a blade, for daily practical tasks. But a lot of this stuff is just for fun.

(BTW, Gerber is good stuff, not that you need to hear that from me. My folks have had a Gerber set of steak Knives since they got married. I've had a few Gerber bootknives/daggers that kind of thing, when I was a lot younger)

3. wutmornin

wutmornin Tele-Holic

that obsidian is truly an amazing edge, it naturally chips away in flakes with what a minerologist calls a conchoidal fracture that is the natural equivalent of what a knifemaker calls hollow grinding. It would make a great scalpel, it has an edge that has a true primary included angle.

but I don't need an obsidian letter opener.

4. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Next I suppose you'll be telling us there's none of this going on either!

Attached Files:

5. hazcat

hazcat Tele-Meister

I can't but think that wutmornin has it dead right, but I ordered a Roselli hunter from Finland last night anyway. No, I don't need another knife, but I'm pretty fond of Rosellis.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.