That's it, I've had it...

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by ItchyFingers, Jan 24, 2014.

1. WebGringo

WebGringo TDPRI Member

What about using a LP jack plate ?

Yea, it is 4 screws instead of 2, but one of those wont fall of, and it will work for a L shaped tele plug as well

2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Been done many times. The down side of it is the screw holes are there for all to see forever. An electrosocket could probably be put in a blackguard without altering its value.
    I was recently looking at a '67 Tele. Nice guitar and the price was right...I just couldn't get past the LP jack plate. Deal breaker, for me.

3. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

Too easy. Thanks. I don't know if Grolsch is available here but I have quite a selection of rubber washers. Thank you sir. Heading out to the shed for some washers.

4. ItchyFingers

Done deal. I am a happy camper now. I doubt I'll sell any of these. They are keepers and daily players so the value is not an issue. 2 of Them started out as cheap basket cases. 4 good reliable players now. :). At best I will give them away when the time comes. I have given a few to kids now. 3 day delivery at a cost of about $10 per guitar tax and shipping all in and 15 minutes work a piece. I am retired so I have 24 hrs a day to do what makes ME happy. I had to solder one new jack in due to thread mismatch but pffft minor detail. My aplogies for getting snarky. Quitting smoking here grrrrr LOL. Day 4. I even left a foot of snow on the lane so I won't go buy more. Do I go out to get my weekly lotto ticket tomorrow or stay home and grin and bear it?

[​IMG]

5. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

If it is broke, get an electrosocket.

6. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

I've been playing Telecasters since 1975. I've had three different ones -a 1975 Custom, a 1966, and a 1998 Nashville. I've never had a loose output jack.

7. ItchyFingers

The only new tele I ever had, I built from scratch with an electrosocket decided on from reading posts in here. 2/3 of the rest all had been loose at one time or another. I believe I have had 6 so far. If I recall my '04 MIM never came loose, nor did my Squier Affinity. Sadly I had to sell those a year or so ago. I had one with wiring that looked like a curly snake. One had no output within 10 minutes of the time I got it home (the curly snake). That one had an external 2 screw mount in chrome. As I suspected when I took it apart today, the internal star washer I put in the last time I took it off to tighten didn't even mark the chrome, hence no bite, no hold. It looked like it had at least 50 turns of the jack by the look of the wiring.
    Judging by the dents in the frets before I leveled and crowned it, it was well used as were all the others except my near new CV thinline which was loose. That one had never been apart and not a mark or wear anywhere. The cup was well in there on it.
    If I bought a brand new Tele, the way I treat them, I doubt they would ever come loose. The cable never gets any pressure on it while playing kicked back on the couch.
    Thanks for all the responses. I'm quite pleased with the results. I jotted down that allparts jack # as well. I have a few more T-styles to build before I am done and will probably go that route when I do. I miss the angled cable I tossed away long ago in anger. I've got tons of straight cables and although I know there are longer angled ones out there and if it ever comes to the top of my priority list, I'll get one of those too.
    For now..it's all good.

8. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

as bad as the tele jack is... it could be worse...

there's the p-bass jack. you have to remove the whole damn pickguard to tighten it, and it has a nasty habit of cracking the pickguard or stripping the pickguard screws when you unplug it. eww.

then there's my favorite, the fender cabinet jack. a sloppy, loose tele jack that'll short out your head if you're not careful. i've got one on a 70's bassman cab that's never given me an issue... but i threaten to replace it with an electrosocket if it acts up. seems to do the trick haha

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.