1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

That Was No Earthquake, It Was James Wilsey!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Twangmeister, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Twangmeister

Twangmeister Tele-Afflicted

DATELINE, HOLLYWOOD, CA: Car alarms went off, dogs howled, and spouses jumped back into bed with each other last night in glamorous Hollywood, CA as James Calvin Wilsey, a/k/a WickedGTR, brought his earthshaking instrumentals to a standing-room crowd of devout followers at Safari Sam’s on Sunset. Celebrating the release of his all-instrumental CD, El Dorado,, Wilsey demonstrated time and again why he has no equal when it comes to creating sensuous soundscapes of Saturnian sultriness squeezed from a sparkly Strat (or Tele, or Danaelectro baritone). After an early skirmish with a petulant Quad Reverb, the sartorially splendiferous six-stringer rebounded with a scintillating set of superb melodies that shook the east Hollywood neighborhood (and several womens’ souls) to their very roots. Run, don’t walk, to your nearest digital emporium and purchase Mr. Wilsey’s El Dorado today. But be sure to alert your local authorities first!

gwjensen likes this.
  2. cacibi

cacibi Friend of Leo's

Doesn't seem to up on iTunes yet.

3. Ron Garson

Ron Garson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thank you for your rapturous review! :)

4. ibobunot

ibobunot Poster Extraordinaire

Nope, it must be a Amazon dot com exclusive.... :neutral:

5. Filthy McNasty

Filthy McNasty Tele-Holic

The Brown truck delivered mine today. Gonna listen to it on my way to work tonight.

6. WickedGTR

WickedGTR Friend of Leo's

Thanks Jere-

I sense the terse prose of an english major somwhere in that post...

iTunes kinda dropped the ball... after several emails with the record company they found it and it's 'in their que' and should be online in the next 24 hours....

I had a bit of a tough nite gear wise-the amp (which of course works fine this morning and at soundcheck), and I pulled the bridge anchor screws loose on my strat, and the arm is one sharp pull from breaking in the block. I thought Fenders were supposed to be tough? And then I broke 2 fingernails, and they caught the strings whenever I tried to finger pick.

But it was a blast, and thank you Jere for making it to my sleazy soiree....

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  7. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

sounds like it's about time for a Jackson with a Floyd Rose, and some Randall stacks.

8. ibobunot

ibobunot Poster Extraordinaire

It's up on iTunes now.... :cool: :cool: :cool:

9. Twangmeister

Man, I don't which to pick as a new stage name: "Sleaze E. Soiree" or "Randall Stacks." They both have a cool, Quentin Tarantino vibe about them.

The pleasure was all mine, Jimmy. You were the consummate-cool-under pressure, babe.

10. Chris_69_SS

Chris_69_SS TDPRI Member

you sir, are a cunning linguist!

11. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Friend of Leo's

This thread isn't gonna be happy that you brought it back from the dead just for that. :lol:

12. WickedGTR

WickedGTR Friend of Leo's

Here's a clip from that show. So it's worse than a total waste to bring this thread back to make a jr high school joke.

AlbertaGriff and RichCuellarPDX like this.
  13. RichCuellarPDX

RichCuellarPDX Tele-Meister

Sorry to revive this old post, but I still can't believe he's gone. I saw him play with Chris Isaak here in Portland back in the early 90s and from that moment on he was my favorite guitar player ever. RIP MR. Wilsey, you are missed.

AlbertaGriff and blowtorch like this.
  14. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I see you are new to the forum, so I'm not sure if you are aware, but the above poster WickedGTR was in fact Mr. Wilsey himself. I guess it's fairly clear from his post there.

RichCuellarPDX likes this.
  15. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Yep, I noticed that and I was always thankful that he had enough time for us. I don't mind someone bringing this back.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  16. Twangmeister

Jimmy was a unique and eccentric individual who brought untold joy to friends and fans alike through his undeniably signature approach to music and his sense of humor. Indeed, the self-proclaimed King of Slow was wicked in both his playing and his wit. Rest in Peace, amigo.

RichCuellarPDX and getbent like this.
  17. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Had not seen any Wicked GTR posts for some time, but did not realize he had passed. Those hauntingly beautiful riffs from Wicked Game are probably my all time favorites. Thank you Jimmy and RIP......

Twangmeister likes this.
  18. Just Dropped In

Just Dropped In Tele-Meister

One of the best shows I've ever seen with incredible sound was Isaak with the Silvertones (w/Wilsey) in 1987. Isaak and co. were riding high with their hit album at the time. Wilsey's sound & playing was phenomenal.

19. frisco kid

frisco kid TDPRI Member

I’m so glad this zombie thread was revived...I downloaded El Dorado a few days ago and it’s been in constant play since...the King of Slow indeed...I think “Diabolic” is my favorite track.

RIP WickedGTR

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.