1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

That time Keith Richard's hit a dude with a Telecaster Deluxe

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by CarsAndGuitarsYT, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I never tire of that clip. Long live Keith Richards.

2. burtonfan

burtonfan Tele-Afflicted

Good point!

Deathray likes this.
  3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I really don't see him hitting anyone- Mick is in the way. Just looks like they struggle over for it for a minute, then the guy is gone.
    Do I gotta do frame-by-frame?

4. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  5. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

You know I love the guy. But reality is most anyone could kick his but at any stage of his life. He's just a skinny runt.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  6. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

It was a Telecaster Custom, not a Deluxe...

Never underestimate a skinny runt, especially a pissed-off one.
    My brother underestimated me once.
    Once.

Alamo and skunqesh like this.
  7. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Afflicted

Mess with the bull get the horns or in this case just a single cut.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  8. CarsAndGuitarsYT

CarsAndGuitarsYT TDPRI Member

9. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Supposedly Pete Townshend attacked Abbie Hoffman at Woodstock, when Abbie interrupted and wouldn't get off the stage.. wish there was footage of that. Abbie said he was bumped, but Pete supposedly said get off the stage or I'll kill you.

JuneauMike likes this.
  10. deus56

deus56 Tele-Meister

Always wished there was footage of Pete Townshend knocking
    Abbie Hoffman off the stage at Woodstock.

JuneauMike likes this.
  11. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

It was the same black Fender Custom that Keith bought in San Antone in 1975.
    We originally covered that story right here on TDPRI.:cool:
    every other website or magazin updated their info or just took the whole story.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/keith-richards-guitars-amp.205796/page-3

12. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

From memory I remember that he actually paid ~$500 for the guy's bail afterwards. he said it was just after Lennon was shot, so everyone was very on edge - afterwards when he found out the guy had meant no harm he bailed him out! Class act.

13. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

14. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Keith was simply protecting Mick. Who knows what crazy folk get up too close and personal onstage.
    The security guards were slack ( Aussie for bl...y useless).

I like the fact that the telecaster was strong enough to do the job and stayed in tune. Kudos to Keith.

deus56 likes this.
  15. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

Alamo touched on the 10 year old post about Gene Warner (Lone Wolf) selling the black tele to Keith in San Antonio. GENO..if you seeing this, HELLO from Jaybird!

This was one month before I went to work there at Caldwell Music. I was the ware-houseman/shipping/ receiving and was one year out of high school. A few months later the owner, Ed Fest, literally cornered me by the entrance of the repair shop in the basement and asked me why I don't stay after work on Thursdays and let him and Gene teach me guitar repair. Without thinking I said Yes! That started my 6 month apprenticeship learning how to repair guitars. Ed Fest would repair violins, Gene would repair guitars and both of them taught me the ropes! Geez, I remember we used hide glue to re glue bridges and broken necks, ect. Had to melt it, stir it, carefully use it then quickly clean up! Thank goodness for Tight Bond today!!!

Gene and John Ramirez told me the story of the Stones and Gene later showed me the picture and receipts. Years later I worked and repaired next door at Alamo Music. There I was told the story that when the Stones came into Alamo Music, one of the ladies working in the office came out and told Keith to "TURN THAT AMP DOWN!"

I saw the Stones on the second night. My dear departed friend Rick Meyers scored tickets for us. We were seated on the right side up close to the stage. Keith was right in front of us. They did open with Honky Tonk Women. Not far into the concert my friend Rick disappeared. I am fixated on the Stones and can't believe I am so close to the stage. A hand holding a joint appeared above my head then in front of my face. I rear back and look up and it is Rick, partying with a BIG group of Brits above me who were the Stones entourage. Rick was invited to come up with them and I never noticed it. I told Rick, "Leave me alone- I am watching the Rolling Stones for Christ Sake". I did not want to miss a thing.

At Caldwell Music John Ramirez nick named me Jaybird since we both were named John and John1 & John2 didn't cut it.

I talked to Gene a few months ago on the phone and saw John Ramirez at Guitar Tex in San Antonio. They both are a great bunch of guys, I love em!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    RodeoTex, dkmw, Alamo and 1 other person like this.
  16. Clive Hugh

Clive Hugh Tele-Afflicted

There was a story about Waylon Jennings doing the same in a bar room brawl and the Tele stayed in tune, but I believe he used heavy strings.

17. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Awesome addition to Gene Warner's (Lone Wolf) story.
    thanks for that :):cool:

18. Donnie55

Donnie55 Tele-Afflicted

Nope never trust a fart.. The definition of surprise? A fart with a lump in it..

19. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

Alamo, you are welcome. I am glad I came across this thread. I was told that one of the Stones crew or Techs came into Caldwell Music earlier, I do not know if it was Saturday or early Monday and played the guitar in one of the little practice rooms. HE knew that the black Fender guitars sounded better than the rest. I was told that the wood was better tone wise but was very ugly and Fender had to paint these guitar bodies black.

A couple of other notes about Caldwell Music- I was talking to John Ramirez over a year ago and I asked if he remembered back in the day that every pawn shop in San Antonio had a 1950's Fender lap steel for sale. Every one of these lap steels had the original Telecaster pickup in it and I should have bought a few of these. He asked if I remembered that drawer down in the repair shop that was full of Fender lap steel pickups. I told him no, I never knew that! I never once opened that drawer. Boy I missed out on that.

When I went to work for Alamo Music next door, a friend working at Caldwell told me that Ted Turner (of Wishbone Ash) had been working at Caldwell and had just quit. I never knew. I would have liked to have walked in and thanked him for the music.

Gene Warner was THE guitar repairman in San Antonio. He is a legend and always sported a long, cool, waxed and curled handlebar mustache.

I always referred to him as Gene, Gene,The Fixing Machine!

RodeoTex and Alamo like this.
  20. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

And that's pre Plek!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.