That Pyrex sho’ do shatter!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by P-Nutz, Sep 29, 2021.

1. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ms. Nutz pulled some measuring cups out from a cupboard and the largest (4 cups) fell, hit our newish quartz countertop and exploded!

Reminded me of the old S&H Greenstamps Corelware that would leave shards for months!

Now I have to figure out how to polish out some minor scratches …

2. StoneH

StoneH Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

My wife has used these items on our new counters, and is very happy with it. Depends on the scratches though.

<Edit>. Oops, you said quartz . . . never mind ;)

upload_2021-9-29_21-47-29.png

P-Nutz likes this.
  3. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Holic

when Pyrex goes, it goes big!

P-Nutz and telestratosonic like this.
  4. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

It’s shop vac time. You don’t want glass splinters in your feet and they’re especially dangerous for pets.

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Pyrex is amazing stuff though. We used to melt silicon rock into liquid form at 1400°C in Pyrex crucibles.

6. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

I had an old crystal Crown Royal glass that my neighbor gave me after her father died. I used to take it camping, rolled up in a T shirt. I was unpacking the last time I got back from a trip and the shirt opened up. Pop! Little fragments went everywhere. Still finding them when I clean.

7. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

Yep. Perspex would have bounced off the quartz worktop, but has its limitations in your use case!

P-Nutz and Obsessed like this.
  8. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Good luck with the quartz. Dinging and scratching were two reasons we didn’t go with quartz

Yes, Pyrex is great until it breaks/shatters. We had a Pyrex bowl disintegrate in a microwave. I thought a bomb had gone off in the kitchen. Bowl and microwave were both trashed. Luckily the shards were kept in the oven so cleanup was rather simple

P-Nutz likes this.
  9. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

Had a friend who was cooking up something in Pyrex dish in the oven one time, and after a it had been cooking for 30 minutes or so, she opened the oven door to add a cup of water or stock to the dish...SHEBANG!!!! Like you said...exploded everywhere...floor, countertop, kitchen table...she was lucky I think to not have gotten injured.

P-Nutz, Blister and stormsedge like this.
  10. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Tempered glass tends to leave cube-like chunks, not splinters. At least in my universe.

Theorage, pixeljammer and P-Nutz like this.
  11. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

That very likely wasn't borosilicate Pyrex. Corning switched its consumer products to soda-lime glass years ago, and that stuff doesn't handle thermal shock anywhere near as well or as many times. Not that real Pyrex never fails, but it's very rare by comparison.

You can tell the two kinds apart by the logo. The one on the left is soda-lime and the one on the right is borosilicate.

Borosilicate_vs_soda_lime_pyrex_large.jpg

12. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It's like an invisible gnome in your kitchen yelled "Pull!"

13. ViciousDoctor

ViciousDoctor TDPRI Member

I have gotten those shards stuck under my fingernails before yeeowch...careful cleaning up

P-Nutz likes this.
  14. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Always a mad scramble to keep the dog from investigating. Weeks later you still find visible pieces. I think the hidden socks and picks throw them out to keep from being discovered.

P-Nutz likes this.
  15. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

We had this happen in our brand new oven. Still unclear what caused it, but I suspect the item in the dish was too frozen and the temperature delta did the Pyrex in. The mini-explosion was contained in the oven (mostly). One big mess to clean up as there really were not any big pieces left.

P-Nutz likes this.
  16. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Years ago I cut cut pretty badly when one shattered in my hand as I was getting it down from the shelf. Not fun.

P-Nutz likes this.
  17. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Our counters are dyed concrete made to look like granite. They will eventually be replaced. They chip easily.

P-Nutz likes this.
  18. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Tempered glass is darn resilient but if you hit it "just right"...BANG!! LOL That applies to the thick Pyrex stuff but also to things like Corelle and similar dinnerware. DAMHIKT!!

P-Nutz likes this.
  19. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire

Glass is pretty amazing stuff! First, it is considered a liquid. That is enough to leave me slack-jawed. But the key to any type of glass is how it is annealed. That is heating and cooling the fresh glass in a slow, controlled fashion in a lehr (pronounced 'leer') - basically a LONG oven with varying temperature zones. The annealing process helps eliminate stress points within the glass that can cause it to spontaneously shatter. During my stint in Technical Packaging at a brewery, I was witness to pallets of glass where improperly annealed bottles were popping like popcorn in the warehouse. I could be wrong, but I believe Pyrex is annealed much differently than typical beverage or window glass. I can't remember if stresses were built into the glass or removed.

P-Nutz likes this.
  20. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

From my meager physics knowledge... Glass, especially something like Pyrex, contains stresses that run along the lines of flow when it's molten. Given enough stress, something that releases it transforms that kinetic engergy.

When I was a kid I helped my sister bake a lemon merengue pie in a Pyrex dish. She took it out of the oven, setting it on top of the stove, and we turned and walked to the living room. W H A M !!! There was glass everywhere and merengue on the ceiling after that Pyrex dish decided it had enough heating/cooling cycles for one lifetime. It's a good thing we'd just walked out of the room.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.