That one time when you really messed up.

Spox

Tele-Meister
I messed up on a career basis from 14-31.

Here's one, my grandparents golden wedding anniversary, family have hired a hall, caterers, free bar. I'm about 17 and get royally drunk, I'm also going outside to smoke resin and at my last trip to the bar my uncles friend gives me a halfpint of straight vodka and after drinking that, I was already blind drunk, I decide to go home. I stop at the little caravan burger bar which was across the road from my folks place and buy two burgers, eat those and decide that I'm still hungry, put on boiled eggs, go into the toilet to puke up the burgers to make room and fall asleep wrapped around the pan. My mum gets a sense that something's wrong and leaves the party with my dad to come home and as they walk up the path they see smoke billowing out of the windows. They come in to find the kitchen on fire and see my boots/legs on the kitchen floor and drag me out and call the firebrigade. I wake up the next day with my parents bringing me breakfast in bed, a cup of tea and two tiny carbonised black balls in an eggcup, the remains of the eggs.

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
We used to jump trains from my neighborhood to downtown Atlanta. There was a curve they went slow through and they always slowed to a crawl in the center of town. One night after seeing a band we couldn’t seem to catch a railroad and it was too late for public transportation. We went to the old Omni center and snuck up to the recently abandoned World of Sid and Marty Kroftt. All the weird animitronics and rides were still there unplugged and uncovered. Weirdest night of my life at that time. Look it up.
I tried to jump a train when I hitched across the U.
S. when I got out of the military. I was told to catch them on the curve when they slowed down. Standing next to the tracks in the New Mexico desert I finally saw a train approaching. As it passed I threw my backpack with all my belongings on a flatbed. As the train rolled out of sight I was glad I had put my wallet in my pocket that morning. I was going to need new stuff.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
Another not so funny one. We were playing 2 psychobilly bands, who were friends, at a venue. Then we go back to the sleeping place, i fell asleep, and in the middle of the night i had to take a weeze. Like really badly. I woke up and the room was dark, not a ray of light. I was stumbling around, walking on my sleeping friends, but no light.

I really had to go, and i was disoriented, so i started leaking all over the guitar player from the other band.

My friends told me i was woken up by the sound of running water, while i was peeing in the dark on a friend... But like said, drunk, disoriented, not done on purpose. Not an excuse. but still, if you wake up and don't have any point of reference, that is what you get.

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
5cafc2_0c6020ba042f4be4beff9c87311b11a1~mv2.webp

There was a guy named Harry Crosby. During WWII, Harry was a navigator on a B-17 bomber in the 100th Bomb Group, flying out of England. He flew in the nose of the B-17, working at a little table at the windows you see in the picture below:

B17Blog.jpg

Harry was so good at what he did that he was made the lead navigator for the 100th bomb group. He lead every major mission the group flew, the furthest north, south, and west from their base. He survived from the beginning of the Group's involvement in the War to the end of the War. He rose to the rank of major and developed a system to train new navigators as they were assigned to the group.

Did I mention that Harry was prone to extreme airsickness? While he was flying missions he carried a spare briefcase full of airsick backs. However, he discovered that as long as he concentrated on the math that was necessary to lead hundreds of bombers to the target and back, he didn't get airsick.

After the war, the Army Air Corps brought him back to the states and assigned him to train other navigators. On his first training flight he got airsick and started filling his airsick bags. The other persons in the nose smelled the brew and got airsick as well. There's a little 4" round vent hole in the nose bubble of the plane that is adjustable keep the heat in the nose under control. The breeze from that little hole carried the smell up to the flight deck, where the two pilots and the top turret gunner rapidly got airsick. The smell of their ejecta carried through the bomb bay to the radioman's room, where he added his own puke and pungency to the brew. That carried aft to the two waist gunners, the ball turret gunner, and the tail gunner. Soon the entire floor of the plane was afloat in puke and the eleven men aboard were on the verge of being disabled.

Cursing Harry, who was the highest-ranking officer in the crew, the pilots turned the plane around and struggled back home where everyone piled out into the grass and lay, feeling horrible. That was the end of Harry's training career. He left the service and went on to teach English Lit. at a University. You can ready his account of his exploits, A Wing and A Prayer.

Bob

FaithNicole

Tele-Meister
reading these I feel so lame. Have I made mistakes, musically and life? Yes. Do they compare .. um, nope.

The closest music moment was at a jam (bass). We got done with a song, the singer/guitar player turned to me and asked, "What was that"? I just shrugged and said, "I don't know. I got lost and couldn't find my way back".

unclearty

Tele-Holic
somewhere in the past...dressed as Merlin at a Halloween party...standing behind the bar..serving and doing shots with every single person that was there...something in my stomach suddenly said, NOW...ran to the door..praying I could make it out that door...got the door open and let loose. There was a screen door...unfortunately

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
A wise man once told me the following regarding memory blanks on the next day:
"If your face is not damaged and your friends are still your friends... then you probably had fun."

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
I’m not sure I could even get it down to the top ten. The worst was waking up after being out bar hopping and having no recollection of how I got home. I ran out and checked the car for damage and there was none. I still shiver when I think of what might have happened. I had friends that had drinking blackouts involving driving. Once was enough for me.
My only drunk driving experience came from a wedding gig where there was lodging so we
didn't have to leave afterwards(also it was on an island and the ferries didn't run at night so we were stuck regardless).
So... I had been two-fisting free booze while dismantling the setup after the two sets we played.
Then we needed to pack the stuff into one of the cars which were staying the night in the enclosed yard of the
venue where we played. So.. I needed to back the car pretty much in a straight line across the yard,
load in the stuff, and drive it back across the yard in pretty much a straight line.
Let me tell you... it was really really HARD! I mean... look at all those controls!

b-52-long-range-bomber-cockpit-instrument-panel-B9NGDP.jpg

Helpful image of the inside of my car at that time.
So... this was kinda an eye opener as to just how much your brain gets fritzed after enough
fraternization with Brother Booze.

Flyboy

Tele-Holic
Many, many mess-ups, most involving drink or substances.

Thirty-odd years back, arriving with work in my hometown after being away for months. Decided to take my crew-mates to my fav bar for a lock-in. We get there and a guy I do not know won't let me in, despite other patrons vouching for me, and in a red mist I went for him. My colleagues had to break it up and once I gathered myself I found my shirt torn and my mates heading off in disgust. Got a well-deserved cracked rib out of that.

Another time, doing so much charlie that I felt like a zombie and lost control of my bladder. I later heard the beakstuff had been laced with Ket. That was the end of my substance days.

Also, not appreciating what I had in certain relationships. Thankfully, none ended badly.

Oh, and not buying that original 1961 stock-pot Jazz for silly cheap money!

Last edited:

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I once drove to the wrong airport :lol: Thankfully, I arrived early enough, I had (just enough) time to make it to the right airport and catch my flight. The plane door closed less than a minute after I sat down.

Flyboy

Tele-Holic
I once drove to the wrong airport :lol: Thankfully, I arrived early enough, I had (just enough) time to make it to the right airport and catch my flight. The plane door closed less than a minute after I sat down.
I once got onto the wrong 'plane. Only when they did a passenger check did they discover me. This was waaay back in the mid '80s, boarding from tarmac into a wee turbo-prop. Still, it would have been interesting for my work had I landed at Stavanger instead of Kirkwall.

Spox

Tele-Meister
I once got a train to the wrong airport in Berlin but was early enough to get other trains and catch my flight.

Flyboy

Tele-Holic
I once got a train to the wrong airport in Berlin but was early enough to get other trains and catch my flight.
There's a train in Hamburg that separates at a certain station. If you're not sitting in the correct set of carriages, that train heads off to another town! Learnt that one quickly!

Matt Sarad

Tele-Afflicted
Keeping the bassist.
He went so far off the rails musically, the keyboardist and I tried to bring it back in vain.
He really screwed the pooch on that one.
Looking for his replacement.

Eddiebaby1

Tele-Meister
On the back of my phone is this sticker:

59B20508-2028-4807-B718-5A737DFD4600.jpeg

There is a reason.

I’ve loved collecting the external scars over the decades. The internal ones not so much.