That old 6 barrel saddle bridge - what model(s) did it come stock on ?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by telesaxter, Jul 10, 2019.

1. telesaxter

telesaxter TDPRI Member

2. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Never.
    It was a replacement bridge offered for better intonation.
    HORRIBLE bridge,so stay away from tis rattle can.

3. telesaxter

telesaxter TDPRI Member

So it was an OEM replacement offered in the 70's?

4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have a cheap Chinese version of that bridge lying around. It has brass saddles though. I planned to use it on a partscaster but don't like the look of the string hole alignment.

It basically looks like the string holes are obscured by the saddle screws.

5. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I've got one kicking around in the parts box, all brass too...

certainly got it cheaper than the one on reverb... like 50 bucks or something..:rolleyes:

brass 6 saddle tele Bridge.jpg

6. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

The mid 70's Tele Custom had them.

I don't like any vintage Tele bridge so my opinion on this style of bridge is biased. This bridge doesn't line up the string groove, string hole, & adjustment screws properly. The string is made to jog over a little coming through the body, around the adjustment screw then into the slot. It's a sloppy design. The ones I've had always lower themselves due to string vibration/movement if you don't use some kind of thread lock (or just allow them to rust).

First thing I do when I get a Tele with a vintage style bridge is replace them with a Gotoh Modern style. I don't like the feel of these or other vintage bridges against my palm.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Nick Fanis likes this.
  7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

It did come standard on I think 76 and later Customs. But it's finicky to set up and as Nicks a rattler if not perfect and also you can get plinky piano tones that are maddening to chase. I've heard of people using a dot of Cryo (super) glue to lock the height screws.

8. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Me too.
    After years of drinking the vintage 3 saddle cool aid I have realized that the good old GOTOH is the absolutely best bridge out there.
    Tons of twang , better intonation and it beefs up the plain strings and balances the whole guitar.
    There's a reason why it was the first mode everyone did back in the 70s when it first came out and countless pros used it.

G.Rotten likes this.
  9. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Not sure when those first came out, but Fender now call them the "Six Saddle Vintage Bridge." They are a great bridge IMO. I always use them when not going for a vintage-accurate build.

G&L's version is outstanding too, though I don't like the black screws and springs, and Fender bridge covers don't quite fit them.

10. 62Brownie

62Brownie TDPRI Member

These did come stock on the Tele Customs in the ‘70s. My ‘74 custom has one. Don’t know the first year they started. Could be ‘74 actually. Honestly, like others have said, it is not the best. Sometimes it rattles or slightly mutes the strings, and it has to be set up perfectly to avoid any buzzing noises. I’ll probably switch it out to a brass 3-saddle bridge here shortly.

58A13410-4C87-41EB-B9EE-014E13666D9D.jpeg

11. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

They came standard on the James Burton Standard Telecaster. It tends to rattle, misalign strings, and behave badly. It was the first thing I replaced on my JBS. I think is was the smooth saddle version.

There’s another version, as well. I’ve got one that’s Fender OEM with 6 threaded saddles.

Edit: Was it also original to the Waylon Jennings Tele?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  12. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Holic

were they offered as an option with the 1982 and newer '52 AVRI's? I think they came in the case.

13. BrowneFace

BrowneFace TDPRI Member

Yes, that's correct.

14. rockinstephen

rockinstephen Tele-Meister

You are correct; it was the standard bridge on my MIM JB standard. I haven't had any problems with it and don't plan to change it...

Rust likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.