That NFL Football Thread

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by AllroyPA, Sep 29, 2013.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

my dad got his Masters at Notre Dame while in the military between WWII and Korea (he served as a Lt. Commander in both wars) so, I was aware of why… whether out of loyalty or not… their schedules usually have as much fluff as, say, Alabama.

Sorry, not buying the loyal patriot argument, but thanks for the effort!:D

Stanford is more rigorous than Notre Dame (seriously don't try to debate that one) and ummm, well, yeah.

Notre Dame is yesteryear. done. over. they aren't choosing it, they are stuck in a place where players DON'T want to go.

2. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Stanford is a great example of true student athletes and they obviously have a small pool of recruits to choose from. But they haven't won a football championship in 90 years and like ND, unlikely to field a BCS championship team anytime soon. And the 'not buying the patriot argument' is just an arbitrary statement not based in any logic or fact. I'm fine with you or anyone else not liking ND, but to portray them as some kind of undeserving 'elite' team is ridiculous.

3. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Getting back to the NFL part of this thread... good to see a team overcome a horrible call in the last two minutes and come back and win the game. I'm not a Jets fan, but that phantom PI call on 4th down nearly gave the game to the Falcons. Gino Smith was pretty impressive, I don't think Mark Sanchez ever sees the field again as a Jet.

4. getbent

and it would be if that is what we were saying.

Lets try a different way… I think from your post above you agree that ND won't be fielding a national championship team anytime soon, correct?

If that is the case then we have a chance of you understanding what we are saying… ND fans still act as though ND matters in that type of conversation when we'd agree, they don't.

The crowing ND fan (not you, but you have seen these people as have I) is crowing about the past, not the present nor future. It is just silly.

The analogy I thought about drawing would have been either seeing Sinatra well past his prime and trying to pretend or the fuss they make over the occasional 75 year old woman who we all crow about still being 'hot'…

it just aint thattaway. ND's golden years are behind them. That doesn't make me a 'hater' just an observer that you cannot draw the best student athletes to South Bend….

You may be right about Stanford… but, the chances of attracting the very best student athletes to Palo Alto is fare more likely and few people would question that they are far more competitive than the FI.

They no longer deserve the status of elite program, because… well, they aren't. (it is a long way down from being too big to be in a conference!)

5. BigWillyInd

BigWillyInd Tele-Afflicted

Can we please stop using the term "student athlete", how about semi-professional football player?

Oh, and sign me up on the Notre Dame hate list.

6. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

Wow, just looking at the final score kind of makes me wish I had watched that one. Not really a Jets or Falcons fan, but I wouldn't have pegged it that close!

I kinda dig the Saints though, so this outcome is fortuitous :D

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I feel bad.

A distant relative of mine used to be the AD at Notre Dame.

As an American of Irish heritage and having maybe 60% of my friends being catholic over the years, we were just under a constant bombardment by boosters and cheerleaders from ND. "We've got (somebody) on our side" and then they winked. This happened over and over to us - the most aggressive, obnoxious recruiters of any school, from Wisconsin to Ohio to Upstate New York to Massachusetts - where ever my family lived, there they were. They were everywhere and they NEVER let the school's achievements speak for themselves.

Maybe that's because by the 1970s, things were already slipping away. People started taping games, and officials got nervous about making that fishy call because physical evidence is a lot harder to refute than X said Y said.

I'd rather work on a Studebaker than watch ND. They're just poisonous, to me.

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

We've got people complaining about the DC NFL franchise being called the "Redskins". Not the "Drunken Redskins". Not the "Bloodthirsty Redskins", just the Redskins.

So, meanwhile at ND, they insist on calling the teaming the "Fighting" Irish. Why not call them the "Hot Tempered" Irish? The "Loquacious Boring Irish"? The "Silly Sentimental" Irish? The "Lazy Unreliable Unpatriotic" Irish?

I say, combining the word "Fighting" with the word "Irish" is an epithet. It categorizes people, diminishes them, stereotypes them.

If a team cannot even get its name right, why do people expect the world to like them?

9. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Add me to the list of people who roots against Notre Dame (in all sports) and being right outside of Chicago, the coverage can get a little nauseating a times. I will agree about their schedule being weak. The year they went to the National Championship a couple of years ago they won a gew tough games against Stanford and at USC and Oklahoma, but put them in the SEC and they'd be lucky to be a .500 team. Heck, have them play Ohio State every year like they do Michigan and Michigan State and that would be an almost guaranteed loss. There's no way they ever should've been in the BCS Championship game in the first place.

10. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Correct. They will never be able to compete with the football factories - apples and oranges. This has been the case for the last twenty years. You keep saying the ND fans saying 'they're the greatest'. I've been pretty involved with ND over the past ten years and I have no idea who 'those people' are. Do fans get passionate about their team? Absolutely - like every other college football team.

True that South Bend is not an attractive place. Yet ND currently has 29 alumni playing in the NFL. Alabama has 30. So there must be other reasons some students choose ND other than being in a BCS championship.

I guess it comes down to what someone expects college football to be.

11. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

There's no college football thread?

12. getbent

Agree on the italicized part. I don't have a whole bunch of expectations for college football. I was a college athlete (baseball) and had a bunch of football playing buddies… I was a scholar athlete, but lots of my friends were not….

I think college sports is in a strange place… finding its way and going through HUGE changes (mostly about money)

Notre Dame was (I think) the first school to get its own tv network and go as a big time independent chasing the independence of playing its own game. In a sense, they were the blueprint for how the mega conferences and tv networks and tv deals have been structured… they may have played a role in their own 'shrinkage'….

On the bolded part, one of the local radio personalities (bob fitzgerald) is insufferable about ND. What always cracks me up is that if you ask these folks (lots of OU fans are like this too) what year they graduated… they feebly answer that they NEVER ATTENDED.

13. Mjark

Three unbeaten teams left. It looks like the Saints have the toughest opponent this week.

14. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

You bet that was one to watch. I bet on Atlanta but about 3/4 of the way through had to remind myself of that fact as I was pulling for the Jets.

15. Mjark

Will Dallas play "down" this week against the Skins?

16. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Tele-Meister

Well I think RGIII can only improve on his start, but we'll see !

17. Mjark

I have a hard time seeing them play as well as they did against Denver.

18. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

giants 0-6!

19. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

20. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

Wow that's worse than the Jags record lol.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.