That moment of pure inspiration... what was your epiphany?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rze99, May 12, 2019.

1. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Meister

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Don't recall one particular moment, but, being born in '58 and having a cool bother seven years my senior, I tip my hat to hearing The Beatles and The Stones, The Byrds, Yardbirds, etc, etc. My parents bought me a Harmony H15 Bobkat and a 5 watt Ampeg tube amp in, probably, '68, and the rest is history...took lessons from a jazz guy for several years, have forgotten more than I remember...but I can fake it playing by ear pretty well

brookdalebill likes this.
  2. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

But I didn't knew it was him until later... it was the Rolling stones cover of "Carol"

Then my very first guitar was a 335 copy, of course

3. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Afflicted

Elvis my favorite singer. Church music. I sung in church as a kid. Hee Haw made me notice the guitar. Roy clark could play. Osmonds TV show. Glen Campbel played fancy Rolling In My Sweet Babby's Arms. John Stamos on full House made the guitar seem fun. All of that for me.

4. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

This did it for me:

A few years later, Nick Drake's Pink Moon album.
    I was all about what one guy could do with just a guitar. I never wanted to join a band.

Then about 10 years after that, I heard a local musician play a tele at an open mic and I was sucked down the electric guitar rabbit hole.

theprofessor and brookdalebill like this.
  5. mfowler314

mfowler314 Tele-Meister

I was about 8 or 9 and had just bought the 45 of Hey Jude after having heard it over and over on my transistor radio. Then I flipped it over and.... Holy Crap! What is THAT??!!! I gotta learn how to do that!

P Thought and brookdalebill like this.
  6. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I learned about how rock & roll was invented by pounding the doghouse for 3 years in a rockabilly roots band. Got to share the stage with The Crickets, Frankie Ford, and Bobby Vee in the process.

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Revolution, right?

8. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

A PBS program in the early 70s that featured a segment with B.B. King. He was standing on some steps in Washington D.C.

He played a bit and I knew what I wanted to do with the rest of my musical life.

9. mfowler314

mfowler314 Tele-Meister

Yes! The electric version, not the acoustic version on the White Album.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

10. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

Gram Parsons. I still remember the moment I was listening to his GP album a friend recommended and it just clicked. An entire genre of music that I had previously written off as total garbage had opened up. That was almost 15 years ago and my love for certain types of country music is still going strong.

11. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

We had a TV by 1964 and I was about 8 and Saturday night was " Reg Lindsay's Country and Western Hour" and a film clip of Roy Orbison Singing and Playing; "Oh. Pretty Woman" came on.
    That was it
    . I had to play a guitar. Wish I could sing like that.
    I was playing Linda Ronstadt singing Blue Bayou on youtube, and have backed a female singer who could hit that last note Eb.
    Then I played Roy who starts at low E and finishes on a High E. incredible. what a voice. Four Octave range on that song alone- let alone " Crying".
    Recently I lent my Travelling Wilburys DVD and to my neighbours , they agreed with me about how good Roy was.

12. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i loved music my whole life...been into the 60s and 70s rock stuff...but then i heard god save the queen by the sex pistols...everything was different after that

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  13. GuitarGeorge

GuitarGeorge Tele-Meister

This

14. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I grew up listening to the Doors, Hendrix, Cream etc. I had a guitar but it was really a prop that went with the long hair and multi coloured t shirts.

A friend taught me some chords and gradually I realised that I could make music. That became a lifelong passion.

15. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

In 1967, I went to the record store to buy the Fresh Cream album. Eric Clapton was already my guitar hero, so I was expecting it to be good. Then, I saw this album on the end cap called The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are you Experienced. The record store guy said he was the new rage in England, so I picked it up. When I took it home and played it, I suddenly realized that everything I knew about music and guitar playing was wrong, and I had to start over.

16. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

1992...I attended the Tennessee Banjo Institute (last year they had it). They formatted the concert to run thru a historic timeline of styles. The early stuff (1850-1900) just grabbed me by the collar and wouldn't let go. It was like a window opening...there was life outside of bluegrass!

17. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

back in highschool my class mate Chris got a cheap acoustic guitar, he was the only kid in our year/age group who had a guitar.. I used to go to his place after school to listen to music and try and learn some chords... we didn't have as much info compared to what's available today with the net... a chord book maybe, mel bray even?, sheet music with chord blocks on top.....

One afternoon we were listening to Pink Floyd and through trial and error trying chords Chris figured out Julia Dream and we learned to strum along as best we could taking turns .. Am Dm C E Am kinda thing...

that's when my first real guitar epiphany came.... I was playing along to PF, the sounds seemed to fit...:eek:

!!! OUR GUITAR is the same as THEIR GUITARS..... IT'S ALL ON HERE.... under my fingers.. there is no mystery or magic.. just more knowledge.... and getting harder finger tips....:lol:

we were also listening to FZ at the time... now that was so defeating, I knew then I'd never get close to Frank... no one else at the time seemed to be able to, what hope did I have....:cool::rolleyes::D

18. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I don't recall a lot of forward-looking epiphanies or moments of inspiration that have stood the test of time. Or at least not many. I recall hearing an album and thinking it was mind-blowing and not having it stand the test of time. A good case in point is Radiohead's OK Computer. When that came out, everyone was super-hyped about it. Folks in the music industry were drooling. I listen to it again every once in a while, only to skip through to a few moments of a few songs. To me, The Bends has stood the test of time much better. That's just one example, and in my opinion, of course.

Sometimes I've gone back to music that I wasn't into at the time, only to realize that at that time, this music was tremendous and unstoppable. A case in point is the Beastie Boys's "Sabotage" from Ill Communication. The version they did on David Letterman is just unbelievable. This is at the height of grunge alternative. If anything had my attention that was contemporary at the time, it was that. But this was happening, too. It's not that I think this is somehow more influential than contemporaries like Nirvana or whomever. But looking back, it seems more of a revelation of sonic power.

19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I really didn't know anything about country music, but when I was young and I went to see "Your Cheatin' Heart" and heard Hank Jr. singing all of his daddy's songs, I thought it was pretty cool. At the end though is when I had my epiphany. You know when Hank dies in the Cadillac? I thought man, if you're only twenty nine years old and drop dead in one of those things, I don't ever wanna own a Cadillac!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.