'That Little Ol' Band From Texas' Trailer

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by StrangerNY, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Have always loved ZZ Top, only saw them live once, back in the 80s and it was the absolutely one of the worst sounding live gigs that I have ever seen/heard. Never saw them again, but love listening to their albums.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Dang, went down the rabbit hole this morning.
    Their First Album was my primer to blues guitar.

3. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I was hoping to dig up some pics of the La Grange show, but I couldn't find any of mine right now.

But here is a video of it. I would probably have been about 30 ft from where this was taken. It was just an open field, no chairs, so we just made our way right up front. If nothing else, just watch the first minute or so to see them playing with the crowd.

Cheers,
    Doug

Big_Bend and RodeoTex like this.
  4. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Some of the new looking footage in the trailer looked familiar from some ZZ Top documentary that I stumbled upon browsing TV channels many weeks ago???

5. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Agreed on all points.

6. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I LOVE THEM

And try to play a bunch of their songs

TheGoodTexan and gridlock like this.
  7. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

Looks good. Presumably I'm most likely to get it on Netflix or similar at some point.

I somehow rediscover them every few years, I've seen them live twice and even those were years apart.

8. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Loved their first 3 albums and they became, to me, hit or miss
    Saw them 4-5 times and enjoyed every show
    I’ve told this story before, so I won’t tell it now, about a taxidermied trout, a possible theft, encounter with a dubious Good Samaritan, & the return of said trout & ZZ Top’s drummer in Galveston, Tx
    Looking to seeing the documentary

9. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

'ZZ Top: That Little Ol' Band From Texas', directed by Banger Films co-owner Sam Dunn (Canada, 2018, 1 hour 26 minutes) ran on a Finnish Broadcasting Company channel on 1st and 9th of June 2019.
    https://areena.yle.fi/1-50092155

edit:
    And it is still available online for a couple of days. Not sure if there are location based limits on WHERE you can view it.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    bender66 likes this.
  10. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

I saw ZZ Top on their Eliminator tour. I like some of their earlier stuff better but, 8th row center stage, and it was the best show I've ever seen. I'd like to see this show but the link doesn't seem to work in the US.

11. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

The documentary that I saw in my corner of the world is certainly either the same as in the OP's post, or an edit of the same material. It is a story about the band, with their music playing much of the time. How they got together as a band; how Bill Ham contributed; how they turned being weird guys, from a weird place, playing weird music, into an advantage; how they ended up with the beards; getting into music video. You even get glimpses of their personalities (I think). A few somber moments about Frank's drug addiction, too.

Well worth watching.

12. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Love ZZ Top... I’ve seen them live twice, their shows are such a good time.
    I’ve always maintained that there ain’t nobody cooler than ZZ on stage. They just exude cool. From the sync’d steppin’, to the side pipe mic stands.

13. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

Looks good. Why is Billy Bob Thornton all of a sudden Mr Rock and Roll?

bender66 likes this.
  14. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Over the past year I have been rediscovering the albums that got me playing guitar. Tres Hombres, Tejas and Deguello all have great guitar tone throughout. This time around I am noticing the tracks I didn’t dissect as a kid. Like, Hot Blue and Righteous. That Leslie guitar tone is by far the best guitar through Leslie I have ever heard. On El Diablo, the whole dueling strat lead section is full of tones and feel only Billy G. can get.

In the 80’s the owner (Henry Lee) of the music store I worked at did a few ZZ Top tunes in his band. One that I was really impressed with was Precious and Grace. Its a muddy mess of a song guitar wise. That punchy rhythm part with bass and drums at the beginning would just hit you in the chest when it kicked off. He played it on an old 335 custom that had PAFs in it. At the end of the song (2:09) there a weird sounding slide solo that Henry would pick behind the bridge on the trapeze tail piece. It absolutely NAILED the sound. It blew me away because as a kid I just thought us was some weird effect or lap steel that Billy used. Nope! Just pure Billy.

Henry was a quiet demure Asian man that could nail the Billy tone feel and inflections. He was born and raised in Harlingen Tx during that era. In fact, he told me all about ‘The X’ and others that were flooding the airwaves back then. His bands played many club gigs with folks of that time including ZZ Top. I need to go visit Henry.
    I say all that to say this. I hope this documentary delves into the early roots deeply so I can understand where it all came from.

RodeoTex and bender66 like this.
  15. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

The Riviera Theatre usually has small movies like this come through. They had the Carmine St. Guitars doc a couple months ago.
    Nobody in this god for saken town advertises though. If you don't religiously read The Independent your screwed. I've missed too many good bands I'd have wanted to see.

Wish that link worked in the states.

16. fretWalkr

fretWalkr TDPRI Member

ZZ Top had me when I heard the intro to Brown Sugar on the first album. I saw them at the Warehouse in Memphis in the early 70's before the beards and the show stuff. They recorded in Memphis a lot at the time. Around '76 I was visiting a mix session in Ardent studio B. They were in studio A recording what must have been the Tejas album. They were playing so loud the bass and guitar were bleeding through to the B control room! It was like being in an apartment with the neighbor playing their stereo too loud.

I'm still a fan and I'd love to see this documentary.

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Had no idea this was coming. Please keep us posted about showings. If I have to drive two states and a time zone over to watch, I'll do it and no need to talk my wife into it either. She's a big fan too.

18. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

Yup, I'm in the same place, but I can't put Deguello above Tres Hombres - I gotta call it a tie, they're both just sooooo damn good. But it was absolutely their LAST great album.

I'm right there with you. Deguello was the last great (or even consistently good) ZZ Top album and it was as good as any and better than almost any. Tattoo You was the last good Stones album, Exile was the last great one. Since those albums, they've both been pretty good touring bands but no consistently good albums. At most a couple of memorable songs per album and a lot that doesn't really belong in their catalog...

-Ray

19. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

I saw them in the 90's with the Blacks Crowes opening. Even though we were in the very back of the arena, it was the most painfully loud show I've ever attended. Lousy experience.

Bones likes this.
  20. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

sounds about right.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.