That Guitar you Never should have sold!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Itgoesto11, Jul 23, 2021.

1. RWB

RWB TDPRI Member

About 25 years ago I traded in a very nice Yamaha 12-string in order to buy my first Telecaster. I was sorry to see that guitar go but it kick started my love of Teles.

Fretting out and Torren61 like this.
  2. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

A Guild all mahogany D-25 (with the flat back) bought in 1970.

A Guild Thunderbird bought around the same time. All the original pickups and electronics were stripped and replaced with two Gibson Humbuckers and simple toggle switch but I loved playing that guitar.

DDickens, Fretting out and Torren61 like this.
  3. James824

James824 TDPRI Member

BOTH of these Gibson Custom shops

Korina SG
    ES335 Fat Neck

[​IMG]

4. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Ouch...1976 Guild Maple Jumbo 12 string with gold hardware and abalone slab markers like the one in the picture below. Traded it for an import LP copy and a Peavey amp....cuz THE BAND was getting back together. Stupid kid.

C7EAD542-F4AE-4D65-9C6C-400A162F4CBE.jpeg

5. telemaster03

telemaster03 Tele-Meister

Interestingly, I don't really regret selling any regular guitars. I have guitars that are off limits as far as selling them and it would definitely be regretful if I had to sell one of those.

One that did get away that I regret was actually a pedal steel, a 1976 Sho-Bud LDG that had been refinished by A.J. Nelson and re-worked by Show Pro Steel Guitars. Mr. Nelson worked for Sho-Bud for years before working with Show Pro and he has since passed away. The LDG models were mostly stained dark green that aged into turd brown but the refinish in piano black with the gold rope inlays was my dream steel guitar color and it played so nice and had the Sho-Bud tone. I changed bands and didn't play steel for years and it sat idle for about a year before I sold it, wish I wouldn't have.

upload_2021-7-23_14-32-57.png

6. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

I tried really hard to sell my Fender MIM Esquire a few years ago, but couldn't get what I wanted. A few months ago I pulled it out of the closet - what was I thinking? I love this guitar!

Torren61 likes this.
  7. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

If I had to pick just one it would be this aluminum resonator Tele. I wish I'd have kept it and gotten rid of the resonator part and installed more traditional Tele electronics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Ouch! Man I know how you feel though. Sold one of my 30's Nationals for 1800 several years ago. Only had 1000 in it and had another one so... figured 800 profit wasn't too bad. Today it's double that and more...

Yep... me too. Sold it for 100 bucks... and it was mint. Dum. I still don't know why I did that! LOL!!!

9. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

The only guitar I’ve ever sold was my first one. My grandfather got it at a yard sale and stopped by with it one day because he knew I liked music. He was always doing stuff like that. Cast iron pans, books, a butter dish.
    It was a Howard. In my little hands it played like a footstool stuck to a baseball bat. Yeah, we have that cliche for a reason. Sounded good though, and sturdy. I could play it nice and hard.
    Eventually I thought I wanted something more delicate and modern so I could play more complex stuff without trying as hard. So I traded it in towards one I barely remember now. The end.

Fretting out, Fiesta Red and Torren61 like this.
  10. telemaster03

telemaster03 Tele-Meister

That resonator Telecaster is sweet!

Controller, Fiesta Red and Torren61 like this.
  11. msalama

msalama Tele-Meister

A geetar I regretted selling??? Well here's a list of planks of note I've owned during the years:

1961 Fender Duosonic
    1962 Fender Jazzmaster
    1965 Fender Jaguar
    1965 Fender Jazzmaster
    1968 Fender Telecaster
    1969 Fender Stratocaster
    1969 Fender Stratocaster (yes, another)
    1972 Fender Telecaster
    1972 Fender Duosonic
    1973 Fender Telecaster Custom
    1973 Gibson SG some-or-another
    1973 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe
    1974 Fender Stratocaster

And you know what? Vintage or not, most were just average guitars. Only 3 were excellent (the 1st '69 Strat in the list, the '73 Tele Custom, the '73 LP Deluxe I luckily still own), whereas at least 3 (the other '69 Strat, the '72 Tele, the '73 SG) were virtually unplayed POS deadwood crap, i.e. so-called "mint collector pieces". And the rest were just meh, more or less.

So what happened to them? Most sold off in 2007 just before the crash, profited well from the sales too, then invested said money (and savings) in a flat in a big European capital, which we've been using as a second home ever since. And said flat has actually appreciated in value much, MUCH more than any of those axes would've...

There's only 2 I regret selling. The first Strat was a beat to **** original with just a jumbo refret, and it was a real player's guitar. And the second, an all original '73 Tele Custom. A bitchin' rock machine Keef would've proudly exhibited on stage back in the day I'm sure (he says hopefully). But the rest? Good riddance. Still, am forever thanking all the gods under the sun - and elsewhere - that I DIDN'T get rid of Lady Lester, because she's just the best ever...

Thanks for bearing with me guys!

/raaaant

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  12. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

60s Guild Starfire III. Cherry. Played some great shows and good memories with it.

Foolishly, foolishly sold it when: (1) I determined that I needed* fat necks and (2) the price increased substantially over what I paid.

Have missed it on and off ever since. Special pickups.

*now my favorite necks are Japanese Jacksons. And they appear to be what I was searching for all along. Sadly, the Starfire neck was pretty similar.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    DDickens and Torren61 like this.
  13. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Holic

My house so far is like the Guitar Motel.

Guitars check in but they don't check out.

Ditto firearms.

Torren61 likes this.
  14. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

1995 Gibson Jimmy Page signature LP. Earliest serial number I’ve ever seen. Most mind blowing grain I’ve ever seen. I didn’t know what I had. I traded it at a guitar show in Pamona, CA for a ‘77 Clownburst LP and a ‘88 Strat with Lace Sensor Golds. I last saw that Page LP on YouTube for sale in Sydney, AU. The Clownburst went through two refinishes and a complete mod makeover and sold to a fellow in Gothenburg, Sweden. The Strat went through one refinish and mod and my son still has it.

I’m working out of town but I’ll post some pics Saturday or Sunday.

OmegaWoods likes this.
  15. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I used to have regrets, not really anymore. It was all part of the journey.

I suppose I’d take back the ‘62 Musicmaster that I returned to Guitar Center. It appeared to be all original except for the knobs. Got it for $600 like ten years ago. It had the tiniest neck ever, I could barely play it. But I knew that was a steal of a deal then, and they’re selling for a lot more now. So I probably should’ve tracked down some old knobs and held onto it.

Torren61 likes this.
  16. Ivan

Ivan Tele-Holic

There are many guitars I wish I still had due to what they're worth now. However, I don't miss those.

I know this is a bit different to those who regret selling their vintage guitars but the two I really wish I kept and think about quite often are Baja Teles. They were inexpensive and great.

I bought both brand new and sold both for the same reason of funding a more expensive flavour of the month purchase.

Really regret not having them now. Even though I could (easily) buy them again used, there's something about being the sole owner of a guitar from when it's new.

2011 50s Baja

IMG_6828.JPG

2014 60s Baja

P1010481.JPG

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    Torren61 likes this.
  17. Cadillac_Mike

Cadillac_Mike Tele-Holic

My '79 Strat. Back in 2004 when I traded it for a new Les Paul Studio they were worth about the same as a new American Fender. If I had known it would be worth 3 grand now... :cry:

Torren61 likes this.
  18. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Holic

Wow, that's some heavy regret. At least you still have the J-45.

You do still have it?

19. Itgoesto11

Itgoesto11 Tele-Meister

Um no I do not. Sold that one too. It had a great Cobraburst finish. Funny that these three guitars are in the same photo as they are the three I miss the most, after 45 years of playing and collecting!

20. roadkillbill

roadkillbill Tele-Holic

The one that got away for me is a 1968 Telecaster Thinline, usually referred to as a ‘69 Thinline….mine was sunburst…

It all began in ‘68….I bought a Jaguar for $125, and played it in a soul band with horns for a few months until one night I showed up at an out of town gig to find another guitar player in my spot...that’s how I got fired….well, for reasons I’ll never know, this guitar player had a Rickenbacker 360, blond and beautiful, with the checkered binding, rico-sound and a beautiful case, and he wanted to trade it for the Jaguar. so we did the trade.

The Rick was amazing to look at but I generally didn’t like it, at all, and in a few months I moved to another city and ran into a guy with the Thinline telecaster who wanted to trade with me for the Rick, which I did…

And, the point of the story is I loved the Thinline but had the opportunity to buy a ‘59 Gibson LP special, TV yellow, so I sold the Thinline and bought the LP special for $150, which I still have. But it would have been so easy to come up with a spare hundred bucks or so to keep the Thinline, but I didn’t. I never really considered having more than one guitar at a time, and certainly had no idea how rare this Thinline would be now. I’ve never seen one like mine for sale, ‘68 with maple cap fingerboard and no skunk stripe….I’d love to have it now.

Torren61 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.