That dilemma of when your pet grows old

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Tomm Williams, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ready?
    oh, what a challenge

As posters have mentioned - don't wanna quit too soon, but also don't wanna play longer than is right for the beloved family member.

Fortunately, our furbabies gave us clear signals - stop eating, drinking & grooming? It's time.

This internet forum has been a source of comfort, as I read how deeply other folks care for their animal companions and how supportive tdpri responds.

Peace - Deeve

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I have a 16-year-old foo dog (an asian mix of some sort) who's deep into doggie dementia, wandering all night, getting trapped in corners, tripping over things, and steadily losing control of her bodily functions. We've resisted putting her down so far, as she still has moments of her old self, but those are few and far between at this point.

This isn't my first elderly pet, so I have faith that I'll know when the time has come... but it's still hard to watch her fade away.

Fretting out likes this.
  3. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

Had a similar situation with our dog earlier this year. Different ailments, same symptoms. We left for a few hours one day while he was cordoned off in the living room, but when we returned, it was obvious he’d banged into something hard and really inflamed his eye. That was the point at which we made the decision, before he accidentally did himself some real damage.

My sympathies. To me, the only thing worse than losing a treasured pet is being forced to make that decision.

4. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I can't bring myself to read the responses past the OP.

My furball was declining so I did the obvious thing & took him in for a checkup. Vet said it's time to go. I kept him alive via IV solution for dehydration just long enough to say good bye. A few days later I dug his hole with him alive next to me watching. It was difficult to say the least. That was 7-8yrs ago? It still affects me. I look at the latest living furball that occupies my life & dread that day. He came into my life in the same manner as the first. Damn near identical looking & the same mannerisms. It's eerie.

I ended up on the slab getting an MRI this week. I walked around for days with a different perspective, feeling like my first cat. One of the more worrisome things was where he would go.

Fretting out likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.