Thanksgiving: what to expect?

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
I do my shopping a few days before or after Christmas. I think the best deals are found at that time.

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Wild turkeys are among the hardest game to hunt
Boy, not in my yard they're not. I'm considering neighbor-friendly, low-profile ways to "thin the herd", maybe plate a couple for the holidays. Perhaps a snare of some kind.
IMG_20221028_161333659_HDR.jpg

This one has strange coloration:
IMG_20221105_161539368.jpg

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Boy, not in my yard they're not. I'm considering neighbor-friendly, low-profile ways to "thin the herd", maybe plate a couple for the holidays. Perhaps a snare of some kind.
View attachment 1047963
View attachment 1047965
Big tough nasty birds - snare one and you're in for a rodeo.
More like a Texas knife fight.
I recommend a .17 HMR with a really fine scope and a suppressor.
Try and head shoot 'em. Waste less meat that way.
Good Luck Pilgrim! 🍗🦃

Guitarzan

Poster Extraordinaire

Those are both hens, the two-tone with white is a pretty bird.

The Eastern is the harder one to hunt and they are not in OR. The toms are generally the ones hunted and only in spring, but a few places allow fall hunting and a limited hen harvest.

A lot of turkey hunters will not take a Tom unless he comes to calling and he is gobbling and strutting, they consider anything else to be un-sporting and improper bush whacking (the law does not prohibit stalking and killing them quietly).

Ironically, the only small population of Easterns in the NW is up in WA in Olympia N.P.

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I have no science to back this up, but by longtime observation I'd say the wild turkey population has made a dramatic recovery in this part of the country. Over the past 10-ish years I've seen and heard them much more often than I ever used to. 30-40 years ago I think only hunters ever saw them.

Back in the spring our yard population was only a couple hens, one with four chicks and one with three. Now the flock seems to have coalesced. . . .