Thanksgiving Flights

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I made reservations from JFK to LAX two days ago. I waited until the money was available. Surprisingly enough, American was cheaper than Jet Blue. Prices to Ontario, closer to my ultimate destination, were way too high. When I booked, a few of the flights showed "only three seats remaining at this price". We are flying Tuesday and returning on Friday to save a few hundred on each ticket. I needed three with one son still on subsidy. If you haven't booked yet, waiting will only make flights cost more. Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone, whether home or away:).

studio1087

Telefied
Ad Free Member
You're still outside of the 2-3 week window. All good. We have two kids in school who have to fly home for everything and dad is happy to pay if they book one month or farther out. They are both great students but our son needs constant reminding about arranging his rides home. Checking flights after finals is never good. You need to book that Christmas flight in November so that dear old dad doesn't have a heart attack when he sees the bill.

JFK to LAX! That's a long ride. We have a wide country. Just go to Cancun; it's quicker! :)

allen082

Friend of Leo's
We're heading to Europe on vacation the week of Thanksgiving. Bought our tickets about a month ago. Apparently, that is the time to head overseas. Incredibly affordable.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I made reservations from JFK to LAX two days ago. I waited until the money was available. Surprisingly enough, American was cheaper than Jet Blue. Prices to Ontario, closer to my ultimate destination, were way too high. When I booked, a few of the flights showed "only three seats remaining at this price". We are flying Tuesday and returning on Friday to save a few hundred on each ticket. I needed three with one son still on subsidy. If you haven't booked yet, waiting will only make flights cost more. Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone, whether home or away:).

Ontario ... California? I was confused for a second.

Bob M

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Unfortunately it is getting really expensive to fly to regional airports. I have an office in Ontario and it used to be reasonable to fly into the Ontario Airport from Boston, not anymore. We even used to get deals to fly into John Wayne or Long Beach. Again, not anymore. I always fly into LAX and drive to Ontario. We just went to Charlottesville. VA and the same thing-$700 to fly into Charlottesville, but only $160 to fly to Richmond. Flying is not what it used to be.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Unfortunately it is getting really expensive to fly to regional airports. I have an office in Ontario and it used to be reasonable to fly into the Ontario Airport from Boston, not anymore. We even used to get deals to fly into John Wayne or Long Beach. Again, not anymore. I always fly into LAX and drive to Ontario. We just went to Charlottesville. VA and the same thing-$700 to fly into Charlottesville, but only $160 to fly to Richmond. Flying is not what it used to be.
Flying’s not What it used to be, for sure. But Ontario is no longer a regional airport. There are flights to hubs, but also flights to China and Mexico. It’s more like Richmond than Charlottesville. I use ONT when I can. The drive from LAX to Rancho Cucamonga can be 2 to 3 hours.

Last edited:

Paul in Colorado

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I used to fly into DC and then take a puddle jumper to Ch'ville. It was cheap. Of course that was a few decades ago. I guess I'll take the train next time.

Bob M

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Flying’s not What it used to be, for sure. But Ontario is no longer a regional airport. There are flights to hubs, but also flights to China and Mexico. It’s more like Richmond than Charlottesville. I use ONT when I can. The drive from LAX to Rancho Cucamonga can be 2 to 3 hours.
I've not checked Ontario flights in a while. I will next time. Thanks!

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I am going from Huntsville, Al to Washington, DC Thanksgiving, I think I booked Dulles because of dollars. I booked about three weeks ago. Flight that time do not get cheaper.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Not at all interested traveling like cattle ... herding to be processed.

Thanksgiving weekend, we will be hosting our 21st annual Christmas tree hunting/cutting party with a big bonfire, hot dogs, chili, s'mores and hopefully all happening in the about a foot or two of snow. Last weekend for deer, elk, bear and moose hunting too.