1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thanks for the music Dad

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by SapoAmpRepair, Feb 26, 2021.

1. SapoAmpRepair

SapoAmpRepair TDPRI Member

Had a great and rare visit with my folks during this damn pandemic.

My father started playing guitar at 12 and kicked into high gear 2 years later when the Beatles played the Ed Sullivan show.

He gave the gift to my brother and I from a young age. When I was a young **** I didn't appreciate it as much, but the older I get the more and more I thank my lucky stars for it.

So, cheers pops, and thanks for the music.

20210226_153901.jpg

2. Jazzerstang

Jazzerstang Tele-Afflicted

That looks like a fun little space. Love the Vibrochamp. Just like mine

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My Dad is directly responsible for my love of music.
    Dad played violin/fiddle.
    He was classically trained, and could sight read music.
    He taught many young fiddle players, for free around here.
    Our house was full of music.
    Dad also fixed my amps and guitars for me as needed in my youth.
    He did amp repair for local businesses, and had his own repair shops, too.
    I backed him at countless fiddle contests, where he and I often placed.
    It's not lost on me how much love both my parents gave my sisters and I.
    We were truly blessed.
    Thanks, and RIP, Mom and Dad.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Skub, Toadtele, meadwill and 14 others like this.
  4. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

As a 4 or 5 year old, I remember my Dad playing his inexpensive acoustic and singing along with Kingston Trio records. Thanks Dad(and Mom) for instilling a fantastic love of music in me.

5. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

I didn't grow up in a musical house, but my kids grew up with band rehearsals and practice and playing all the time. One of them loves and plays music, the other has no interest at all.

6. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

In the 70s I grew up in south Texas where football was king. My dad was of the mindset that guys in the band were of a more feminine persuasion. When I was 14 I heard "Dark Side of the Moon" for the first time. Within a week I went and put some kind of Japanese Strat copy on layaway without telling my folks. He found out about it called me into his office handed me a hundred dollars told me to go get my guitar, but that I would still be playing football. That Christmas there was a peavey amp under the tree.

7. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

Kingston Trio, I still remember MTA, Tijuana Jail and Tom Dooley as some of the best 'story' songs out of the late 50s folk era

telestratosonic and Fendereedo like this.
  8. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

My dad was the musical one, mum was artistic and wrote poems. Me and my late brother got a bit of talent from each of them.

9. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

That’s a nice little story on your Dad. My own played a little piano at parties etc, but mainly just encouraged me down any positive path I took, including guitar playing. He did say I had a great uncle who was a traveling preacher & minstrel, and I later found that story was true.

haggardfan1 and telestratosonic like this.
  10. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My Father was not musical at all but he got me started on electronics and taught me the basics of how to repair amps. After moving to Colorado I would call him with problems and he would help me diagnose problems over the phone. I keep his “Drewline Service Laboratories” sign in my shop to this very day. Sadly he’s been gone 25 years at this point.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  11. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

My dad didn't play guitar but was oddly really into Satriani, Vai, and SRV. So he turned me onto those guys which I'm sure had a direct influence on me deciding to pick up the guitar in the first place.

whole tone and SapoAmpRepair like this.
  12. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Great picture (and gear!) Hopefully you got to jam on your visit. The first music I really remember diving into (after children's records) was my Dad's big band albums, of the Dorseys, Glenn Miller etc., all of whom he was able to see in his younger years out on the old pier in Old Orchard beach in Maine. That instilled a life-long love of jazz for me; in turn he at least listened to (was subjected to heh) all of our subsequent pop/rock music over the years, from the Ventures to the Beatles, Neil, Dead and onward, and really did appreciate a good portion of it. He sang in the church choir as well; the rest of my family had no inclination or talent whatsoever to play music, and my Mom especially was hilariously infamous for singing along loudly with the radio and not able to be even close to on pitch. Particular episodes were singing out the car window while driving, and slaughtering "Mrs. Robinson" and the schmaltzy "Jean" (her name.) Good times!

13. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Love it! My son and I play all the time... it is one of those things that our extended family expects.. that when we get together, we all bring instruments and play.

14. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Meister

My mom played piano, violin, clarinet and a little guitar. She lost most of her hearing when I was young and had to stop playing, but always encouraged my late brother and I to play. She helped my buy my first guitar. One of the best gifts she ever gave me was a love of music.

haggardfan1 and Stubee like this.
  15. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Great tribute to your dad and nice photo. My father (the guy on the right in my avatar, younger brother on the left) played guitar and also had a wonderful tenor singing voice. He had a band, The Melody Mountaineers, in Duluth, MN back in the late 40's. He played and sang through most of his adulthood, but too busy as a businessman to gig or otherwise play out. But he gave me the kernel that turned into my guitar playing and singing. I am not great at either, but I sure do enjoy it. Thanks, Dad!

16. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I’m almost your pops age. When I was a kid my pop would come home from work and play Louie Jorden tunes and sing them like “Ain’t nobody home but us chickens “ and we thought it was hilarious. We thought he was making them up. Imagine my surprise 20 years later when I finally heard the old records of Louie J.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  17. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Yet another reason why I like you, Bill, and this is a great thread in general.

My earliest memories are of my father listening to Merle Haggard's first hit records. Swinging Doors, The Bottle Let Me Down, Okie, Daddy Frank. He read all the album liner notes, as I have done likewise for forty plus years now--and he'd say "Just listen to Roy Nichols and Norman Hamlet!" So I come by it naturally. Dad used to say he was Merle's biggest fan, until I was born; then he was bumped down to #2 !

Dad was in the Korean conflict, and once when he and some buddies were on leave in Seoul or wherever, they went to a pawn shop and bought instruments. Those who could play, taught everybody else as best they could. He'd always wanted guitar lessons; but my granny insisted he take piano. He hated it, although he could play piano pretty well. He used to kid my Granny that he had to get drafted and risk his life overseas to get his hands on a guitar.

Dad started teaching me on an old Harmony archtop acoustic when I was probably 11 or 12. When I was 14, he got me a Gibson SJ Deluxe that I played for years.
    When I was college age, and had my first Tele, and was confident enough to audition for and play in and eventually front bands, he never missed one of our shows if he could help it. He was absolutely my biggest fan till he died in April 2007.

My mother was a classically trained pianist, by the way. She could play ANYTHING as long as she could read sheet music. It always amazed and slightly nettled her that I can barely figure out time signature, let alone sight read.

She nor my stepfather ever once heard me play onstage. I loved her playing, and she loved mine, but she thought guitar was for lowlife types. And it probably is :lol:.

Sorry for the long post. I've been thinking about all my deceased family lately, and potentially losing my current young family to another. So this one pulled my chain, as it were.

If there's a topic (other than dogs) around here that brings tears to my old eyes, we found it.

Thanks again BrookdaleBill for your post, which encouraged mine. Thank you very much the OP for an awesome thread..and thanks for the music Dad, one more time.

I sure miss him.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  18. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Great thread OP and all of you!

leonard d rock and SapoAmpRepair like this.
  19. meadwill

meadwill TDPRI Member

My grandmother is the one who I need to thank for music. She was a harpist and pianist. She would take me out to eat places that jazz trios were playing. She would play the piano until my sister and I fell asleep when we would stay over. Much love to my Grandma Rose.

RobRiggs, Got Twang and SapoAmpRepair like this.
  20. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

My own dad was a reprobate and a compulsive liar.

And I was long estranged from him when he passed a few years ago.

But he did, subliminally, in the early 1960's, pass onto to me an appreciation for the recorded sounds of Hank Williams, Charlie Pride, Johnny Cash, Perez Prado, Herb Alpert And The Tijuana Brass, and many others.

Cheers to you, old man.
    I hope your passing was painless, and wherever you are today, I hope they issued you asbestos boots and a fire-proof jump-suit.

:(

[​IMG]

Mad Kiwi likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.