Thanks dad.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Doctorx33, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

My father, circa 1941-42. When a man becomes a father there is no instruction manual. He had his failures as a parent but he, along with thousands of other men, saved the world from madness as members of the Greatest Generation.

Thanks dad, for this and the other good things you did.

10EF7DCB-4218-426A-AAF7-D77832A3FF10.jpeg C99D3918-073C-4B43-847B-89D8067D3162.jpeg

2. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

Just watched a documentary on WW2 a couple days ago. Those guys, and your dad, were heroes.

Doctorx33 and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  3. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

What those guys went through in WWII was nuts. My grandfather and his brothers were drafted from the Japanese internment camps. He came back just before the war was over and stayed with his family in camp until they were released. In my opinion everyone who served is a hero.

4. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Good post. I thought about my dad yesterday. He had a lot of failings including being physically abusive but he was total off the boat peasant family who was a WWII vet, did much with GI bill (became highly educated), and taught important things too.

I went to an inflation calculator knowing the story of both my parents' families arriving here with nothing. With what would have been $250 and $570 loans today their families went from having the clothes on their backs and some bible for education to serving the country, formal education, entrepreneurs and professionals. I can't imagine being a kid in a family with that much nothing and accomplishing what my parents did but it still happens. In my dad's case of WWII vet, GI bill made all the difference.

To be fair, I still believe a lot of greatness goes on but it might not be so obvious if we're living comfortably ourselves.

Lake Placid Blue and Doctorx33 like this.
  5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My dad taught me a lot of things, how to hop a freight, panhandle a meal, find a place to sleep where you wouldn't get rousted during the night, and how to keep warm without any heat. He also by doing just the opposite of what he should have instilled in me the desire to see being a parent through. In some twisted way daddy I owe being a good dad to you.

Doctorx33, Lake Placid Blue and imwjl like this.
  6. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Very interesting in that I feared being a parent - fear of repeating some of what my dad did. So far it’s working out. It might be fair for me to repeat the same last sentence.

Doctorx33 and Toto'sDad like this.
  7. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

My Dad was awesome! A total family man. I was lucky they decided to have me after five other kids. I tried to model my adult life after what he accomplished. He was always a homeowner and now so am I. He worked at the same job until he retired and so did I. He got a pension after he retired and now so am I.

Lake Placid Blue and Doctorx33 like this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I had a great lunch at my younger son's house yesterday along with my daughter and her husband. My son the engineer is efficient even at cooking, he's fun to watch do anything. Both of our kids give us credit for teaching them to be responsible adults, owning property, and generally trying to contribute to society, rather than be a drain on it. I don't know whether the credit is actually due, but I do know that my kids have all turned out way beyond any expiations I might have had for them. My oldest son if only he were still here would have made the day complete. I am a blessed man to have had the children all turn out so well. Somewhere in time, we are all together again.

Doctorx33, imwjl and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My Dad joined the USAF in 1950 to fight in Korea.
    He got deployed to the Japanese Sea, but luckily never saw action.
    The ceasefire occurred on his way there.
    He said the only action he saw was the shark he caught on the liberty ship.
    He served for twenty years.
    I’m very proud of my cool, ultra capable, late father.

Doctorx33 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.